No rating

Punahou School

Private | K-12

Living in Honolulu

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $382,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted October 3, 2006

Perhaps the simpliest way to describe Punahou would be look up the definition for 'Excellent'. As a former student who has taught and coached all over the Pacific Northwest, I can confidently say Punahou stands head and shoulders above. Some schools may be comparable athletically, academically, or even in terms of faciilities. However, there is no one school in Hawaii, nor in the nation which can compare to the Punahou experience. I was challenged mentally and physically at Punahou. Medocrity is definitely not rewarded. In most schools it's uncool to learn, but not at Punahou. It's cool to be the 3 Sport Athlete, but also be taking AP classes. I'm thankful and proud for the opportunity to have gone to such a excellent school. Punahou gave the tools to succeed in college, must most importantly life.

Posted June 11, 2006

I'm going to agree that Punahou is an excellent school. As someone mentioned before, it is not a school for everyone. It takes a certain person to thrive in the environment Punahou has created. Students are expected to excel and participate in a number of different activities all at once. Having only been there one year, and graduating next year I'm sorry that I didn't get more time to involve myself in everything that school has to offer, but I would recommend it to students who really want to dig into their education.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 20, 2006

Our children attened Puanhou School for 13 years each (K-12) and we have always felt that 13 years is not enough time for these students to take advantage of everything Puanhou has to offer. Students are encouraged to question the world around them, critically think, challenge themselves, be confident to speak up, have confidence in themselves, be true to their values, and to be caring members in the world in which they live. To graduate and be contributing members to society.

Posted March 22, 2006

While attending Punahou from grades 10-12, I found the academics and teachers excellent. Opportunities to partcipate in extra-curricular clubs are many. Since most reviews here are glowing, I want to emphasize that Punahou is not for everyone. Having attended excellent public schools prior to moving to Hawaii, I did not find the level of teaching significantly better. Socially, I found it an unusual environment. While I had many interesting, positive friends in several interest groups, students were generally aloof. While difficult to quantify, there seemed to be a higher than normal amount of substance abuse, eating disorders, and stress related maladies. Punahou tends to be a school that supports 'specialists,' students who excel in one or two areas rather than the well-rounded student.

Posted March 14, 2006

As I turn the corner and drive up Piper's Pali every school morning, I say a prayer of thanks to God that my son has the opportunity to attend such a phenomenal school. He is recieving the best education there is to offer in this state!

Posted March 1, 2006

Excellent school with first rate education. This school is expensive and difficult to get in to but worth every penny.

Posted January 18, 2006

This is a phenomenal school!

Posted November 15, 2004

Punahou has done so much to shape me as a person and a man. I owe so much to that school and only hope I can send my children there one day. I went to Punahou from grades 9 through 12 and it truly was the best time of my life. I have lived a quite a few countries and in that time been to 11 different schools. All of which pride themselves on being the top schools in their area. None of them, however, come close to what Punahou has to offer in every facet of life.

Posted August 13, 2004

I went to Punahou from 9th to 12th grade. It was an excellent experience for me and made a huge impact on my future. It was academically challenging and offered many extracurricular activities that allowed me to really learn more about my interests and strengths. Of the various schools I have gone to I consider my time at Punahou a changing point in my life.

Posted June 3, 2004

I went to Punahou from 6th grade through 12th. It was challenging that's for sure, but it was also wonderful. It gave me a great base for College and the future in general. I was involved in extracurricular events, as were the majority of my friends. It truly prepared me for life. I would encourage parents with driven children to take advantage of this opportunity. When I have children if I were to be living in Hawaii at the time, I would totally send my children to Punahou. I am a proud alumni.

Posted April 5, 2004

Punahou School is the finest college prepatory school I have encountered. The sutdents' motviation is very high and the teachers are superb. All of them have many years of study in their target subject. The students challenge themselves and take advantage of their school's multi-million dollar facilities. Punahou not only has outstanding academia, but also excellent sports. They still hold the curent record for state championships in the nation and largest number of student clubs. Punahou also shows its rich appreciation for the Hawaiian culture through the curriculum and the Academy's (high school) Holoku pageant. Many famous people have graduated from Punahou in the past years, such as Steve Case. Punahou continues to challenge their students' minds as they prepare them for the future. Advanced technology is used for instructional purposes at all geade levels.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 9, 2003

Academically, Punahou stands out among the finest in the nation. Their civic-minded programs are equalled only by the social calendar and superior sports regimen. The entire staff is totally dedicated to the highest levels of education.

Posted September 9, 2003

Punahou School provided a great education.The teaching staff were remarkable in their efforts. They were all so encouraging and supportive. A wonderful environment where the parents and students volunteered their time freely to enhance their school.

Posted August 26, 2003

Speaking as a former student, my years at Punahou formed the foundation of a future of realized opportunities and dreams fulfilled. Punahou is in a standing all its own among K-12 learning institutions. Melding the newest modes of pedagogy with the best existential traditions, with passionate teachers that inspire its learning communities of youth with active and pure theory, and excelling in the rounded social and physical development of its students via sports and extra-curricular activities, Punahou is the best K-12 in North America in my opinion.

Posted August 24, 2003

This school has been a fantastic influence on our children. Not only were their respective transitions to college easy but the school equipped them with all the necessary study skills to excell in their undergrad and post graduate studies.

Posted August 22, 2003

this school is the cream of the crop. for overall education it is as good as any of the top schools in the nation. the facilities are kept in great shape and maintained constantly. there are buildings on campus that are well over 100 years old. this school was founded in 1841 and has been the premiere learning center in hawaii ever since. to send your child to this school would be one the best things you could do for him or her. I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend this truly fine school. I give thanks to my parents for the sacrifices they made so that I had the chance to attend punahou.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 45% 34%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab