No rating

St Andrews Priory School

Private | K-12

Living in Honolulu

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $486,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,370.

Posted April 11, 2010

There is no way to express how wonderful this school is and how much personal attention they give to each student. From the administration on down this school makes each student achieves their potential. And they graduate students that get into the finest universities such as Vassar, UCLA, etc. If you want your daughter to get a first rate college prep education St. Andrew's Priory is the place for her.

Posted March 28, 2010

My daughter moved to the Priory two years ago and loves it. She wakes up begging to go early. She has had good teachers, has made great friends, and is thriving by any measure. The school is small. She has friends in many grades. The upper school girls are like big sisters. The afterschool drama program is great. The school director is relatively new but seems to have embraced the school's traditions while still making some changes. The school is fairly strict, but in a good way. We're paying a fair amount for tuition and expect it to be academically challenging, and it is. But my daughter likes the work and enjoys the projects. (If we wanted little challenge, we could get that in the public school where they no longer have class on most Fridays.) We are very pleased with the Priory.

Posted March 21, 2010

I am very disappointed in the state of this school. I really wanted to love it, because it was a great school 20 - 30 years ago. There are some great teachers who work hard, care for the students, and have passion. However, there are just as many, or more, poor teachers & administrators who are more interested in rules, control, and stomping on the students' individuality. The problems stem from the administrative staff who do not welcome parent input. Any 'criticism' is not taken as an opportunity for examination and improvement, but rather as an outrage. Teachers can't speak up either. The current administration has a self-righteous attitude and no awareness as to why families leave. Even if told, they would deny it and not believe it.

Posted February 17, 2010

I can't understand a parent who complains because the private school they send their child to has an excellent academic program. St. Andrew's offers an excellent education with graduates going on to become lawyers, doctors, legislators, etc. My daughters get a wonderful education. If you don't want your daughter to do homework then send her to a non-college prep school. St. Andrew's offers a terrific environment in which to have your daughter grow and and reach her full potential.

Posted February 14, 2010

My daughter is always stressed out and weekends are more like stay home school days. She is in high school and it seems that when I try to talk to the teachers they make not effort in change, but only use words to please me. But, my daughter stays their was no change in the amount of homework they got after I talked to her teacher. Therefore it seems that it is either the teachers way of the highway. Also, once you really step into your daughter's shoes then you actually see how much they learn but how little of it their remember or understand. Also, the administration is very corrupt in a sense they say that they want parents to speak their minds, but once you do they just defend to why they are correct. It seems that they pretend to really listen just because the enrollment is down.

Posted January 13, 2010

I am the parent of a third grader. Our daughter has attended the Priory since K. The school has enjoyed a great reputation in academics. While they do emphasize math and other sciences, language arts are not the school's forte. As parents we have concluded that there are things more important than 'Priory Academics.' 1. A child's self-esteem (not a priority at the Priory, as pushing and moving ahead in seems to be more important. 2. Children are presumed 'guilty before innocent. Reading the reviews on this website, I see not much has changed. 2. Parent involvement is spoken to, but really not welcomed, even if that means constructive criticism. 3. Spring break, Xmas break, summer break? No chance. That is the time for science projects, book reports, etc. 4. Daily homework and studying for tests on weekends has been the worst for the entire family. We are looking for another school.

Posted June 13, 2009

Kulia i ka nu'u! The people behind the scenes at The Priory have nurtured my daughter both spiritually and academically. She has excelled tremendously in her personal achievement. And let's face it, all-girls education is better for girls. Look at today's leaders who went to The all-girls schools...Mother Theresa, Hillary Clinton, and locally, Colleen Hanabusa. Looking forward to many more happy years with this school.

Posted May 20, 2009

This school is definitely the best all-girl school in Hawaii. The school's curriculum is set in a way that ensures that its students will be prepared for the arduous life of a college student. The teachers are also easily accessible and encourage the students to stay true to their beliefs and dreams. Definitely the best! :)

Posted May 4, 2009

The best school ever!!! teachers encourage stdents to be themselves...everyone there is funny, goofy, and fun...its less distracting without boys
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 27, 2009

I agree with the 4/2/08 parent posting. Because of the teachers in this school, my daughter has done very well her first 2 years there. I was very happy with her progress--until now. The prior administration was wonderful and I got the feeling that the counselor/faculty really cared. I cannot say much about the current administration. It seems like we have a new principal or social worker every year. The current faculty do have a 'guilty until proven innocent' approach and I don't have the confidence that they are working in my daughter's best interest. The school really needs to find people to permanently fill positions and they should have a dean for each class so that the girls have someone that can follow them as they progress through school.

Posted April 11, 2009

I am surprised to see several poor ratings on this page. I have had my daughter in the school for 11 years and have been very happy with the education she had received. The teachers show concern and enthusiasm. Of course each school may have a weak teacher or two but that is the parent's job to express their concern to the administration. I have found them friendly and approachable.

Posted April 2, 2009

I am a recently retired school administrator who is currently doing some long-term substitute teaching at the Priory. St. Andrew's Priory School really impresses me with its professional approach, caring faculty and staff, friendly and supportive atmosphere, and a curriculum which is comprehensive and progressive. The school administration is right on top of potential problems. They are proactive, rather than reactive. The students have been most cooperative with me, even though I came to them in mid-term (usually a difficult experience). After nearly 50 years in education as a teacher, coach, advisor, and administrator, I know an excellent school when I see one, and St. Andrew's Priory is such a school. By the way, I intend to re-retire at the end of the term so I have no personal gain by writing a positive evaluation.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 30, 2009

Quality of school is down. My daughter has only had 2 really good elementary teachers there, although she has attended the school since kindergarten. New principal and new teachers hired to various grade levels are extremely weak. Communication between parents and principal exists but principal ends up backing weak teachers. There is no excuse for this type of quality of teachers to exist in any school, private or public. If you don't mind paying $13000 for only art, music, p.e, christian studies, drama, then this school is fine. Other than that, go to another school.

Posted January 24, 2009

The school does not encourage much parent involvement, I'm not happy with this and so are other parents. Communication is better now due to the new school's website, but still needs improvement. Communication between teachers and parents needs major improvement. I and other parents don't agree with the loads of homework given during school breaks (christmas, spring and even summer). What's a break from school if you have to do homework while you and your family takes a vacation somewhere. We had to take my daughter's books and laptop so she can do her homework while we took a trip! I don't understand why all that was necessary. The school needs to understand the definition of the word 'Break' in Christmas Break, Spring Break and Summer Break.

Posted November 3, 2008

After reading some of the earlier negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive about sending our daughter here. Our daughter started kindergarten this year and absolutely loves it, as do we. Curriculum is very diverse, definitely things that would not be taught in a public school at this early age. Low student teacher ratio and small classes has brought our daughter out of her shell and instilled more self confidence. Faculty and other parents have been very friendly and her teacher is always available for any needed help or concerns we have. Lots of opportunities for parents to be involved such as field trips, class parties, PTF, monthly lunch with your daughter, etc. The downside is that parking is very hard to come by except various metered stalls around town. Also, the lunch is not very good.

Posted September 11, 2008

The Priory is, overall, a pretty good school. The teachers usually try to be available for extra help if you need it. In fact, most teachers tell you in the beginning of the year, 'Please come in and see me if you want extra help.' Since the student-to-teacher ratio is relatively low, students get more individual attention from the teacher and participation is strongly encouraged. At the Priory, it is not hard to find a place where you fit in. At the Priory, most people do not judge you or stereotype you before they meet you. The friends that you make at the Priory are friends whose friendships you want to keep for the rest of your life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 18, 2008

the administrative has fallen apart these last few years. they haven taught my daughter how to write but they would tell her just to write but not how to write. they dont offer as many things as other school like sports teams. They dont have many facilities. the teachers arent as strong as they use to be.

Posted May 28, 2008

This was the first year our daughter attended Saint Andrews Priory. It was a bit of an adjustment coming from pre-school, but the teacher and school staff where very friendly and supportive through the transition process. The school s academics are top notch. My daughter is currently thriving in the school s environment. Her knowledge, skills, and work habits have are increase beyond our expectations. The only negative is the lack of parking on campus.

Posted May 13, 2008

This school is great if you enjoy helping your kid with homework for 3 hours a night. The teachers say that each student is expected to study 10 minutes for every grade. For example, 1st grade - 10 minutes per night, 2nd grade - 20 minutes per night and so on an so forth. However, this is not the case. I often feel my daughter isn't learning as much as she could in class and I spend more time than I honestly want explaining her homework to her. It seems to me that if you are paying over $15,000.00 a year (not including summer school) you should be able to depend on the school to teach your child 100% of the curriculum. I work full time and have other kids and can't possibly keep up this 2-3 hour a night marathon.

Posted April 2, 2008

The administration s been falling apart for the last several years, starting with many long time faculty and administrators leaving en masse. The highest administration positions (Head of School, Principal, Dean of Students) have all had recent changeovers. With the administration problems came bandaid substitutions, like the counselor acting as interim principal, religion teacher acting as interim counselor, tech dept. person teaching foreign language. Most of the teachers are ok, but some are questionable, such as the teacher who shows the Nicolas Cage movie National Treasure instead of actually teaching American History. There is no 'partnership' between school administration and parents. Requests to discuss issues are ignored, parental involvement is discouraged. The new administration has a heavy handed rule and does operate under a 'guilty until proven innocent' mindset. I know of students that have left due to issues with the administration. My daughter also will be starting elsewhere next year.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 31% 34%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
  • NAEYC
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

224 Queen Emma Square