Bad
Good

Posted June 08, 2016
Our experience has been positive from day one. The teachers are caring, dedicated, and committed to our children's needs. The principal has an open door policy, is proactive, and has a vision to move the school forward. Change isn't easy, but he's trying to do some innovative things at the school. We chose to move into this school's boundaries based on a few friends who had/have their children attend this school. We're so glad we made this choice!

Koko Head Elementary School 1

Posted September 19, 2012
Leadership is lacking at this school. It makes me sad that I've overheard administrative staff talking and gossiping about its special education team. I understand if this is admins second year, but it would be helpful for parents to be better prepared, better informed, and if the staff and parents were given some compassion. Meetings are rushed. Questions unanswered. Gossiping leadership? My sons education is at stake here while school continues to point fingers at one another, no responsibility is taken and kids are an afterthought. It's very sad. On a positive note, there is an excellent special ed preschool teacher and she is warm, inviting, answers my questions. I feel like we are partners. I also got a lot of support from the occupational therapist and the person who was doing an iq test. Very helpful. :) If it wasn't for the teacher, I would have zero faith in this school.

Koko Head Elementary School 2

Posted January 27, 2011
I'm not happy with this school! My daughter is very social, loving, and bright. The school does not allow the kids to play on the playground due the equipment being unsafe...so the children only have a grass area to play in. Also, my child has been bullied and harassed. I have made formal complaints and they continue to turn the other way. In addition another parent witnessed a sped teacher being verbally abusive to a children with disabilities. She reported it and the sped teacher still works there. They dont care!!

Koko Head Elementary School 3

Posted March 29, 2008
Rating is based on opinions regarding quality of educational curriculum, administration, quality and professionalism of teachers, social culture, and facilities. Our children have had 1 excellent , 2 average, and 1 below average teacher (disorganized, puts children down). There are limitations w/the State's mandated curriculum. Similar learning environment that we had in public elementary school as children in the 70s. There is one teacher whose reputation is so poor that when parents approach that grade level is it common that they leave the school, or request another teacher, or supplement at home. The administration is one of the better respected and in our experience they are responsive and compassionate. PTO lacks based on exclusionary vibe. Missed opportunities for bringing school families closer. Many wonderful families that we discovered through community activities (not school). Nice arts program/music. Facilities are clean and adequate (builidings recently painted). Overall good rating but room for improvement.

Posted August 13, 2005
This school seems to be overlooked and underrated in every category. Teachers are excellent, our Principal emphasizes unity, harmony, Ohana(family). Very clean grounds and the lunches are delicious. Parents are always invited to participate and get involve. May Day is Lei Day in Hawai'i and the students perform songs and dance of our culture-Beautiful!

Posted January 13, 2005
All the 4th grade students learn to play ukulele. Keiki Carnival in March is just for fun, not fund raising. Foods are prepared at school.

Koko Head Elementary School
189 Lunalilo Home Rd, Honolulu, HI  96825
Last modified Koko Head Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.