Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted March 01, 2016
Thank you to Mr. Ciotti, the school's CEO, for truly putting the kids needs first. All the efforts he's making are to give kids a better learning environment and giving them opportunities to be their best selves.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted March 01, 2016
There is a range in the skills sets of teachers, as with any school. I've been very happy with 80% of the teacher interactions. When I have run into a problem, I can easily seek advice from the school counselor or CEO.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted March 01, 2016
Kids are allowed to experiment and make mistakes, like what happens in the "real world". They're given freedom to problem solve and to come up with solutions on their own (with guidance when they need it).

Posted March 01, 2016
This is the 3rd year our two daughters are at Wai'alae, after transferring from a private school. The focus is truly on the kids and ensuring they have a well rounded education, experiencing integrated learning and personal growth. While test scores are important, certainly, it is not the prime focus of the school. The new CEO (his second year) has brought an invigorating fresh perspective and is implementing changes that make the school even better. I couldn't be happier with our choice, and will be sad when we have to move on after 5th grade.

Posted January 05, 2016
My daughter is currently in 1st grade at this school and she loves it. She attended another public elementary school in the area and there is no comparison. Waialae's teaching philosophy is very hands-on and innovative, instead of just relying on workbooks. They offer extensive extra-curricular programs with dedicated specialty teachers in Art, Music, P.E. Hawaiian, and Gardening! The teachers, CEO, admin staff, and even the after school program leaders are all very thoughtful and caring. Waialae employs their own after school program leaders (not outsourced like many other schools) which in my opinion, makes a difference. I also appreciate the very open and consistent communication I get from the school and teachers. Overall, this school is amazing on all levels and I'm so happy my daughter is getting a whole-child education at Waialae.

Posted June 04, 2015
My daughter went there for 3 years and I love this school. Kids are friendly, happy, the staff is nice and every time I have had any concern, they were really helpful. I was very pleased to know that she was learning in a safe environment. My daughter loved it.

Posted May 07, 2014
The kids at Waialae are friendly, happy, and work well together. The school's holistic approach to education shows in the various extracurricular activities, projects, and field trips they organize. Like any where else, some teachers are great, some are so-so. The school could do a bit more to challenge the advanced kids but other than that, great school.

Waialae Elementary - Public Charter School 4

Posted September 30, 2013
In response to the previous post: "A lot going on behind the scenes at this school, wouldn't send my child there. The CEO is nice, but oblivious. They have trouble hanging on to teachers and not without reason. " I'm not sure where this individual is getting their information if they don't even attend Wai'alae. In regards to teacher turn-over, I don't believe our churn rate unreasonably high. We generally loose teachers to maternity and moving back to the Mainland. We have also lost teachers because they moved abroad, which is a testiment to their adventurous spirit, which we want to foster in our children.

Waialae Elementary - Public Charter School 1

Posted September 29, 2013

Waialae Elementary - Public Charter School 2

Posted May 16, 2013
My daughter 2nd great teacher is AWFUL...very lazy and disorganized, and although we had a parent/teacher/principal meeting...minimal improvements...teacher needs to retire...she is lacking nurture and it has been observed by other parents that the student take advantage of the teacher's lack of focus and laziness. Its a hit or miss with the teachers. 1st grade teacher was excellent! However, as stated previously..this year's 2nd grade teacher terrible! Most likely opting for private school in the Fall. Principal unsupportive, has never followed up since the meeting and she is always in meetings.

1045 19th Ave, Honolulu, HI  96816
Last modified Waialae Elementary - Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.