Ala Wai Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 474 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 6, 2013

my daughter went there on her fifth year. and then my son just last year attended kindergarten there. both my children had a blast there. my son especially. he enjoyed everyday day that he went to school. and his teacher did an outstanding job. we moved last summer. the school his attending right now is mesmerized at how much he knows. he received a N.Gresham blue ribbon reward last fall for his outstanding effort. thanks to ala wai school for setting that foundation.

Posted August 11, 2010

My son went to this school last school year 2009-2010. He was in kindergarten, his teacher was extraordinary, she always went above and beyond with my son. I always saw the principal around asking for feedback and making sure everyone was on the same page. I love this school; my son had a beautiful experience. We left Honolulu because we are a military family and we truly miss this school.

Posted April 17, 2010

Our experience with Ala Wai Elementary has been nothing but positive. My oldest son has attended for 2 yrs now (K and 1st). His first grade teacher, Mrs. Sato, has gone out of her way to keep him engaged and challenged in class. This school really cares about it's students, academically and emotionally. Even with 'furlough Fridays' and budget cuts they continue to give it everything they have. The Principal, Mrs. Unni and Vice Principal Mrs, Mendonca are very active at the school, and highly visible and approchable. (I've even seen them directing traffic to keep our keiki safe). Mr. Yim, the lower grades Counselor, is always keeping an eye out for new ways to help the kids. Mr. Toby and Miss Ruthie from the PSAP program are dedicated to the children in their care. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 24, 2009

Ala Wai School is awesome. The teachers and staff are very caring about the individual child. My child is fortunate to be in this school. I don't know the Principal personally but she must be quite a wonderful woman; Counselor Mr. Makaimoku is priceless.

Posted January 23, 2009

This school has the best teachers and principal and the school counselor is so positive in his dealings with the young students. Claudia England

Posted April 23, 2008

My son is in their Preschool. The teachers and aides are so good with the kids and I feel the communication lines between the teachers and parents is excellent.

Posted February 23, 2008

My daughter is in Kindergarten and I am very impressed with the way the teachers have been teaching. My daughter comes home everyday with something new. This is way different than when I was in School. Ms Unni and the Vice principal are always around to help the students and also attend alot of the parent functions or school activities. Today for example, there was a fun fair and I saw both principals there. This is an awsome school

Posted February 12, 2008

My child attended the Ala Wai from 1st to 5th grade and A+ for all 5 years and graduated. The teachers were wonderful, staff was helpful, classmates were great, and the fellow parents were friendly too! Ms. Unni is a hands-on principal, always there for the children and takes charge of everything! A wonderful person. No wonder Ala Wai Elementary was 1 of the 3 schools to be nominated for the NCLB's Blue Ribbon School Program! I am proud to say that my child graduated from Ala Wai Elementary School!

Posted September 26, 2007

My son is in K and is enjoying school and A+ at Ala Wai - so much so that he cries when I pick him up early! It is too early into the school year to yet determine anything on a learning level, so we are just happy that he is happy. Our only concern is the size of his class (25) and hope this is not the same in the higher grades. Aloha, Michele Pokung, parent

Posted December 20, 2006

First of all, my English is limited. However I'd like to talk about Ala Wai Elementary School. I have 2children, boy and girl who are from Japan. My children go at Ala wai Elementary School. They are 2 grade and 4 grade. They are so lucky why class teachers are wonderful and great teacher ever. I look back on this year I really appreciate school teachers who are class teachers, councelor teacher, and ELL teachter. My daughter came to Hawaii 3month ago. Class teacher who is so wonderful and helpful for her. My daughter enjoy going to school so far. Coucelor teachter help to go to school my daughter who was stuggled when she came here first time. My son's class teacher is a great teacher who is a kind and wonderful. I am thankful and greatful this year. I really appreciate them who are Mrs. Yamazaki, Mrs.Kwee, Mr.Yim and Mrs. Kobayashi. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Posted February 27, 2006

My daughter is in the 1st grade at Ala Wai Elementary. She loves to go to school every day and enjoys learning. Her teachers are friendly, conscientious, and wonderful educators. When my daughter started Kindergarten last year, I reviewed and visited the five public schools near our home and work. We chose Ala Wai Elementary because of their caring staff, high standards, and school vision. The Principal, Ms. Unni, can be found on the school grounds everyday interacting with the children and providing guidance. Our family believes that the care and attention provided to each student is just as important as the curriculum taught each day. We firmly believe in Ala Wai Elementary and make every effort to support this school by helping with the PTSA, fund-raisers, and chaperoning fieldtrips. Ala Wai's Vision for our Children: Believe, Achieve, Succeed. Dream Big and Make It Happen! Wonderful concepts for children of all ages to learn.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2011-2012 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2012.

95 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

95 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian 46% 35%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 60%N/A47%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

503 Kamoku St