No rating

Sacred Hearts Academy

Private | PK-12

Student diversity

Living in Honolulu

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $681,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Sweep tile

Posted August 5, 2013

SHA is a great school. The teachers are kind to each other and to their students, hence they teach students to be kind to each other. Elementary level education seems to be better than public school Ed: resources, before/ after school help, adv. technology use, smaller class size, aides in the class, parent help welcomed, excellent comm. between parent and teacher, homework, and friendships. I am glad there is a school like SHA for my 10 y.o.: it is teaching and supporting our beliefs towards academics, appreciation and responsibility.

Posted July 22, 2013

I think that Sacred Hearts is a wonderful school to go to, especially when the teachers are so nice and helpful. The teachers are always there by your side. Even though there's a few students that are slightly mean, its still a great school to go to. i recommend this school for your daughter.

Posted March 4, 2013

my kids went here.... this school seems to favor certain students - like alum's kids or whoever close to the school/teachers. the kids can sense that. lots of gift giving going on, too. if the teachrs treat everyone equally, it would become a better school.

Posted June 8, 2012

The new elementary art teacher did a wonderful job this year. On a visit to the school before their year ended I saw a number of creative pieces of art which impressed me. I am used to seeing art in elementary schools be "cookie cutter." I saw art where students expressed their individuality and creativity.

Posted February 17, 2012

as an alumna and a parent of an alumna of SHA, I would recommend SHA to parents who want their daughters to obtain an excellent education. Its been at least a decade since I visited the school, but I recently toured SHA with my daughter & granddaughter and was very happy to see how the school has evolved. My daughter excelled in her college classes due to her SHA education. She was an honors student her first two years of college. I see comments about a lot of homework, but lets face it you get out of it what you put into it. Should your daughter spend ALL weekend on homework? I mean that's 48 hours plus if you count Friday evening. But seriously, I can't see how she would even spend 16 hours on homework on a given weekend. I find that hard to believe that there is that much homework. Perhaps there is more to it - is she using her time well or does she need some help because she is struggling? I would find out why she is spending so much time on homework and how much time should be spent on homework. The ratio I was given for college level is 3 hours of homework for every 1 hour of class. My granddaughter will probably attend SHA in the fall she loved it.

Posted November 30, 2011

SHA has definitely brought my daughter out from her shell, but in a good way. She is more confident and has built her self-esteem to where she comfortable in participating in class. She has learned time management as she is involved with sports and clubs. The teachers are very concerned about the girls growing into young, respectable, and favorable adults.

Posted May 12, 2011

My daughter has been attending Sacred Hearts Academy for 7 years now. She is currently a Junior. I highly recommend this school not only for their academics but also for their performing arts. Yes at times there is an extreme amount of homework/projects due, but this is where time management comes in. This is a preview of what colleges expect from a student. Compared to what other private high schools are charging for tuition on Oahu, we feel that SHA has afforded an outstanding education and opportunities for our daughter.

Posted October 11, 2010

While this school has great teachers and makes a point of emphasizing math and science for girls, it has the reputation of assigning massive amounts of homework in the upper grades. This year, an 8th grader spends all weekend on homework. There is little time for family life or extracurricular activities.

Posted October 9, 2010

It has help prepare my ward for her future aspirations and has challenged some of her perceptions about the world in which we live.

Posted April 26, 2010

SHA provides the opportunity for mental, spiritual, and educational growth.

Posted April 19, 2010

I graduated from Sacred Hearts and I feel so grateful for having done so. Yes there can be mean girls but no more than what I experienced in public school in Hawaii. In response to the review about mass, I am not sure what the problem is. Yes the high schoolers get to sit in the bleachers while the jr. high and lower school sit on the floor but thats how it is at every assembly. Also the high school kids that are giving communion are a part of the LIFE team which is basically student ministries. Also they have been confirmed which makes them eligible to give out the Eucharist. Honestly I feel like the education I got at SHA helped me so much and next year I am graduating college and starting medical school. So yes I recommend Sacred Hearts and would send my own daughters there.

Posted April 15, 2010

I used to go to Sacred Hearts Academy and I have been attending since I was in 6th grade. While Sacred Hearts has good academics, sports, and extra curriculars. Sending your daughter there could be damaging to her mental health. Girls there are very cliche, and if a student is different they will be ostracized. Send your daughter here if you want to, but she will have to deal with bullying and drama.

Posted August 25, 2009

My daughter has attended Sacred Hearts Academy for 5 years now. She had made real friends here. I saw drastic change in her personality; she used to be cold and kept to herself. Now she is rarely ever unhappy and seems to always be smiling or laughing. The school is quite organized; they send newsletters and e-mails to both the parents and students to keep them updated. My daughter always says the teachers are funny. The new Perfomance Arts building has a very good learning environment for those who take music and art. I love volunteering to be a chaperone because my daughter's classmates are very polite and well-mannered. The teachers & high school assistants are very helpful and good role-models. My daughter learned compassion and sympathy for others. She shoots for top grades and tries her best. Sacred Hearts is definately a very good school for young ladies.

Posted August 6, 2009

Many people complain of teasing and i've lived with it for more than a decade and SHA, along with my previous school has taught the same: tell an adult and if the problem continues and it turns to harassment, get the police involved. I can say every school has this problem but with just my few weeks at SHA I haven't had any issues, I mean, there are mean girls but I try to associate myself with a good group of friends that have my back, and I have theirs. Academically, I say this school is great. In my freshmen year i've managed to get english and world history honors but it wasn't the same for math. I suffered during the first few weeks of summer school but my math teacher, when brought to the attention I needed help, was there for me. I recommend this school.

Posted May 25, 2009

My daughter has been at SHA since Kindergarten (she's now in fifth grade). She has a medical condition which causes some physical differences and from day one the school and other students have been so supportive and wonderful. SHA promotes the girls' self esteem and encourages them to be their best! SHA subscribes to EDLINE and I find this to be extremely helpful with communication and organization. When reading some of the negative comments, I wonder if these families have not had the opportunity to be more involved and proactive with any situations arising. The teachers are always available for our concerns and reply to emails so quickly which makes our day to day lives so much easier! Unfortunately we are moving due to work but I believe SHA has taught my daughter the foundation she needs to succeed in anything she does in life. Thank you SHA!

Posted May 20, 2009

My daughter went to Sacred Hearts for a year and was not happy there. The teachers and administration have obvious favorites, and the school rewards students for no reason. There is a serious lack of parent-teacher communication and schoolwide events are disorganized. I have encountered most of the girls my daughter goes to school with by chaperoning a school field trip. There are certain girls being ostracized and it seemed like the teachers were looking the other way. This is definitely not a healthy environment for any parent to send their daughter.

Posted April 1, 2009

First of all, I want to say that my daughter just loves this school! That is the most important thing to me and my husband, because as long as she loves it there, she will continue to love to learn, which is exactly what she is doing everyday while attending Senior Kindergarten! I have probably had more experiences with the school as a parent than most of the other parents because I volunteer there every chance I get, help my daughter's teacher in all areas, hang out with other parents, spend time with my daughter and her friends on field trips, organize classroom parties,etc....so I know first hand how things are going at SHA as a first time parent, and they are going great! My daughter who is already an exceptional student, which is clearly noted on her report card and PT conferences, is exceling even more than we could hope!

Posted March 19, 2009

I have two daughters attending SHA. They LOVE IT! They are in lower classes and the teachers seem to be very organized and on top of everything. I get notes & emails to stay current on what is going on. My kids learn so much and are very interested in learning. I hope to send them both there next year if finances permit.

Posted March 18, 2009

Overall sacred hearts is an 'ok' school. She really misses her previous school. The teachers could make learning more fun. I don't think I will be sending my daughter there next year though (she is in high school).

Posted March 16, 2009

It saddens me to read some of the negative reviews of SHA. Not that I am challenging these children and parents experience but I am sorry that they have not seen the school I have seen. My daughter is in high school and is a rather quiet girl. The school has been an exceptional environment for her to excel both socially and academically. She is very happy at the school. We are a blended religion family so the Christian outlook was important and the more open Catholic stance is positive. The teachers have been inspirational women for my daughter. I must admit not every teacher has demonstrated a high level, organized classroom but the majority have offered her a challenging well-rounded education.

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious