PK-5 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Posted May 26, 2013
Both of my children attended Royal School. This is a small school that I didn't really know existed since it was so easy to pass by. I was reluctant to send my children there but did not apply for an GE to any other school. Both my son and daughter enjoyed it a lot. The school's ethnic mixture is well balanced and I really liked that about the school. The teachers are great and they care about their students--willing to help them when they don't understand the work. I believe the parent involvement is extremely LOW--parents if you want your child to get the most out of their education you have to get involved!

Posted September 22, 2012
II don't know why some people say that this school is bad. To be honest I was a student here for 4 years. It was great. I do see some bullying but it gets taking care of right away. And the staff member weren't that mean at all. Everything me and my friends learn in class were challenging and fun. I repeat, this school was great!!

Royal Elementary School 3

Posted September 10, 2012
I have mixed emotions about Royal school. My daughter has been at this school for three years. I think that academically they are really good. I love that they test the children's math and reading skills and place them in appropriate levels. However my daughter has also been bullied by the same child for three years. This child is the "popular" girl and singles out my daughter. This girl excludes my daughter and makes her come home crying on a regular basis. I have gone to her teachers and counselors regarding this several times. At first they put them both in counseling and it really helped however now the teachers just tell my daughter to buck up. I am disapointed that more isn't done to address this behavior in children attending Royal. There are anti bullying rules on the books they are just not being enforced in my opinion. Royal needs to address bullying and take a stronger stand against it in order to truly shine like I KNOW it can! Royal can be one of the best public schools in town if they address this. I see I am not the only parent with this issue.

Posted May 09, 2012
Wow. For those parents who had to remove their children, thank you for taking your negative vibration elsewhere. Because Roya School is by far one of the best on the island. If you look at the HSA scores posted on the DOE website, Royal scores higher than many other schools and national average. I tell parents that the size of the school is like a private school without having to pay for the tuition. They are also the recipient of a Blue Ribbon School. My son has had nothing but great experiences in this school and we have participated in many of the school events throughout the years. Re: Bullying - Royal school does a great job to ensure that the students feel safe within themselves (which prevents bullying) and among others. This is my son's last year at Royal and it will be a very sad day when he graduates. I will miss the caring and wonderful staff at Royal and I am filled with gratitude that my son is a Royal School alumni. So parents, if you want your child to be in a safe, small school setting which provides lots of attention, save your private school money for high school. Send them to Royal School with pride. Truly the home and school of our island Royalty.

Royal Elementary School 1

Posted December 13, 2011
I also had to remove my child from this school. The staff, (not all) are rude and cruel to the kids. And the bullying at this school is swept under the rug! One day I saw some kids smoking something under the stairs across the street from the school! I dont know what to do now, because I can't afford another school!

Royal Elementary School 1

Posted April 02, 2010
I removed my son from this school after a terrible experience in 2007. He was bullied by other students and the teachers and principal refused to stop it. The lack of concern and respect for students was alarming. Parents were made to feel irrelevant and their concerns dismissed. This was the first time in my life I felt racial discrimination against my child and our family. It was a terrible situation in which I felt powerless because the staff was not only unresponsive, they were part of the problem. But, we finally said enough and moved our child to a local charter school and were so happy we did.

Royal Elementary School 0

Posted October 14, 2009
Royal School is an excellent elementary school. At first I was reluctant to have my children go there but as I got to know the teachers and staff, I am very happy that I did send them there. My daughter is in her last year and my son has already moved on to middle school. The teachers are very caring and work very hard with the children, keeping Hawaii standardize test scores up. The principal works very hard also, keeping everything running smoothly. If you look at the demographics of this school, they have a wide mixture of children that attend. The children all get along very well together. Overall, I am very pleased.

Posted August 19, 2008
I would never rate Royal School anything less than 5 stars!!! I can't begin to explain the dramatic change in my daughter since I changed her school!!! She is communicating so much better, she is motivated to attend school and to complete her homework, she has transformed into the beauty that she was meant to be! To the parents who gave Royal one star.... Trust me when I tell you that there are worse schools out there!!! Perhaps you need to form a better relationship with the school, so that all parties are on the same page when it comes to disipline and boundries.

Posted November 15, 2007
I was disappointed that my daughter didn't get accepted to another school on a GE, but to my surprise, she loves Royal School! She has made many gains both socially and academically. Her kindergarten teacher is very patient and communicates with my wife & I frequently. The PTA needs much more parental support.

Posted September 26, 2007

Royal Elementary School
1519 Queen Emma St, Honolulu, HI  96813
Last modified Royal Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Royal Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top