Maemae Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted May 15, 2013

**CAVEAT - I do not have any children that go here, and I went to Maemae 40 years ago. I read all the reviews here, and it seems that the school has changed a lot in terms of philosophy and education structure. I was placed by into an independent advanced math study program by the teachers. I was also put into an independent English study program for the exact opposite reason. I think the teachers were very aggressive in having me not fall behind in certain areas, and having me excel in my best areas. Regarding fundraising, my mom was the one that used to make 300 bottles of kimchee from scratch as a fundraiser and donation on Family Night for the school. Although she worked fulltime at two jobs, my mom still did many fundraising activities for the school without complaint. I don't exactly know what the PTSA activities are like now, and if they are pushing it too much. If there is too much emphasis now on test scores and fundraising, then I can agree with some of the negative reviews. I did visit the office last year, and I felt it wasn't run as well as before. Is the curriculum is different now? Back then, pottery, art, music, dancing, geography, geology were standard.

Posted August 28, 2011

My daughter has since left Maemae and is now in her second year of middle school. She entered kindergarten at 4 since she was late born and had a hard time at the start. Through her great teachers, she caught up and is an honor roll student in middle school. She had a great experience in this school and I totally commend Maemae for prepping her to be independent thinker.

Posted March 2, 2011

I honestly LOVED this school. Though there will be bullies the academics were excellent. The teacher are VERY kind and nice. I even met my best friends in this school! I recommend highly recommend this school

Posted February 27, 2011

I don't know what school these other parents are talking about because my sons' experience at Maemae Elementary has been horrible at best. The office staff are lost, unfriendly, and unorganized, this includes the principal, counselor and admin ladys. The teaching staff are unresponsive, unorganized and uncaring. I have two children enrolled here for the 2010-2011 school year, and I am completely disappointed in both teachers (2nd grade and 5th grade). These other parents take about how much the school involves community and parents, I have yet to see any of this beside one fundriser with kaula pig and one movie night. I am seriously considering moving again to get my children out of this terrible school. I will say that their Aplus program is run by the Nuuanu YMCA and they are GREAT, organized, attentive, and responsive.

Posted April 21, 2010

The community at this school is so supportive. It was at this school that my child learned to find his inner best self. He learned to keep trying and not settle for less than his own greatness.

Posted November 10, 2009

My daughter has been in Ma'ema'e school since kindergarden and now she is in fourth grade. In those past years I thought the teachers were very helpful and so as the kids being so nice to each other.

Posted September 21, 2009

It's all about our kids and receiving the best education they can, even in such trying economic times!

Posted September 21, 2009

In a nutshell, Maemae is an excellent school because the teachers, staff, and parents generously give their time, talents, and resources to give our children the best educational experience possible! It's all about the children!

Posted September 20, 2009

It is very orgenised and clean! They also give a lot of home work.

Posted September 18, 2009

I love Maemae School because of the wonderful students and parents that helps contributes to the high test scores and successful school events. You can't find a school that exemplies excellence as Maemae School does!

Posted September 18, 2009

I am so pleased with this school, its teachers and students.' performance

Posted September 18, 2009

The students, parents, and teachers are wonderful which make us a successful school!

Posted September 16, 2009

I think it is a good school and my son received a good basic education there.

Posted July 9, 2008

My younger daughter currently attends Maemae. When I had questions about this school before she started kindergarten there, I was directed to the principal. The principal, Mrs. Blaisdell was excellent and very informative. My daughter is doing well and enjoys Maemae. Thanks to Mrs. Blaisdell and her wonderful staff.

Posted October 2, 2007

Maemae elementary school has exceeded my expectations as a parent. My son is in Kindergarten and to be honest he needs extra attention in regards to his studies. Distraction is a problem while in the classroom. His teachers have offered him extra help after school and continue to encourage him instead of reprimand him. I feel like they really truly care about his well being and that they are willing to help him succeed. There are several programs that the school does offer as far as extracurricular activities. Of course these programs have fees but they are readily available. Parent involvement seems to be a top priority here and that is probably what makes Maemae such an attractive school.

Posted September 28, 2007

As an alumni of the school I am inclined to say that this school was excellent, when I went there. Maemae used to focus on the students and we used to have lots of creative fun. I am disappointed as my fourth grader is frustrated by many concepts that are not often retained because the teachers go so fast. I often feel sorry for the teachers because they have so little time with the amount they need to teach. The teachers there are great and are doing the best they can. The administration however frets if you want your child tested or want your child evaluated for a learning disability. I am sorry that I didn't hold my child back in Kindergarten. Now that she is in fourth grade, she is constantly struggling. Too much parent involvement expected especially at PTSA and too many fundraising. Need more extracurricular activities.

Posted September 8, 2007

My child attended this school several years ago when she was in kindergarten and I absolutely loved the school unfortunately we have since moved to the mainland and although she goes to a good school its just not as great. I liked Mrs. Minami, I thought she really made us feel welcomed at the school and she also made it a point to remember my child's name which is impressive at such a large school. The curriculum may seem intense for some but I thought that my child's teacher Tsutsumi(now retired)made learning fun. I was impressed at how much she learned in one year. She was so advanced once she started her new school. I think yes, there is a lot of work and volunteering required but as parents it is our job to help our children succeed and yes we all have 'real' jobs and other children too.

Posted April 11, 2006

Our family feels very fortunate to have our child at Maemae Elementary School. We have an open line of communication with our child's teacher - positive and negative feedback. Mrs. Nakamura makes school and learning fun for her students. Maemae has constant announcements coming home to keep us informed, as well, as opporturtinity for learning seminars, involvement opportunities in the community and school events. Maemae Elem. is a great school because, of it's strong parent involvement.

Posted April 13, 2005

I used to go to this school many years ago and was excited to have my children attend. The test scores are consistenly higher than some of the other schools,however since my child has gone to school, she is consistently bombarded by 'keeping the standard' and am disappointed at how the teachers have teach their subjects in a given amount of time. This doesn't allow some of the children time to digest and process the information. Some of the students are frustrated at the concepts that they have to learn and thus makes learning a 'bore'. It is no longer fun for her and am considering removing her and placing in her in an environment that allows her to succeed and enjoy learning. I still agree that Maemae is a good school but I think it's been hiding behind 'status' too much. Way too much homework for the working parent.

Posted April 7, 2005

I was told a lot of good things about this school but I have been very disapointed with the new principal and her tactics. The PTSA has a little click that does not openly welcome new people or ideas. And the constant fundraising is very frustrating. The teachers have been known to make students feel bad for their family not participating in fundraising events. I feel the PTSA and the school has forgotten the most important thing that attracted families to this school in the past. . . the 'students' and the open communication with parents, and the feeling that each student special and should not be judged on how much their family contributes (in $$$$) but by their individual qualities as a person.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 57% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

319 Wyllie St