PK-5 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Our daughter loves this school and absolutely adores her teacher. My husband and I are pleased with our child's teacher, she is very caring, fair, and has high expectations. The school does a good job at including parents to make us feel part of the community. We enjoyed the family bingo night in the first quarter and the family movie night in the second. This is a good school headed in the right direction.

Our family moved to Hawaii from Massachusetts a few years ago and we were initially concerned with the reputation of Hawaii public schools. However, in preparing for our move to Honolulu, one of our friends suggested Koko Head School. We scheduled a tour and was impressed that the principal of the school is the one who gives the tours. At the other four schools that we requested a tour at, we were given a tour an office type of staff member and one of the schools didn't even return our calls (not going to mention that school's name). The principal's on the young side, but is passionate about and knows his students. We decided to move to Koko Head's Portlock area and enrolled our 2 children at this school. Our children are in their third year here. We were impressed by our child's Gr. K , 1 and Gr. 3 & 4 teachers. Caring and dedicated, you can feel that the teachers truly love their students and not just working for a paycheck. At the end of the year we're going to transition back east and will miss being part of this family (in Hawaii they call family ohana).

Our experience has been positive from day one. The teachers are caring, dedicated, and committed to our children's needs. The principal has an open door policy, is proactive, and has a vision to move the school forward. Change isn't easy, but he's trying to do some innovative things at the school. We chose to move into this school's boundaries based on a few friends who had/have their children attend this school. We're so glad we made this choice!

Leadership is lacking at this school. It makes me sad that I've overheard administrative staff talking and gossiping about its special education team. I understand if this is admins second year, but it would be helpful for parents to be better prepared, better informed, and if the staff and parents were given some compassion. Meetings are rushed. Questions unanswered. Gossiping leadership? My sons education is at stake here while school continues to point fingers at one another, no responsibility is taken and kids are an afterthought. It's very sad. On a positive note, there is an excellent special ed preschool teacher and she is warm, inviting, answers my questions. I feel like we are partners. I also got a lot of support from the occupational therapist and the person who was doing an iq test. Very helpful. :) If it wasn't for the teacher, I would have zero faith in this school.

I'm not happy with this school! My daughter is very social, loving, and bright. The school does not allow the kids to play on the playground due the equipment being unsafe...so the children only have a grass area to play in. Also, my child has been bullied and harassed. I have made formal complaints and they continue to turn the other way. In addition another parent witnessed a sped teacher being verbally abusive to a children with disabilities. She reported it and the sped teacher still works there. They dont care!!

Rating is based on opinions regarding quality of educational curriculum, administration, quality and professionalism of teachers, social culture, and facilities. Our children have had 1 excellent , 2 average, and 1 below average teacher (disorganized, puts children down). There are limitations w/the State's mandated curriculum. Similar learning environment that we had in public elementary school as children in the 70s. There is one teacher whose reputation is so poor that when parents approach that grade level is it common that they leave the school, or request another teacher, or supplement at home. The administration is one of the better respected and in our experience they are responsive and compassionate. PTO lacks based on exclusionary vibe. Missed opportunities for bringing school families closer. Many wonderful families that we discovered through community activities (not school). Nice arts program/music. Facilities are clean and adequate (builidings recently painted). Overall good rating but room for improvement.

Last modified Koko Head Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.