Royal Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 370 students

Posted May 26, 2013

Both of my children attended Royal School. This is a small school that I didn't really know existed since it was so easy to pass by. I was reluctant to send my children there but did not apply for an GE to any other school. Both my son and daughter enjoyed it a lot. The school's ethnic mixture is well balanced and I really liked that about the school. The teachers are great and they care about their students--willing to help them when they don't understand the work. I believe the parent involvement is extremely LOW--parents if you want your child to get the most out of their education you have to get involved!

Posted September 22, 2012

II don't know why some people say that this school is bad. To be honest I was a student here for 4 years. It was great. I do see some bullying but it gets taking care of right away. And the staff member weren't that mean at all. Everything me and my friends learn in class were challenging and fun. I repeat, this school was great!!

Posted September 10, 2012

I have mixed emotions about Royal school. My daughter has been at this school for three years. I think that academically they are really good. I love that they test the children's math and reading skills and place them in appropriate levels. However my daughter has also been bullied by the same child for three years. This child is the "popular" girl and singles out my daughter. This girl excludes my daughter and makes her come home crying on a regular basis. I have gone to her teachers and counselors regarding this several times. At first they put them both in counseling and it really helped however now the teachers just tell my daughter to buck up. I am disapointed that more isn't done to address this behavior in children attending Royal. There are anti bullying rules on the books they are just not being enforced in my opinion. Royal needs to address bullying and take a stronger stand against it in order to truly shine like I KNOW it can! Royal can be one of the best public schools in town if they address this. I see I am not the only parent with this issue.

Posted May 9, 2012

Wow. For those parents who had to remove their children, thank you for taking your negative vibration elsewhere. Because Roya School is by far one of the best on the island. If you look at the HSA scores posted on the DOE website, Royal scores higher than many other schools and national average. I tell parents that the size of the school is like a private school without having to pay for the tuition. They are also the recipient of a Blue Ribbon School. My son has had nothing but great experiences in this school and we have participated in many of the school events throughout the years. Re: Bullying - Royal school does a great job to ensure that the students feel safe within themselves (which prevents bullying) and among others. This is my son's last year at Royal and it will be a very sad day when he graduates. I will miss the caring and wonderful staff at Royal and I am filled with gratitude that my son is a Royal School alumni. So parents, if you want your child to be in a safe, small school setting which provides lots of attention, save your private school money for high school. Send them to Royal School with pride. Truly the home and school of our island Royalty.

Posted December 13, 2011

I also had to remove my child from this school. The staff, (not all) are rude and cruel to the kids. And the bullying at this school is swept under the rug! One day I saw some kids smoking something under the stairs across the street from the school! I dont know what to do now, because I can't afford another school!

Posted April 2, 2010

I removed my son from this school after a terrible experience in 2007. He was bullied by other students and the teachers and principal refused to stop it. The lack of concern and respect for students was alarming. Parents were made to feel irrelevant and their concerns dismissed. This was the first time in my life I felt racial discrimination against my child and our family. It was a terrible situation in which I felt powerless because the staff was not only unresponsive, they were part of the problem. But, we finally said enough and moved our child to a local charter school and were so happy we did.

Posted October 14, 2009

Royal School is an excellent elementary school. At first I was reluctant to have my children go there but as I got to know the teachers and staff, I am very happy that I did send them there. My daughter is in her last year and my son has already moved on to middle school. The teachers are very caring and work very hard with the children, keeping Hawaii standardize test scores up. The principal works very hard also, keeping everything running smoothly. If you look at the demographics of this school, they have a wide mixture of children that attend. The children all get along very well together. Overall, I am very pleased.

Posted August 19, 2008

I would never rate Royal School anything less than 5 stars!!! I can't begin to explain the dramatic change in my daughter since I changed her school!!! She is communicating so much better, she is motivated to attend school and to complete her homework, she has transformed into the beauty that she was meant to be! To the parents who gave Royal one star.... Trust me when I tell you that there are worse schools out there!!! Perhaps you need to form a better relationship with the school, so that all parties are on the same page when it comes to disipline and boundries.

Posted November 15, 2007

I was disappointed that my daughter didn't get accepted to another school on a GE, but to my surprise, she loves Royal School! She has made many gains both socially and academically. Her kindergarten teacher is very patient and communicates with my wife & I frequently. The PTA needs much more parental support.

Posted September 26, 2007

I have 5 children. My two oldest has been going to a Charter School. Unfortunately my 3rd child had to attend Royal because the Charter schoold did not have JR. K. Honestly, at first, I was disappointed because I really didn't have faith in the Public School system. But I now stand corrected. My son's teacher is just awesome. The communication is great and my son is very happy with his surroundings, his teachers, and his friends. The cirriculum he's given is efficient for his age. He just loves school. Parents and teachers need to have open communication and SUPPORT each other. That's the only way it'll work. All we need to concentrate on is to do OUR PART as a PARENT or a TEACHER. Worrying about the other person's job is not going to help. We can't avoid challenges but we can teach our children how to overcome it.

Posted June 12, 2007

I went to royal school. The teachers really cared about us and tried the best to teach us. They even helped us after school and during winter and spring break. Mrs.Shibata was an awesome principal but she left. I loved going to big island in grade 4 and camping grade 5. The only thing I did not like is parents who dont help. My mom volunteers a lot. But she said not too many parents help. I miss royal school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2006

eay you know royal yeah I use to go there and I kind of don't agree to the first 2 parents but I agree with the 1st parent I am a former student from royal and there are some bad times and good times they don't abuse the kids and give lectures yeah but not hitting they pull the kids out of the class when they misbehave or like fight with the teacher or their class mates but the schools good I learned a lot and I even learned 10th grade stuff there they teach it easier and I'm in 8th but yeah that school don't have that much volunteers that's all I got to say.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 23, 2006

I disagree with the previous 2 parents. I often visit the school 'un-announced' and have never seen a teacher hit or grab any student. As for yelling, I heard one teacher raise her voice during recess (2 boys were fighting & teasing each other). I see some teachers/staff often go out of their way to help their students. The only problem at the school is the lack of parental support: 1. I would guess less than one-fourth of parents come to the general PTA meetings. 2. Rarely, do I see other parents volunteer for field trips, fundraisers, etc.

Posted January 20, 2006

I have too agree with the other parent, I am extremely dissatisfied with this school. I also have a boy. There is a lot of yelling and screaming that should not be allowed by adults that are teaching and rearing our kids. There is lack of communication from teachers too parents. And there is problems respect by teachers towards both the kids and the parents. You earn respect by giving respect.

Posted October 20, 2005

Teachers, Staff, AND PRINCIPAL! is extremely rude and has no respect. I been having so much problems with this school its fraustrating. This is my son's first year in a public school and its not one I want him to remember. I talked to some authorities and its not much they can do, they cant change people. Royal thinks its ok to put their hands on the kids, they said its not abuse but I sure dont like the idea of my son being grabbed like that. They LOVE to yell at the kids! Especially boys. Its heartwrenching when my son tells me his days, some is good though. Authorities told me the best thing to do is teach my son to DEAL with mean people! I was told many times I cant put him in another school cause the district. I cant wait till this school year ends.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 45% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 70%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1519 Queen Emma St