No rating

Navy Hale Keiki School

Private | PK-3 | 206 students

NHKS serves students in a patriotic, value-oriented, and creative environment.

Living in Honolulu

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $325,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,180.

Posted May 19, 2014

Navy Hale Keiki has been an excellent choice of a school for our child this year. Being that the school services mostly military families, we have felt our child is in an environment that it perfect for her. She is surrounded by children who face the same issues and dedicated teachers who understand the needs of the population. We are excited for her to continue at NHKS for years to come. We also would like to say that the office staff is supportive and helpful with all of our questions this year. Mahalo!

Posted November 24, 2013

To the 17 Jun post: Before you single out a (gasp) negative comment about this school and seek to spin the truth, perhaps it's worth others considering NHKS to know the facts. It's a good school with lots to offer but the administration and Board of Governors pushed through additional costs without properly publicizing this, however small they may have been, and admitted this (I have it in writing). If the school needed to gain efficiencies and wholly benefitted from them, it should have borne the cost. This post is not "ridiculous", unless ridiculous = truth, of course. I'll never be appreciative of paying more for something I don't want and wasn't told about ahead of time in some official format. Folks ought to know this so they can make informed decisions or in case it happens again.

Posted November 1, 2013

I cant say enough good things about this school. The staff and teachers truly understand the challenges faced by military students and actively seek to engage them in overcoming said challenges. The academics are spot on. Our child was not reading when we started NKHS in kindergarten and is now reading on a 3rd grade level. Our family electively chose to extend orders in Hawaii so our children can attend NHKS longer. If there was anything I could say negatively, it would be that we often feel nickled and dimed. That being said, we understand that this comes with almost any private school. We love NHKS!

Posted August 10, 2013

I really enjoyed this school for pre-k. It developed a patriotic pride in the children, wonderful teachers and families. Drop-offs and pick-ups were a bit stressful due to the lack of space & parking. But they made every effort to make it smooth as possible. And I do feel that the academics could have been stronger given the teacher/child ratio was good (10 to 1). Reading and basic math skills could have been touched upon in pre-k and it was just basic phonics and number writing. We enrolled in Kumon for additional work so along with home study, our child did well.

Posted June 17, 2013

Navy Hale Keiki is a fantastic school for young children and parents alike, and we are so privileged to have found such a gem on this island. The teachers truly care about their students, and actively engage the parents daily with kind words. They are smart, professional, and skilled at educating youth. The Director has been a wonderful part of the school for many years. In response to the ridiculous comment by a parent in the April 6, 2013 review: She was complaining about a $46 charge that helps the school avoid wasting time processing what amounts to over 3000 checks annually. That charge represents less than 1% of tuition; so please ignore that parents unfortunate complaint. The school is wonderful and everyone (else) whose child attends it is so very lucky and appreciative!

Posted March 1, 2013

My child has attended NHKS since 2010. He will be entering 3rd grade in the coming school year and his sister is enrolled for pre-k. The teachers and administrative staff are friendly, helpful, and caring when it comes to the needs of the students and their families. They understand the special circumstances that military families experience and encourage skills that the students need in order to be resilient in the face of these changes. Academically I couldn't ask for more. The students learn at a pace which challenges them without being overwhelming. The class sizes are small and each classroom has a teacher's assistant which means more individualized attention for all students in the class. Many of the activities the students are involved with teach them about having a role in the community outside of school. From Operation Candy Drop for the troops after Halloween to collecting goods for the local Fisher House, they learn that they can make a difference in the lives of others. Some parents may complain about tuition costs and nitpick about other issues, however, the quality of education and close-knit community are well worth the price.

Posted March 1, 2013

With experience with other private schools on the island, Navy Hale Keiki is by far a bargain for the creative, individual attention provided to each child. Average testing scores are significantly above grade level. I am proud to be part of this school and the dedicated service provided each day to the children and families enrolled.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 20, 2013

I am very sad to see what this school has become. It was once out of this world. As of late, test scores have dropped below that of some of the better public schools, communication has taken a beating and with the new business administrator, the nickel and diming has become overwhelming. For the upcoming school year, families will be charged a fee for paying their tuition, despite the money the school will be saving by having payments processed this way. The straw has broken the camel's back. We will not be returning. I'm all for using this school as a pre-school, but would definitely recomment researching other schools for a tuition free alternative to other grades. This school is no longer worth the money it costs to attend.

Posted September 16, 2012

We LOVED NHKS! If we could have taken the school with us when we moved, we would have. Our daughter thrived there and was loved, cared-for and taught as an individual. We also loved NHKS for how well it focused on character as well as academics. They are in the business of producing healthy, patriotic, critical thinking little citizens of our great nation. Recommend!!! If we end up back in HI, this is where our kids will go to school! Please pray that they expand past 4th grade!

Posted April 6, 2011

My kids went to NHKS for two years each. Pre -K and K, and 1st and 2nd grade. I was so discouraged with the quality of education my oldest was getting in the public school, that I sent both to NHKS the second year we were in Hawaii. I can't tell you how happy I was from day one. Both years my kids thrived. You can't ask for better teachers who love each student for who they are and find what motivates them as individuals. I thought I loved the school while we were there, but now that I have PCS'd and we are in a top notch school district outside of Boston...I am amazed at how wonderful the school really is. Both of my kids have been repeating the same curriculum that they had last year at NHKS in the previous grade! The thing I love the most, is that at NHKS, when my kids finished a project, the teachers would say great job, now lets see if you can do this. Here at the 10 out of 10 school...the teachers say, great job, you are all done! Thank you NHKS.

Posted January 6, 2011

my daughter has attended NHKS for pre-k and now kindergarten. The school has been the most redeeming thing about being stationed here in Hawaii. It was hard to find a private school that was not slanted toward religion. Instead the school focuses on teaching core values of respect, honesty and being an all round good patriotic citizen. The education has been top notch. My daughter is already reading at a 1st grade level and it isn't even halfway through the kindergarten year. Mrs kamoda is an excellent pre-k teacher and Mrs. Smith equally as great kindergarten teacher. The only and I mean ONLY issue I have with this school is the parking. There is only 5 places in front. I like to walk my daughter into class and it has been a bit of a challenge. They do have a very good system of droping off and picking up the children, however if you want to do that yourself you need to be prepared to walk a bit.

Posted July 12, 2009

I agree with one of the other raters. I could not say enough good things about NHKS! My daughter will be starting her third year at NHKS in August. The staff and administration are top notch. They all treat the kids with love, caring and kindness. The admin and staff have created a real family atmosphere on campus. The curriculum is comparable to any of the more well-known private schools while the tuition at NHKS is nearly half of what those other schools charge. One, thing I must address is the negative comment of a previous rater regarding the current Director. Mrs. Gulledge is very easy to speak with encourages parents to come to her at anytime. I get the feeling that the kids come first with her and knowing that makes me at ease when I leave my daughter at school. I couldn't be happier with NHKS and highly recommend

Posted July 11, 2009

I was so happy to get an opening here for my daughter last year after wondering where we would place her once arriving in Hawaii. As a military family there is so much to figure out when moving, and I wanted our home location to be a top priority; I figured if it came to it, I would homeschool. How nice that I didn't have to do that after all since we lived close enough to NHKS. Compared to other private schools on the island, it is reasonably priced. Most of the families here are at least nominally involved in school activities. The teachers and staff really care about the kids and my daughter has learned a lot while having a great time in the process. My only regret is that it only currently goes up to 3rd grade.

Posted July 10, 2009

I am very surprised to see these last comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, here is mine. My children all went through NHKS these last few years with the last one finishing this coming year and I could not be a happier Mom! In talking to the teachers my children have and had the staff seem to feel this is the best admin they have ever had, though two were new so they were comparing with admins of other schools not older ones here. I am so excited to be at this school and love the direction it is on now. I have found the school as a whole, teachers and admin, to be responsive to suggestions of PTO, but also very focused on doing what is right for each child and in that way I have gotten more than my tuition dollar's worth!

Posted July 4, 2009

Some of the school administration are great, but that is overshadowed by the attitudes and actions of those in charge. Perhaps, fresh leadership at the school would change alot of the old perceptions.

Posted July 4, 2009

School Administration do not readily accept suggestions or changes to concerns addressed by parents. Great parental involvement is usually shared by a few parents (the same ones that attend each function).

Posted May 1, 2009

It was better with the previous director. The current one seems more interested in the business of the school than the kids welfare and education. Parent involvement is great though.

Posted July 19, 2008

Both of my children attend Navy Hale Keiki School. It is such a wonderful place for the children to start their education roots. Navy Hale Keiki School is such a treasure!

Posted December 9, 2006

I have had three children at Hale Keiki over the past five years. It is a wonderful place for a child to begin their education. I have recently become a staff member and have been pleased to see that the benefits they provide staff are also very good (not typical at many private schools). It is a safe, nurturing, friendly environment. My only wish is that my daughter could have continued past second grade.

Posted December 8, 2006

My child has been attending kindergarten at this school for 4 months now, and I can't say enough good things about it! The teachers are very talented and professional, and they really teach to the individual needs of each child. We receive plenty of communication from the staff and there is a real sense of community among the students, parents, and teachers. Parents are very involved in all aspects of the school, which is refreshing. The new library is up and running strong, and the kids get to check out books once a week. They also have music, art, and gym classes, which have been cut from many public schools. Plus there are top notch enrichment programs to try after school, such as American Sign Language, science labs, and karate. The field trips are really great and tie into the curriculum well. The principal is wonderful, and the tuition low.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 34%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Shari Gulledge
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Visit our website!
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (808) 423-1778

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Fleet Logistics Center

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government
  • Young Patriot's Club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis