Red Hill Elementary School 2

Posted September 10, 2014
This review is way overdue. Two of my kids attended this school for four years. There're some good teachers whom we loved. When my son was in 4th grade, his teacher literally put him under microscope. Everything he did was wrong or not good enough (nothing positive environment). Apparently none of his work deserves an A in her class. The following year we moved to northern Virginia where the level of education has always been way the highest in the nation. My son scored all A's and he had done very well ever since. One day he was accused of having his cold snot flying into a girl's plate. The same girl who loved following him around and daunting him. So the vie principal put him in a "punishment seat" at lunch time. Two weeks went by without us knowing it (unlike the days of having twitter or Facebook). When we finally got the word, we called the school. The vice principal apologized for totally forgetting about the boy sitting on the special seat.

Posted May 11, 2014
This is a good school with good teachers who care about the students. The building is a bit old and the lay out can be inconvenient and the staff is very friendly. I have two children at this school and this is by far one of the best schools they have attended. We are a military family so we were a bit worried about the level of education before moving here but our children were actually a bit behind compared to the mainland. Thankfully they have good teachers whom you can communicate well with to make sure your child catches up with the rest of the class. The parking is a problem there but really, most of the schools my children have attended have that same issue. The level of education is very good and the school is very family and military friendly.

Posted February 28, 2014
We're military, so we've seen a lot of different schools. This is BY FAR the worst Ive ever witnessed. The office staff is rude and unhelpful. The teachers don't "teach" they simply give tons of worksheets every day. Pages and pages and pages of worksheets for homework. The children don't color or cut or glue things. Just worksheets. The children are forced to serve lunch in the cafeteria to other students. Children are kept back from lunch until they finish their work, or told to eat lunch at their desks while they work. The school sent home a letter saying DONT call and ask to give a kid a message because it wont happen. So there is no way to let your child know her sister went home sick or not to stay for tutoring because Dad is working late. Safety is absolutely not a priority. Children roam the campus freely all day. If you are thinking of sending your child here, go to the school. Walk in a random classroom, walk around, go eat lunch. No one will stop you. No one will ask you why you're there or what you're doing. See how easy it would be to abduct a child or harm a child.

Posted October 02, 2012
I am proud of this school! The teachers, staff and principal strive for continuous improvement. Reading scores in the last year have jumped 25% to 91% of all student proficient and 80% proficient (18% gain) in math. They work hard on providing rigorous and relevant instruction for all students. Teachers also analyze data frequently to improve their instruction. Extra curricular activites and additional learning opportunities are provided beyond the school day. The campus has a welcoming environment, maintained grounds, and well kept classrooms. The students are fortunate to have newly renovated classrooms, updated furniture and the latest technology with smartboards in every classroom, and hundreds of computers on campus. You would be pleased of the outcome if your child went to this school. Red Hill Elementary is a school to be proud of!

Posted May 22, 2012
Bullies abound at this school and the staff does nothing unless a parent gets involved. I have pulled my 5th grader out of this school after numerous phone calls and conversations with the principal and superintendant. Teachers swear at the kids. The office staff is rude and not helpful. If your child is in SPED, this school will hold them back, not help them move foward. Security is non existant. Anyone can walk onto campus where students are roaming around without staff supervision. I would strongly recommend you get a Geographical Exception for your child to attend another school if this is your home school.

Posted May 04, 2012
HORRIBLE SCHOOL!! Refused to let a 5y/o eat because of a negative ascot balance! But, never informed the parents of the negative balance! I garauntee they would call the parent on the spot if the child was sick. But, they can't call the get a payment from the parent to ensure the child eats. BEWARE!

Posted February 25, 2012
I don't normally write reviews ... but I'm a military mother and have 2 children that attend Red Hill elementary. Like most military parents, I read the reviews posted online, talk to friends, and speak with military officials BEFORE sending my children to a new school. RED HILL has definitely IMPRESSED me and my family! The campus is clean, students wear uniforms, teachers are warm, the nurse does follow up calls, there's a military liaison ON CAMPUS, & they offer great programs my kids never had before! Last year they hosted a family READING program (free dinner, prizes, and books!), SCIENCE night w/ an indoor planetarium, science experiments, & an astronomy club with huge telescopes, MATH night that gives you access to a free online tutoring program, ART night w/ student performances and artwork, ukulele & hula lessons in school, summer school, FREE after school art classes (just helped w/snacks), Fall Fair, Christmas activities, book fairs, popcorn & lemonade, and much more! Don't believe everything you read, this school is a jewel! I moved but still bring my kids here on a GE, we love it that much! FYI: classes got big & we got NEW teachers in the 3rd qtr, hows that for good?

Posted February 24, 2012
Absolutely one of the most unorganized schools I have ever had to be a part of. I am seriously considering taking my children out and homeschooling them. Teachers cursing & children behaving however they choose with no consequences! It is down right appalling!

Red Hill Elementary School 4

Posted September 27, 2011
I have a daughter who attends red Hill and one who graduated this past school year. When they first started, the school had a "4". I was very concerned when they first started because they came from an excellent school in CA. My oldest daughter was fortunate enough to get a great teacher her last year and excelled as usual. I was skeptical about my youngest daughters teacher initially but she came from an immersion school and it was only her second year teaching 4th grade outside of the immersion schools. I guess she learned from her first year and my daughter did great. Initially, I didnt want my children to attend this school but now I am concerned my youngest may not be able to complete her time there. I was really hoping that she gets the same sixth grade teacher my oldest daughter had when her last year comes up. He really prepped the kids for life outside of elementary. He had them do things that were being done already in the local MS and HS so they would know what to expect. Dont let the numbers fool you. This has been a great school so far.

Posted June 17, 2009

Red Hill Elementary School
1265 Ala Kula Place, Honolulu, HI  96819
Last modified Red Hill Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Red Hill Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top