PK-3|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The school will work with all children and parents involved to find a positive solution, with attempts to make each child feel good. In other words...even the child who has acted inappropriately is treated with kindness and respect. They do not want to crush ANY child's spirit, and chooses to redirect and rehabilitate poor choices, as opposed to labeling a kid "bully' or 'bad.'

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The school director is quite impressive. She has a strong vision for the school, thoughtfully designs school programs and has a solid presence around campus.

Develops character: Strongly agree

YES - these themes are regularly and blatantly discussed and promoted.

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel there is an appropriate amount of homework given at each grade level. Most of the teachers seem to use homework to reinforce class lessons and evaluate student comprehension. "Grades" are not stressed, therefore students do not feel inadequate if they get some things wrong. The teachers strive to keep learning a positive experience.

Navy Hale Keiki School is more than just a school…it’s a family. My son is in his 4th year attending NHKS and my daughter is in her third. In fact, my daughter is in the very class that a previous commenter was displeased with. Unlike her opinion of the class and the school, I absolutely ADORE the teachers in that class. My son had such a wonderful experience in her class, and I specifically begged to have my daughter in the same class 3 years later. We have loved every single teacher at the school, and found them to be very loving and sweetly affectionate with the children. They truly care for each and every child, and from what I have seen, they would never accept discrimination or bullying in any form. The administration would work proactively to peacefully mitigate any conflicts. The staff, and parents alike, strive to create a community of caring children…caring for one another, caring for our family, caring for our community. You won’t find a school with more parent involvement, happier kids, or better staff. In our time at NHKS, we have seen our children excel in the well-balanced curriculum, which includes music, art, computers and physical education. In my son’s 3rd grade music class, he is learning to play the ukulele! In afterschool programs, my children have participated in dance and hula classes, robotics and Lego building clubs, and swim classes. They take wonderful field trips several times a year…to museums, plays, farms, historic sites, zoo and aquatic parks. There are overnight camps, trips and parties. In short, NHKS offers opportunities to experience a wide range of educational, cultural and leisure activities. I cannot rave about this school enough. My children have LOVED Navy Hale Keiki!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The school promotes a culture of tolerance and respect for others. Teachers effectively supervise children and promote problem solving.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My daughter's teacher provides homework to be completed throughout the week. We really like this approach, as it teaches my daughter to prioritize her homework. It also makes it much more manageable for a parent!

We’ve been at Navy Hale Keiki School for a little under 2 years and could not be more satisfied! Prior to our experience at NHKS, we had our girls at a Christian school; although the education was good, we felt a lack of communication from the school with events and requirements always popping up at the last minute. As a dual military family, with high optempo jobs and a frequent travel, early and often communication makes our life much easier. At NHKS we always feel well informed. The teachers communicate often with parents and identify early potential issues. The office staff responds quickly to requests and seems to know every child at the school. Teachers work with students to expand on their strengths and build up any weak areas. For example, my daughter’s teacher identified, prior to the first trimester ending that my daughter was reading just below grade level. The teacher sent a note home for us on daughter’s status, along with some tips for at-home learning. The teacher increased 1 on 1 time with the TA during the school day. Within 3 months, my daughter caught up and is now working slightly above grade level. Most importantly, my daughter continues to love reading. Our girls have had some bumps on the playground; school always sends home an injury slip or gives me a call. One night my daughter told me a boy kicked her on the playground. It didn’t seem too serious, but we contacted the teacher. Both her teacher and the other K teacher took the report very seriously and had an answer for me by the next day. One of the boys was taking his Jedi training a little too seriously and my daughter ran into him. It was early in the school year, so the teachers reinforced the playground rules. While talking to a co-worker whose son was at the school, he relayed a story about his son. It turns out his son was the Jedi in training and he confirmed the school took the incident seriously. NHKS conducts a daily flag ceremony and emphasis service through the year. In Dec NHKS hosted Pearl Harbor Survivors & WWII vets for lunch, classroom visits and performances by the keiki. It was a top notch day and so humbling to see our kids and amazing veterans bonding across the generations. I can’t say enough good things about NHKS. Yes, it’s pricey, but everything is in Hawaii. You can tell each teacher cares about the kids and puts 100% effort into them.

Navy Hale Keiki School (NHKS) was our first choice to send our child too. We are a military family (both parents) and it seemed like the right choice at that time because we thought that our child would be supported by other children with similar shared deployed parent stories. Prior to our child attending kindergarten at NHKS, she had spent two years at a Christian Preschool prior to attending Kindergarten. I think it's important to add that while there, she was described by her teachers and school director as a very compassionate, sensitive, fun loving, and happy little girl. After a couple months at NHKS, our child's behavior changed dramatically. It was for the worst. We talked about her day, everyday, after-school and sometimes it was good and then, other times not. She mentioned that she didn't like school. She even drew a picture and wrote out that she didn't like school. Which was later removed from her binder by someone. We thought it was just part of growing up as a new kindergarten student. The change of behavior continued, then, little stories started to follow when we questioned her days spent at school. To move this story along --- I went on a business trip for a month, so, my better half took on the responsibility to care for our daughter while out. I spoke to my family everyday and one day our daughter told me her nose was bleeding. She was kicked in the nose by a fellow student. No call or report was given to notify us. Our daughter told us that a teacher saw this, yet failed to report it. The way this school handled it was UNSAT. They continue to stand their ground to say that "no one saw this incident" and no further action or correction known to us was taken. Lastly, our daughter was taught by another student about the color of skin and not in the context of curiosity. This made me very upset! I am a local female born and raised in Hawaii and never separate races. What we just experienced was unbelievable! Nuts! For the curious minds, our daughter is Hapa --- brown & white. When I returned from my trip, I removed our daughter from this school. It's been roughly over a month at her new private school and happy to report that we have our happy daughter back. She loves school again and even wrote it in her new journal with hearts. Beware. Appearances are often deceiving.

Navy Hale Keiki has been an excellent choice of a school for our child this year. Being that the school services mostly military families, we have felt our child is in an environment that it perfect for her. She is surrounded by children who face the same issues and dedicated teachers who understand the needs of the population. We are excited for her to continue at NHKS for years to come. We also would like to say that the office staff is supportive and helpful with all of our questions this year. Mahalo!

Last modified Navy Hale Keiki School is a Private school that serves grades PK-3