7-8 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Aliamanu Middle School 4

Posted August 04, 2015
I went to this school fearing it would be hard since I'm military but it's not. This school is very diverse and easy to make any friends. Yes this school isn't the cleanest but, they redid many things and the campus has gotten much better. The teachers are nice and challenge you. I learned a lot and when I needed help with anything, they were always there for you. If you feel that your child could do much better, they have advanced classes for those that can learn faster than others. Over all the school isn't all that bad... It's easy to learn your way around and easy to get help if needed. This school is quick to judge but the two years I attended, my perspective changed.

Posted April 07, 2015
I am a student at Aliamanu Middle School. I am very disappointed at this schools cleanliness and food and teaching! The teachers don't even teach new things! And there bathroom smells and the toilets and sinks are constantly overflowing! And the food! Let's just say it's unspeakable!! There was a cockroach in my friends food and one day for lunch they served canned spinach and rice. And their rice taste like dirty dish water. So I DEFINITELY POSITIVELY 100% encourage you to send you child to another school! This school sucks!!

Posted January 28, 2015
No stars if I could give them that. Even if you come to the school with an education plan for your child, the staff does not review it to see what was done to help your child. The teachers and staff will claim "I didn't know that" and blame you for not telling them--even when it is clearly stated that your child has an accommodation plan. One teacher in particular will question your parenting skills, but will tell you that they are not criticizing you, "Just making an observation and opinion." Well, if it's not criticizing, then what do you call it when you say "It all starts at home"? Perhaps someone should question her teaching abilities and methods? kind of strange to have only one teacher have problems with the child when the others do not. Unfortunately, as a parent, there isn't much you can do because the school admin will always side with their teachers. Too bad we don't have any other choice for where we can send our kids for middle school--unless you can afford private school or are lucky enough to get a transfer to another school. The rest of us are stuck with this poor excuse for a school unless we either move or homeschool (not always an option either).

Posted January 18, 2015
If I could give negative stars, I would. We have been through this school with several of our children, and have had both ends of the spectrum in terms of experiences--the "great and wonderful" and the "awful and terrible." An earlier review stated parents should "walk the talk" and work with the schools...trust me, even when you do that, it doesn't make it all "sugar and spice." AMS only wants to help those students who are an asset to the school and will help to fix the bad reputation this school has. I know because my kids were some of those great kids and the school would bend over backwards for them. But if you have a child who needs help, and is considered "too much work" or has a learning disability they are not familiar with, then they don't care; even with education plans in place. The Principal/VP do not listen to parents's concerns. They tell you know they know better because they are in the system. As a military family, we always worry about whether our children will be behind when they relocate back to the Mainland. This is not our first time in this school or even second, and from my experience, AMS' education philosophy is still at least 20-30 years behind.

Posted March 28, 2014
There are a few fantastic Teachers at this school and there are some horrible ones. The office front staff is always great and friendly. Front office staff is always helpful with everything you need. The assitant principal is wonderful and helpful. We are a Navy family and have 5 years on this island my daughter has had one year at this school. If your kid needs help in school and you are looking for teacher to parent communication and cooperation from the school you wont find it here. You get excuses from the counselor and a lot of empty words from teachers. Also got some thinly veiled hostile remarks from one teacher at a conference in front of my child. I have another mid currently in elementary school here and will not send him to this middle school when his time comes. We are not new to hawaii but this school is nit doing its job correctly.

Aliamanu Middle School 3

Posted June 09, 2013
We're a military family & our son went to AMS for 7th & 8th grades. {On island for 3 years.} He's small & was a target for bully's - by other military kids. It happened but not to great difficulty. I heard bad things about AMS but experienced very little problems. I saw more 'bad' parents than 'bad' students, 'bad' teachers or faculty. I would say I spent a good amount time at the school for many reasons & the staff always made the effort. I rarely saw an ineffective employee - no matter where they worked. I even volunteered to help the lunchroom & the staff was great. We are now on the mainland (TX) & both our kids are in a highly rated school district. I was worried that maybe there would be some catch up but my son finished w/B+ & daughter (5th) w/A, enrolling in AP/TAG classes. Involved parents make more of a difference to helping the Hawaii State education, which has problems but every state has it's issues. Aliamanu is a good school but it needs improvement like many US school. Most helpful advise: parents who work WITH THE STAFF & drop the "at my last school" mentality that seems to drive most of the parents who write "not so helpful" rants. Walk the talk.

Aliamanu Middle School 2

Posted May 08, 2013
My daughter is about to complete 8th grade after being here for both years. She has had a few teachers that have been terrific by providing challenging assignments and being fair to the students. However, there are an equal number of teachers that do not communicate, hand out F's/D's with no feedback as to why?, tell the kids they don't like them and use profanity. Also expect your child to have a sub on a regular basis. Another problem is the limited communication-important things like ACT/HSA tests, award ceremonies, schedule changes are rarely communicated. Students have morning announcements--but it doesn't mean the information gets home. The staff at the front desk are always kind and I know the Asst. Principal has her hands full with the constant problems from gangs, fighting & bullying. Parents who can't afford to send their child to private school or home-school are left with little options. The best thing to do is try to get a GE for Moanalua MS, if you don't want your child to go here. Overall, my daughter made a lot of friends at this school & learned a whole lot of "street level" culture....she will need to have a tutor when we head to the mainland.

Posted May 07, 2013
DO NOT have your child attend this school. There are fights almost every day, the children aren't disciplined enough, and there are also reports of drugs, gangs, and sex. Do not attend this school

Aliamanu Middle School 5

Posted March 11, 2013
I attended this school from 1968-1970. It was called Aliamanu Intermediate School. I received a wonderful education. Mr. Miwa was the band director and he taught me to play the saxophone. Mrs. Lansden, Mr. Uehara...they all were great. We lived on Hickam Air Force Base... and Aliamanu was a clean and beautiful school. Yes, occasionally fights broke out between the locals and the haoles...but you just needed to treat each other with respect, and most of the time confrontation could be avoided. We had many school affiliated clubs and the teachers were very willing to stay after school and tutor you if need be. Parents were very involved in the PTA, which served to enhance our education. Our Principal was always very visible on campus, as were our teachers at change of classes. I am sorry to read all of the negative comments about this school. A school is what you make of it. Malahini's to the island need to realize that this is NOT the mainland. This is Hawaii with varied cultural differences. Military children come and go, but the local children form strong bonds from K-12. Courtesy and respect will still go along way in establishing friendships. Aloha and Mahalo for reading.

Posted January 25, 2013
Should be a ZERO star. Horrid school. To echo the first reviewer, run from this school. Our son is an 8th grader at this school. From day1 it has been nothing short of a nightmare. He has been in this place a whopping two weeks and I'm ready to pull him out. On his very first day, his history teacher purposely kept him after class so he would miss the bus. Our son insisted he had to go or the bus would leave him, the teacher kept him anyway. As soon as the busses left, he was permitted to leave. Simply because he didn't like the way my son wrote down an assignment. here in Hawaii IF your child's school even offers a bus (many don't) parents have to pay a hefty fee to use it. About $300/yr. They accept cash only, no refunds. This same teacher is now threatening to dock him points if I do not provide our son with a red ink pen so our son can grade the other students papers! They're not allowed to use lockers, and all but 2 bathrooms are deadbolted! The gym teacher yells and hollers at the kids in a demeaning way. He's been there 2 weeks and has yet to be provided with a math book! In these two weeks he's seen his actual math teacher 3 times, the rest have been substitutes.

Aliamanu Middle School
3271 Salt Lake Blvd, Honolulu, HI  96818
Last modified Aliamanu Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aliamanu Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top