Admiral Arthur W Radford High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1309 students

Posted March 30, 2014

Awesome school. Being a retired Navy .The ROTC PROGRAM IS AWESOME.GREAT LEADERSHIP!!! My daughter is a sophomore ,3 sport student athlete and maintain a 3.8 gpa.Had a lil problem at first with the volleyball coaches, they have gotten better .New ones. Basketball coaches awesome and Track Coaches awesome. I would like to be an assistant coach for JV girls. They got a lot of talent at that school. Military kids and local community kids. Great combination. Parents just have to me involved with there child activities. . GO RAMS!!!!!!

Posted March 22, 2014

The worst school my kids have ever attended for athletics. Academics is OK, but the athletic dept is horrendous. From what I have seen, most coaches are very biased toward the local kids. You can be one of the best persons on your team, but if you aren't from Hawaii, you will be treated like dirt. Tried talking to AD and several coaches (from different sports), but it goes in ear and out the other. There is never any positive reinforcement from the coaches. It always negative...negative...negative. This absolutely the worst experience my children have ever had. What makes it worse, is that it isn't just one sport. It is the same across several different sports.

Posted February 17, 2013

Radford is really an awesome school. It may not be the "best" but it's still a great school. The people are laid back, but you can still learn in a relaxed environment. The majority of the teachers really do care and the academics are as good as any and if you need more of a challenge just go into honors or AP courses. There are plenty of clubs and sports and things to get involved in if you just put yourself out there. And there really aren't any racial issues at this school (this is coming from a haole military kid). It is culturally diverse and if you're worried about it then just change your attitude, come in with an open mind and respect the hawaiians and their culture and you won't have any problems, to be honest, they're extremely nice and willing to meet you as long as you don't come in with an "I'm better than you" attitude. I couldn't be happier with the people that I have met and the experiences I've had. I encourage you to try the school, and then, if you don't like it, sure you can send your kid to a private school that's going to cost you thousands of dollars, but you're still going to encounter similar problems at any school you go to.

Posted August 7, 2009

I'm just a Freshmen at this school and in my opinion, Radford's quality depends on how you see it. This year, I happen to get most of the best teachers I could possibly have. I really appreciate how diverse the ethnicities are here. I'm quite dissappointed with some the regular core classes because some teachers can't discipline the students well. On the other side, Honors or G/T classes greatly changes how much I learn because of the decent teachers and I'm fotunate for that. That's how I see Radford as I deeply carve myself in to see Radford's real nature. Even some electives dramatically changes your experience at this school. I took Band and I'm really getting disciplined appropriately. Radford is a decent school and is getting better.

Posted December 2, 2007

I graduated radford a few years ago and am now in medical school in Philadelphia (Jefferson). I can tell you that the most important thing to choosing a school is how well you as a parent emphasize utilizing high school to prep for college. Looking back I can say that there were some teachers who inspired me and some didn't. But overall I took advantage of what the school offered. Why? because of my upbringing. If you are a military parent, you must also realize that some people in the island have some tension against military people. Some students due to the 'local' upbringing in which their parents or parents parents were exposed to racial or ethnic discrimination. But not Radford. Radford is probably the most diverse public school in Hawaii. Also enroll you children in honors and AP classes that helped

Posted July 13, 2007

Honestly, Radford is just an okay school, there is no way it can be labeled as the best, but it does provide the most suitable environment for the military student. I have met with the principal on several occasions and he does what he can for the students. The teachers are not top notch quality, though there are a good handful, but they, too, are decent. There are many extracurricular activities, and new one's are always welcomed as long as they are appropriate. However we could use more parent involvement. Safety is important and well cared for, while discipline is a third of what can be called the school's mantra: Discipline, Respect, and Responsibility. Overall, it is a 3, because it has its strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, its the students that make the school. Also, the band is not where it could and should be, because the closeness of Moanolua HS.

Posted February 23, 2007

I am a proud graduate of Radford and would like to report that I, and my 5 closest friends, are all very successful in our post Radford schooling. I will admit that not all of my teachers were enthusiastic about their work, but that can be encountered anywhere. I graduated 6th in the class and now attend a highly accredited Private University (Union) Radford is what the student makes of it, you can slack your way into graduation, or try hard and excel.

Posted November 2, 2006

Like a couple of others I had, and still have, many great memories of Radford. I was given the opportunity to learn as much or as little as I wanted and fortunately for my parents, teachers, coaches and administrative staff I have succeeded in everything I try.

Posted October 28, 2006

i feel that as a current student at this school..it is a good school...good athletics, good teachers....just because a school looks nice doesnt mean nothing....it depends on the child, and this is a good school. Mainland education is better, but Radford is a good school, no matter how much mess ppl may talk about it, were still a agood school, and if your child isnt succeeding, then maybe your doing something wrong....its all up to the child whether he/she wants a agood education or not...regardless what school he/she goes to.

Posted October 23, 2006

I attended Radford High for the first two years of my high school career. Belonging to a military family, I transferred to a school in the mainland and found that I was lacking knowledge in basic subjects and therefore, I could not move on in my education until I had repeated those basic courses. However, I do have to say that the athletics and extra-curricular activities were enjoyable and well-organized.

Posted June 3, 2006

Great school, there is an ohana feel to it. The music program has improved so much and is continue to be built up strongly. Every area of the school has been improving greatly under the leadership of robert stevens.

Posted April 15, 2006

Many classes are available, although the quality of instruction has left something to be desired. Rare homework assignments, low expectations. I have had two children in this school. My last only for freshman year. He has been pulled to go to private school. I don't feel confident this school can adequately prepare him to college and beyond.

Posted October 31, 2005

Two generations of my family have gone to Radford. Because we are a military family, my sons have attended mainland schools as well. The person who stated (Feb 2005) that Radford is considered the best school on the island is repeating military chatter. I've lived in Hawaii most of the past 30 years and can say that several schools have better reputations (McKinley, Moanalua etc.). Often mainland newcomers consider Radford the 'best' because it has the highest percentage of mainland students. Radford's buildings are becoming quite run down. Like any other school, some teachers are dedicated and others can't wait to retire, and it shows. My children felt much more safe at Radford than at schools in Virginia and California. Overall, Radford is average.

Posted October 7, 2005

Ok school. Academics are a little lower than what you would find at a mainland school. Good athletic program.

Posted June 2, 2005

I graduated from here several years ago, along with losing my transcripts and then sending out the wrong ones to the colleges I applied to this school was amoung the worst for both academics and extra-cirrcular...I go go on and on.

Posted March 29, 2005

I am a proud graduate of this high school and would happily send my children to this school except that I live in Michigan now. As a student and scholar athlete I was always encouraged by my teachers as well as counselors to strive and do well. The English writing program and Math really helped me prepare for College. I am now working on my Doctorate in Physical Therapy and all because Radford provided a very solid educational foundation for me. I was captain of the volleyball and track and field team and graduated with Honors. I am grateful to all the teachers, coaches and counselors who have helped me be successful in life!

Posted February 19, 2005

I have 2 children attending this school and it the worst school I ever encountered. There is no encouragement from teachers to the students to strive for there future. What is worst of all is this school is considered the best on the Island. If moving here consider private or home schooling.

Grade level

Biology I

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

331 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

331 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Source: Hawaii Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 26% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4361 Salt Lake Blvd