Aliamanu Elementary School 1

Posted May 23, 2014
I am very disappointed in how this school runs things! From the Superintendent to the Principal and Vice Principal! They care more about covering their butts and supporting their teachers instead of the children in the school and in hearing parents complaints! It is ridiculous how they can let the teachers get away with verbally bully students and let children feel like they are nothing and aren't smart enough. I am saying all of this not only from 1 school year experience, but 2. When we first moved here my child had a bad teacher who let bully going on within the students and then try to have my child get in trouble for defending themselves. That is not only the teacher, but the vice principal trying punish my child. Then this year we had it changed around where the teacher herself was verbally bullying my child andI had an investigation opened up on her being that I had the facts come from other children and parents seeing her do it and it was said she was found innocent of it. It is so sad on how the school and teacher gets away with this kind of behavior!

Posted October 01, 2013
The school is really good. I have a K and 6th grader. Both my boys love the school and have made many friends. The only set back was our Kindergarden teacher was moved to another school after the first week of the school year and now after the first quarter there are so many Kindergarten students that they are starting another class so children are being moved around to accomodate. The teachers are very attentive to each of their children. So long as parents are involved in the school and what their child is learning it only helps to ensure their overall success.

Aliamanu Elementary School 5

Posted April 09, 2013
I have a 1st and 4th grader attending Aliamanu Elementary school and we are pleased with the education they are receiving. Dont get me wrong if I had $20,000 to send each of my children to private school I would do it. I miss having music and art for my children but they are doing wonderful in all of the other subjects. We have been blessed some amazing teachers that really give as much as they can to the children. YES funding is low but it is everywhere else. Thats when I donate my time and some supplies to help out my teachers. Number one is be involved. The more I involve myself at the school the more I learn about teachers and staff. There is a lot to make a school run great. Its not just Hawaii that has problems. We are a salty Navy family and move a lot. Dont be afraid of all the bad things people say about this school. Just because ONE teacher does not mesh well with a parent does not make the entire school bad. People judge schools out here so poorly and its truly not fair. Get involved. I did and our first year and a half here has been great and I will have another child attending here in the fall and Im not afraid of her education one bit.

Posted April 06, 2013
I went to this school from K-most of 4th grade. unfortunately i am in a military family. I then moved to Virginia. While I was 2 grade levels ahead in math, science, reading and music, I was behind in history. They teach Hawaiian history a lot more than US history. However that did not stop me from getting perfect scores on all of my end of years tests. While I was there I found my teachers to be very kind and yes the recesses were combined but the Teachers did a great jobs at keeping the kids away from other years and safe. I was very sad when I moved. I am very disappointed that I missed the higher education. If I was to move back as of now, I am in my Junior year of high school, I believe that I would be to far behind Hawaiian schools to graduate. I know I may be a child but take it from someone who has actually experienced the education rather than the parents who aren't actually sitting in the classes with their kids. It was an amazing school. If I could, when I am older and have kids I would send them there.

Posted November 21, 2012
Love this school!! My daughter was there from 1st-3rd and my son k-1st. We live in Ohio now and their teachers here are amazed how advance my kids are. Was told by my daughter's 4th grade teacher that the math she was taught toward the end of 3rd grade (at Aliamanu) was not taught until 5th grade here in Ohio. My son's 2nd grade teacher told me that he was one of the few kids in his class that can write in a complete sentence and well advance in his math. I might have just been really lucky or blessed with the teachers my kids had. Being in the military, we hear a lot about schools at our next base and was told before we got there that Hawaii school were not that great. Well, Aliamanu was one of the better schools. Even comparing with other parents around the island, they were shocked about the work my kids were doing. I do have to say that more parents need to get involved. I was fortunate not to work so I volunteered A LOT of my time at the school and in classrooms. I understand that not all parents can dedicate all their time there but every little time counts for something.

Posted May 23, 2011
Correction: Hawaii state workers are furloughed twice a month, and yet, the teachers do not get the respect they deserve. Parents and teachers have to be good partners on a child's education.

Posted May 12, 2011
I moved near this school 2 yrs ago. I have a 7 yr old that has attended 1st and 2nd grde here and also a 4 yr old son that has been in speech therapy here for 1 1/2 years. Let me start by saying Don't judge a book by its cover. After I saw it and read all of these reveiws I figured it to be a horrible and run down school I even tried to get my daughter geographical excepted in a nearby school before enrolling her here. in fact the staff and everyone here has always been very polite and helpful to me. I worked with many of the staff members to enroll my son in speech therapy , they all were very cooperative the whole way ecspecially his speech teacher Mrs. Ann. my son loves her. Both of my daughter's teachers have been great. I have never had any complaints about this school, something I can't say about a newer school in Ewa beach she attended before this one where the reveiws were all good and I had nothing but problems with it...one more thing I have realized after my experience with reading reveiws before my children started this school is that MOST people do not reveiw if the school is not excelling their expectations or something happen to make it a horrible school

Aliamanu Elementary School 3

Posted May 24, 2010
As with any school, the teachers at Aliamanu Elementary are a mixture of experienced, caring teachers and inexperienced, frustrated teachers. I recommend monitoring your child carefully. If there is a change in your child's behavior or school performance, contact the teacher immediately. Listen to both student and teacher and do what needs to be done to enhance your child's education and well-being. Stay in contact with the teacher and try to make sure s/he is getting what is needed from your child. The principal here is outstanding. She will work until seven or eight at night trying to get everything in order, she makes time for parents and you know she is not getting paid more to do so. Any school has potential if parents pay attention to their child and the school.

Aliamanu Elementary School 1

Posted April 09, 2010
The school has it's priorities confused, the teachers lack creativity and have no control in the classrooms. I have two children there now and luckily one moves on to middle school where I hope that it's more thought out and friendly. I will home school my other child next year as I think my child would learn more from me and won't be crammed or rushed on learning in order to take the HSA. This is the worst school my children have ever attended on the island or the mainland. If I could rate it a zero star, I would.

Posted March 08, 2010
My daughter has been at Aliamanu for a year and has done really well with her teachers. She enjoys her classes and the curriculum has been challenging.

Aliamanu Elementary School
3265 Salt Lake Blvd, Honolulu, HI  96818
Last modified Aliamanu Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aliamanu Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top