Lt Col Horrace Meek Hickam Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted February 21, 2009

My children have attended Hickam from grades K-3. Overall, I find this school lacking in many areas, first and foremost the principal. He does not interact with students, does not enter the classrooms to do observations, etc. Thankfully, he is retiring. One of my children has an IEP and it has been very hard getting help at Hickam. They focus mainly on the IEP meetings but making sure the teachers follow through on plans and goals is pretty much non-existent. I have only met the Special Services Coordinator once as he is too busy to attend meetings. Most grades lesson plan together- kind of a cookie cutter approach to learning- and I have not seen any teacher who puts forth any effort to be an individual or go beyond just learning the curriculum. My children's grades, and interest in school have dropped dramatically.

Posted December 23, 2008

Our son has been attending HES since July and has a wonderful teacher who unfortunatley has far too many students (35!) in the classroom. Consequently, he is unable to stay on task and our son is suffering because of this. We will be either homeschooling or sending him to a private school after the Holiday break.

Posted September 1, 2008

My son went to Hickam Elementary K-2nd grades(2004-2007). He had the most wonderful teachers each year. We moved into one of the top schools in Kettering, OH and my son was more than prepared for the mainland school. Parents count your blessing that your child is being educated at HES.

Posted June 27, 2008

This School was wonderful for First and Second Grades. Third grade seemed to focus on the Standerized Testing and not actual learning. Parent envolvement is awesome. The AC's are nice. However the classrooms are overcrowded and very dark since there are no actual glass windows.

Posted March 6, 2008

School did not provide resources to meet IEP goals and then took credit for any progress without acknowledging parent's extensive after-school efforts and investments. If not for my son's 5th grade teacher's exceptional efforts, I would've only given this school 1 star!

Posted October 11, 2007

I have to say that this is an awesome school. This school ha[s] air conditioning now - by the way, the students, parents, & teachers worked really hard for it. While other schools in the state are struggling with outdated books and materials, high teacher turnover, and failing test scores, HES families have the biggest frustration with air-conditioning (few schools have it). Parent involvement is huge in this school The staff is very strong - the test scores are far higher than most schools in the state. The kids actually love their school!

Posted August 22, 2007

The school is nice due to location and now that my children all have ac they seem to be coping better. If you have children who have LD or ADHD or Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD), this school is very difficult to deal with. It is very time consuming and stressful to deal with the special education department. Overall, most teachers I have experince with are nice but the school does seem to be more focused on recess, child lunchroom labor and waiver days. Also, lots of homework. If you can, homeschool, but if you can't just stay really involved.

Posted July 4, 2007

My son attended Hickam kidergarten through second grade. He had wonderful teachers and excelled in all subject. We are leaving the area this summer and my son is leaving with a positive attitude towards learning and respect for teachers. Hickam needs a principal and vice principal that have an interest in students. Parents participation is great and really encouraged. Overall this is a great school.

Posted June 26, 2007

The school does a good job of organizing and managing behavior for over 800 students, but the curriculum is lacking, especially in Math, where I'm schooling my son over the summer to catch up to skills the Scholastic workbook says he should know. I'm not really satisfied about the level of feedback from the teacher - not enough of work went home on a timely basis to really know how my son was doing. It is for these reasons, and my son's desire to homeschool that we will be doing 3rd grade at home next year. I can't really rate the principal leadership since I've never met him and have only seen him around the campus about two times in the year we were there.

Posted June 19, 2007

If your child has ADD or ADHD, do not send your child here. While the counsellors are ok, the teachers and school leadership does not seem to really care about developing my child. I've been disappointed year after year with Hickam Elementary School's ability to cope with my childs mild condition. My other child is doing ok, but I'm not sure either child will be able to keep up with curriculum once we have to move. Hickam does two things well. Field Trips and music program. While I appreciate the effort in these areas, I would also appreciate teachers not placing so much emphasis on a school musical and more emphasis on math, reading, science, social studies. This leadership at the school also pushes a lot of Chinese and Hawaiian heritage, but not much American history.

Posted May 20, 2007

For the most part we have enjoyed Hickam. I believe the overall success of Hickam is due to the many wonderful and caring teachers, the PTO, PCNC, and to all the parent volunteers. I feel that the principal, Mr. Okino is absent minded when it come to his role as a principle. I feel that he needs to listen more to the parents as well as staff when problems are brought to his attention. In my eyes he makes no real attempt to get to know his parents or students and that if it were not for the dedication of so many others, Hickam Elementary School would not have such a high approval rating with parents. As far as extracurricular activities, there could be more, but not being a DOD school, resources are limited, which is a shame.

Posted February 20, 2007

Both of my kids attend Hickam right now. Son is in preschool and daughter is in 6th grade. All teachers have been wonderful and they've gotten a great education so far. But, I think it helps that I as a parent participate alot with the school.

Posted January 23, 2007

My children have attended Hickam for two years now. They both have had exceptional teachers. By the end of the school year all classrooms will be air-conditioned, while most Hawaiian schools are not. Each class has two class parents and most have multiple volunteers for parties, tutoring, Xeroxing, etc. It is wonderful! In addition, the PTO is very active and really supports multiple activities. My kids love it here. On the downside, I am not happy with the new statewide grading system. I do not believe in it..it is too subjective. As well, the school does need more playground equipment. All in all, no need to homeschool in my opinion.

Posted January 16, 2007

Yes, the school is old. The 06-07 PTO has put ALL their focus on air conditioning the school with noisy window units. I think the current PTO has lost focus and needs to support more than just a/c. Mr. Okino needs to stand behind his teachers and staff and make things better for the children at Hickam.

Posted January 6, 2007

We are proud Hawaiian people our buildings here in Hawaii are old. Why? Because they are historical. As for Hickam it is a great school. Our girls have done awesome and with one having a handicap they do great working with her. Our schools are great and any help from parents is always appreciated. MAHALO and Aloha

Posted November 15, 2006

True the school is one of the better public schools on Oahu but if you expect your child to be prepared for school on a regular curriculum like it is done on the mainland you will be in for a huge disappointment. There are just too few teachers with the true motivation it takes to teach especially with overly crowded, hot classrooms. The school is what it is because of the parent involvement.

Posted February 18, 2006

Hickam is an old school, that is a fact. The classrooms were just renovated this year and they look nice. The teachers my children have had over the years have been great. I feel my children will be prepared for the next grade level when we leave Hawaii. Not many rooms have air conditioning, but the children adapt well. Like the fact that the children wear uniforms. Lots of parent involvement. We were told we may not want to take an assignment in Hawaii because of the schools. I am glad we didn't listen. Hickam is a great school..even without a/c

Posted February 9, 2006

My daughter has attended HES for two years now and is doing very well (Student of the Qtr both years). I thank both of her teachers for her success, but I also feel that we (her parents) have contributed equally. We talk with her about her day and make sure that her homework is the first thing done after school. We also introduce her to additional school work type activities to increase her awareness and pique her interest. Yes, I agree that HES is old and in desparate repair, but go for a ride around Oahu and check out some of the other schools. Is that a good excuse, No, but it is a fact. The condition of the school should have little bearing on how well your child performs at school.

Posted February 3, 2006

Decent school. The four teachers my children have had were great. Needs more air conditioned class rooms.

Posted February 1, 2006

Excellent school, great gifted program. This is a top public elementary school. My son went on to Punahou (the top private school) and was well prepared.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 7%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

825 Manzelman Circle