Posted May 19, 2014
Navy Hale Keiki has been an excellent choice of a school for our child this year. Being that the school services mostly military families, we have felt our child is in an environment that it perfect for her. She is surrounded by children who face the same issues and dedicated teachers who understand the needs of the population. We are excited for her to continue at NHKS for years to come. We also would like to say that the office staff is supportive and helpful with all of our questions this year. Mahalo!

Navy Hale Keiki School 4

Posted November 24, 2013
To the 17 Jun post: Before you single out a (gasp) negative comment about this school and seek to spin the truth, perhaps it's worth others considering NHKS to know the facts. It's a good school with lots to offer but the administration and Board of Governors pushed through additional costs without properly publicizing this, however small they may have been, and admitted this (I have it in writing). If the school needed to gain efficiencies and wholly benefitted from them, it should have borne the cost. This post is not "ridiculous", unless ridiculous = truth, of course. I'll never be appreciative of paying more for something I don't want and wasn't told about ahead of time in some official format. Folks ought to know this so they can make informed decisions or in case it happens again.

Posted November 01, 2013
I cant say enough good things about this school. The staff and teachers truly understand the challenges faced by military students and actively seek to engage them in overcoming said challenges. The academics are spot on. Our child was not reading when we started NKHS in kindergarten and is now reading on a 3rd grade level. Our family electively chose to extend orders in Hawaii so our children can attend NHKS longer. If there was anything I could say negatively, it would be that we often feel nickled and dimed. That being said, we understand that this comes with almost any private school. We love NHKS!

Navy Hale Keiki School 4

Posted August 10, 2013
I really enjoyed this school for pre-k. It developed a patriotic pride in the children, wonderful teachers and families. Drop-offs and pick-ups were a bit stressful due to the lack of space & parking. But they made every effort to make it smooth as possible. And I do feel that the academics could have been stronger given the teacher/child ratio was good (10 to 1). Reading and basic math skills could have been touched upon in pre-k and it was just basic phonics and number writing. We enrolled in Kumon for additional work so along with home study, our child did well.

Posted June 17, 2013
Navy Hale Keiki is a fantastic school for young children and parents alike, and we are so privileged to have found such a gem on this island. The teachers truly care about their students, and actively engage the parents daily with kind words. They are smart, professional, and skilled at educating youth. The Director has been a wonderful part of the school for many years. In response to the ridiculous comment by a parent in the April 6, 2013 review: She was complaining about a $46 charge that helps the school avoid wasting time processing what amounts to over 3000 checks annually. That charge represents less than 1% of tuition; so please ignore that parents unfortunate complaint. The school is wonderful and everyone (else) whose child attends it is so very lucky and appreciative!

Posted March 01, 2013
My child has attended NHKS since 2010. He will be entering 3rd grade in the coming school year and his sister is enrolled for pre-k. The teachers and administrative staff are friendly, helpful, and caring when it comes to the needs of the students and their families. They understand the special circumstances that military families experience and encourage skills that the students need in order to be resilient in the face of these changes. Academically I couldn't ask for more. The students learn at a pace which challenges them without being overwhelming. The class sizes are small and each classroom has a teacher's assistant which means more individualized attention for all students in the class. Many of the activities the students are involved with teach them about having a role in the community outside of school. From Operation Candy Drop for the troops after Halloween to collecting goods for the local Fisher House, they learn that they can make a difference in the lives of others. Some parents may complain about tuition costs and nitpick about other issues, however, the quality of education and close-knit community are well worth the price.

Posted March 01, 2013
With experience with other private schools on the island, Navy Hale Keiki is by far a bargain for the creative, individual attention provided to each child. Average testing scores are significantly above grade level. I am proud to be part of this school and the dedicated service provided each day to the children and families enrolled.

Navy Hale Keiki School 3

Posted February 20, 2013
I am very sad to see what this school has become. It was once out of this world. As of late, test scores have dropped below that of some of the better public schools, communication has taken a beating and with the new business administrator, the nickel and diming has become overwhelming. For the upcoming school year, families will be charged a fee for paying their tuition, despite the money the school will be saving by having payments processed this way. The straw has broken the camel's back. We will not be returning. I'm all for using this school as a pre-school, but would definitely recomment researching other schools for a tuition free alternative to other grades. This school is no longer worth the money it costs to attend.

Posted September 16, 2012
We LOVED NHKS! If we could have taken the school with us when we moved, we would have. Our daughter thrived there and was loved, cared-for and taught as an individual. We also loved NHKS for how well it focused on character as well as academics. They are in the business of producing healthy, patriotic, critical thinking little citizens of our great nation. Recommend!!! If we end up back in HI, this is where our kids will go to school! Please pray that they expand past 4th grade!

Posted April 06, 2011
My kids went to NHKS for two years each. Pre -K and K, and 1st and 2nd grade. I was so discouraged with the quality of education my oldest was getting in the public school, that I sent both to NHKS the second year we were in Hawaii. I can't tell you how happy I was from day one. Both years my kids thrived. You can't ask for better teachers who love each student for who they are and find what motivates them as individuals. I thought I loved the school while we were there, but now that I have PCS'd and we are in a top notch school district outside of Boston...I am amazed at how wonderful the school really is. Both of my kids have been repeating the same curriculum that they had last year at NHKS in the previous grade! The thing I love the most, is that at NHKS, when my kids finished a project, the teachers would say great job, now lets see if you can do this. Here at the 10 out of 10 school...the teachers say, great job, you are all done! Thank you NHKS.

Navy Hale Keiki School
153 Bougainville Drive, Honolulu, HI  96818
Last modified Navy Hale Keiki School is a Private school that serves grades PK-3
Navy Hale Keiki School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top