Bad
Good

This school needs an overhaul. The current admin thinks they know whats going on in the school but they dont. Teachers are not required to document any occurences. A child can be bullied for years and the staff doesnt know or proof. The curtent counselor isnt really a counselor. He is clueless. Office staff is rude so i assume they are rude to the kids. No documentarion goes into individual childs folder in the office. Parents be warned. If you want to sue the school, now is a good time. Admin cant defend themselves.

**CAVEAT - I do not have any children that go here, and I went to Maemae 40 years ago. I read all the reviews here, and it seems that the school has changed a lot in terms of philosophy and education structure. I was placed by into an independent advanced math study program by the teachers. I was also put into an independent English study program for the exact opposite reason. I think the teachers were very aggressive in having me not fall behind in certain areas, and having me excel in my best areas. Regarding fundraising, my mom was the one that used to make 300 bottles of kimchee from scratch as a fundraiser and donation on Family Night for the school. Although she worked fulltime at two jobs, my mom still did many fundraising activities for the school without complaint. I don't exactly know what the PTSA activities are like now, and if they are pushing it too much. If there is too much emphasis now on test scores and fundraising, then I can agree with some of the negative reviews. I did visit the office last year, and I felt it wasn't run as well as before. Is the curriculum is different now? Back then, pottery, art, music, dancing, geography, geology were standard.

Good school. Happy with teaching staff, safety, cleanliness. If you are in the district, you have lucked out not having to pay tuition for a school with such quality teachers.

My daughter has since left Maemae and is now in her second year of middle school. She entered kindergarten at 4 since she was late born and had a hard time at the start. Through her great teachers, she caught up and is an honor roll student in middle school. She had a great experience in this school and I totally commend Maemae for prepping her to be independent thinker.

I honestly LOVED this school. Though there will be bullies the academics were excellent. The teacher are VERY kind and nice. I even met my best friends in this school! I recommend highly recommend this school

I don't know what school these other parents are talking about because my sons' experience at Maemae Elementary has been horrible at best. The office staff are lost, unfriendly, and unorganized, this includes the principal, counselor and admin ladys. The teaching staff are unresponsive, unorganized and uncaring. I have two children enrolled here for the 2010-2011 school year, and I am completely disappointed in both teachers (2nd grade and 5th grade). These other parents take about how much the school involves community and parents, I have yet to see any of this beside one fundriser with kaula pig and one movie night. I am seriously considering moving again to get my children out of this terrible school. I will say that their Aplus program is run by the Nuuanu YMCA and they are GREAT, organized, attentive, and responsive.

The community at this school is so supportive. It was at this school that my child learned to find his inner best self. He learned to keep trying and not settle for less than his own greatness.

My daughter has been in Ma'ema'e school since kindergarden and now she is in fourth grade. In those past years I thought the teachers were very helpful and so as the kids being so nice to each other.

It's all about our kids and receiving the best education they can, even in such trying economic times!

In a nutshell, Maemae is an excellent school because the teachers, staff, and parents generously give their time, talents, and resources to give our children the best educational experience possible! It's all about the children!

Last modified Maemae Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.