No rating

Punahou School

Private | K-12

Living in Honolulu

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $382,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted April 10, 2009

While I agree Punahou has outstanding teachers, curriculum and facilities, it saddens me that there is too much emphasis and competition between students on materialistic & socio-economic status. You are all there for a common cause - to get a good education. Don't flaunt your money or wealth - it's not polite and shows how shallow you are. Have some compassion as your fellow student may not be as fortunate.

Posted March 25, 2009

Great school. Very big & huge offering for gifted & talented scholars & athletes. Great arts program tool

Posted March 13, 2009

You better have money to attend this school, otherwise you won't fit in. Parents focus on money and kids often group according to economic background.

Posted March 6, 2009

I am single parent, working hard and making a lot of sacrifices, to allow my son to study at Punahou School. They have a solid history of producing and nurturing their students to be involved, well-rounded, active and contributing leaders in their global community. The culture is one of a big family, where attention is paid to the children's physical health, social well being, as well as intellectual development. My son and I are so happy to be a part of the Punahou School family.

Posted February 26, 2009

While I agree that Punahou is a greatg school, I believe that it has been highly overrated lately with the current president-elect Obama, having went graduated from that school. I would also agree that Iolani and Kamehameha exceed Punahou as far as academics, sports, speech and debate, and their college prepatory program.

Posted February 15, 2009

Although Punahou has alot of the latest spotlighht with President Obama & Michele Wie, I personally feel that 2 other schools in Hawaii out rank Punahou, Iolani High School & Kamehameha Schools, in many categories. But I still would agree that Punahou is definetly a place you would want to send your child, if you can afford it.

Posted January 19, 2009

Although I attend another school I have to say that Punahou is a great school. It has an excellent student body and has a multitude of extracurricular activities to help the students mature. And the school also gets the students ready for life out of school.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am a Punahou student- I absolutely love Punahou. There are so many wonderful opportunities available that are not found anywhere else on the island. We have a superb athletic program which was ranked number one in the nation by Sports Illustrated, a huge art department which ranges from life drawing to glass blowing, a fabulous theatre department, music program, and dance school, as well as very nicely kept facilities and fun programs for all students. Academically, Punahou is challenging and engaging, and I have learned so much from all my teachers. Though a large school, I still receive the one-on-one attention from each teacher that I would probably get from a smaller school. Also, while expensive, Punahou offers lots of financial aid, and I can honestly say that most kids do not care how much money you have.

Posted December 12, 2008

This is one of the best schools in the country. Did you know that our president elect Barack Obama graduated in the class of 1979? I am currently a student here,and I don't look forward to the weekend! This school is so great, I can't believe it's school! The students are very respectful and sweet, and when I came as a new student, they all made me feel very welcome, and my homesickness for my old school vanished. I encourage everyone to submit an application to Punahou.!

Posted November 6, 2008

Great environment, teachers, and everything you could dream of.

Posted October 24, 2008

This school is excellent, and is one of the best in the nation. Teachers are very kind and undestanding, and when I came as a new student, everyone made me feel very welcome, especially the students. There are so many opportunities at Punahou. It's true that the tuition is expensive, but it's worth every penny. The education is college level and every student recives a laptop. I am proud to be a graduate of Punahou School

Posted October 5, 2008

Undisputedly the best education in the state of Hawaii. (I am a current senior student)

Posted July 5, 2008

As a former student, I am exceptionally proud and blessed to have had the opportunity to attend Punahou. My teachers were insightful, thoughtful, knowledgeable, and inspirational. There were so many outstanding teachers that is is difficult to single one person out as having had special influence. The impact Punahou has had on my life is immeasurable. Even though it has been years since I graduated, I look forward to the class reunions and marvel at the continued cohesiveness of the members of our class...our Punahou ohana (family)! Three generations of my family have graduated from Punahou, a tradition I hope will continue. Anyone wanting a challenging academic environment and a desire to achieve will thrive at Punahou. The long list of notable and/ or celebrity Punahou alumni is itself a testimony for realized dreams and achievement.

Posted June 10, 2008

I am one of six children and we all attended/graduated from Punahou. From the perspective of someone with lots of money, this school offers many opportunities for self motivated individuals but tends to focus too much on money. Students who don't have money are made to feel inadequate. After High School graduation students are more concerned about attending Punahou than where they went to college.

Posted May 11, 2008

Price to quality very questionable.

Posted April 20, 2008

I enjoyed the school and I was proud to tell people that I was a Punahou student. I have to agree with the statement that there are some snobby parents and students. You had to wear the top designer wear or you were treated poorly. Lots of talk about clothing, cars, homes, money and materialism. I was ashamed of my house and my parents. I regret that kind of thinking but it was such a strong influence from the students and to some degree from the school.

Posted April 15, 2008

It was a good school but I think it is over rated. Very expensive and very materialistic. My family was comfortable middle class but we were always made to feel very inadequate. Other classmates with wealthy parents would not associate with middle class families. The parents were the the instigators. It was kind of a sad environment to have to grow up in. Teachers and head master condoned that type of behavior. There was never any teaching to the contrary.

Posted July 13, 2007

Punahou is a great school. There are many opportunities both physically and mentally and I would advise any parent to send their child. Great teachers and facilities. Programs such as glassblowing and photography stand out as something unique and different when compared to other local schools. I graduated 4 years ago.

Posted May 16, 2007

I am part of the 13 year club, meaning, I attended Punahou from K to 12th grade. I have very fond and vivid memories dating back to my first day in kindergarten. This school is excellent in its academics and extra-curricular activities. I feel so blessed to have attended Punahou and have been given the opportunities to experience all that I did. Like many others mentioned this school is not for everyone and is very challenging, but very rewarding. I hope one day my son will be able to attend Punahou and can have the same education and experience.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 5, 2006

This school isnt good. Horrible teachers but nice campus needs more activities. I guess being bullied is ok here. They give you useless homework
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 45% 34%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab