PK-5 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 27, 2015
I can only make this rating based on my evaluation of the teacher with whom I worked (a second grade teacher). I met many nice individuals on this campus. Unfortunately, this teacher was not one of them.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
Real respect for others by children can only be gained through modeling desired actions and integrity on the part of the teacher, not through fear. Unfortunately, in the classroom where I worked, the teacher used yelling and intimidation to control student behavior and to achieve the illusion of "respect" from them. Students were not respected in this classroom, therefore they did not actually learn respect. What they learned was obedience in the face of authority in order to avoid punishment. This does not contribute to a foundation for a healthy society and democracy.

Posted March 12, 2015
I went to this school as a child, and even from then I was always encouraged to push myself beyond the classroom, the importance of finding out more about my favorite lessons, and how to use the Internet and libraries during a time when not every student could have a computer in their home. The influence my teachers had on me really helped me throughout the later years of my secondary schooling, and today I'm attending college working to get a degree in psychology. I highly recommend this school to every child

Posted May 06, 2013
my daughter went there on her fifth year. and then my son just last year attended kindergarten there. both my children had a blast there. my son especially. he enjoyed everyday day that he went to school. and his teacher did an outstanding job. we moved last summer. the school his attending right now is mesmerized at how much he knows. he received a N.Gresham blue ribbon reward last fall for his outstanding effort. thanks to ala wai school for setting that foundation.

Ala Wai Elementary School 4

Posted August 11, 2010
My son went to this school last school year 2009-2010. He was in kindergarten, his teacher was extraordinary, she always went above and beyond with my son. I always saw the principal around asking for feedback and making sure everyone was on the same page. I love this school; my son had a beautiful experience. We left Honolulu because we are a military family and we truly miss this school.

Posted April 17, 2010
Our experience with Ala Wai Elementary has been nothing but positive. My oldest son has attended for 2 yrs now (K and 1st). His first grade teacher, Mrs. Sato, has gone out of her way to keep him engaged and challenged in class. This school really cares about it's students, academically and emotionally. Even with 'furlough Fridays' and budget cuts they continue to give it everything they have. The Principal, Mrs. Unni and Vice Principal Mrs, Mendonca are very active at the school, and highly visible and approchable. (I've even seen them directing traffic to keep our keiki safe). Mr. Yim, the lower grades Counselor, is always keeping an eye out for new ways to help the kids. Mr. Toby and Miss Ruthie from the PSAP program are dedicated to the children in their care. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 24, 2009
Ala Wai School is awesome. The teachers and staff are very caring about the individual child. My child is fortunate to be in this school. I don't know the Principal personally but she must be quite a wonderful woman; Counselor Mr. Makaimoku is priceless.

Posted January 23, 2009
This school has the best teachers and principal and the school counselor is so positive in his dealings with the young students. Claudia England

Posted April 23, 2008
My son is in their Preschool. The teachers and aides are so good with the kids and I feel the communication lines between the teachers and parents is excellent.

Posted February 23, 2008
My daughter is in Kindergarten and I am very impressed with the way the teachers have been teaching. My daughter comes home everyday with something new. This is way different than when I was in School. Ms Unni and the Vice principal are always around to help the students and also attend alot of the parent functions or school activities. Today for example, there was a fun fair and I saw both principals there. This is an awsome school

503 Kamoku St, Honolulu, HI  96826
Last modified Ala Wai Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ala Wai Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top