PK-6 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Mokulele Elementary School 5

Posted August 08, 2015
My 3 children have attended Mokulele for the past 3 years and we have been very happy with our experience here. We have found it to be small and safe. Several teachers are stand-outs in commitment and professionalism: Mrs. Furukawa, Ms. Luckie, Mrs. Levinson, and Mrs. Kajiyama are 1st-rate teachers. All grades have parent orientations to keep you in-the-know. There are several ways this school stands out from others in the area: There is a music program! All grades get to attend once a week classes with Mrs. Okinishi. As a bonus: 3rd gr learns recorder & 4th gr learns ukulele. After school, she offers extra classes in many types of instruments. My children are learning guitar and percussion. There is also an after-school art program. The 2nd grade brings in a professional artist during the year to teach workshops. My older boys have especially loved being members of TROOPS (recess monitors) and JPO (Jr. Police officers) where they learn drills, discipline, and peer mediating. The many field trips have been fun and educational: Hawaii Youth Symphony, Theatre, Aquarium, and Kaneohe Fish Pond were some favorites. The negative reviews from others regarding curriculum are not valid because, as of last year, Common Core was implemented in all public schools across the nation. Now the curriculum is THE SAME, NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO! Like it or not (I actually don't like it), that's the way it is everywhere. I feel that, where possible, it's important for parents to be involved in their children's school, as it helps them excel to their best ability. Mokulele has provided that opportunity for us.

Posted February 11, 2015
The teachers and principal do not know how to communicate. It has been a long hard for to get them to do anything for my son who has special needs. They do not know how to follow an IEP. They give the impression that since this is a military school the kids are only there for a sorry time do why bother try to teach them any thing. Worst school ever

Mokulele Elementary School 4

Posted January 19, 2015
My son loves this school. It is within walking distance of our home and it really supports the base community. The school welcomes volunteers and has a great appreciation for the many parents available to help. The PTO runs many fun family activities throughout the year. I have never run into any problems with the staff and have seen teachers up working late into the evenings either in school sponsored events or up in their classrooms.

Posted November 06, 2014
My son's experience at Mokulele was awful. He lasted there less than 1 semester before we decided homeschool was a far better option. The classroom was chaotic, the teacher had no control, and the principal did nothing to resolved any of the issues we had. My son had zero academic challenge there and seldom knew what homework to do because it was never made clear. I wished it had been run by DoDS schools.

Posted November 05, 2014
I took out my kids and home school them now. The curriculum is well below the schools we came from, by about 2 grade levels. The teacher my daughter had was teaching improper English as correct... very frustrating and now I am having to back track and correct it. When my daughter got in trouble for reading after she finished her work she was held in during outside time. She was not allowed to work on homework during school even when her classwork was completed. There is a limited play area at the school and little playground equipment, which is frequently taken away as punishment. There are no after school programs to speak of unless you count daycare.

Posted January 14, 2014
This school is awful. You, as a parent, are only valued if you are a volunteer and ONLY if you are a SELECT volunteer. So, if you're not in the clique, you aren't going to be listened to. Instead, you will be treated terribly. In truth, the staff treats ALL military families like second class citizens because they aren't local and don't care about the bullying, the subpar curriculum, and talk behind your back - and if you are lucky RIGHT TO YOUR FACE! If I had it to do over again, we would've turned down our orders to come here since our child has been bullied, abused by a teacher, and struggled academically since coming here and the school does not care. Oh, and there's no one to complain to because we're not from here so we don't matter!

Mokulele Elementary School 3

Posted October 30, 2013
Teachers don't take parent input into consideration. They blame lower test scores on students instead of the lack of time students spend at school. I'd love to get a half day once a week and gobs of days off in a school year. The school would improve if it had to follow more strict standards. If it was made into an actual DoD school that would help a lot too.

Mokulele Elementary School 5

Posted January 18, 2013
This school is awful? I seriously doubt it. This is one of the best schools that I have ever been to. Someone is making a poor judgment call. I am 36 years old now and living in Illinois. I highly recommend that any military family moving to Hickam Air Force Base enroll their children in Mokulele Elementary to get their education. I went to school here in 1987-1989. It has been 24 years since I left that school and to this very day, I still think about the good times I had at Mokulele. I had very little problems there. Avoid avoid avoid? Not not not!!

Posted May 28, 2012
This school is awful! If you can avoid it at all costs, please do for the sake of you and your children! My child excels academically and has a fairly easy time making friends, but the bullying at this school is WAY out of control! My child was threatened by another child that he was going to beat her up after school and my daughter told the teacher out of fear and the teacher told her to deal with it because class was almost over!!!! This is just one of the many issues we have had! I have had countless meetings with the principal who refuses to admit that this school has a bullying problem. The academic situation is even worse! They only care about the students who will get them closer to getting grants (those students who score higher on state tests!) if your child has difficulty learning...forget it! AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!!!!!!

Mokulele Elementary School 3

Posted July 18, 2011
As military families, we don't often have a lot of choice in the schools our children attend-because we have to live on or near base..We are very disappointed with the Hawaii school systems and their level of academics. That being said, Mokulele is a nice school. The staff really do care about the children and they do.. ok.. with the curriculum they're given. I think they could focus more on academics, and less on school events, brush bot competitions and recess. My girls can play at home. We do feel like its necessary to supplement the kids outside of school..but that would be the case for any school in Hawaii. That is why I give 3 stars in teacher quality. They are all very sweet people, every one of them. I just wish my kids were being challenged more. Over all, Mokulele is a safe, fun place for your kids to attend. It will do...

Mokulele Elementary School
250 Aupaka St, Honolulu, HI  96818
Last modified Mokulele Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mokulele Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top