6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Really amazing school! My daughter started there this year for 8th Grade and loves her teachers, classmates, administration and all the opportunities the school offers her. Her teachers make learning enjoyable and she is thriving in the small school environment. She has participated in after school sports, the school play, and is one of the class of 2020 officers. Based on her experience she has recruited her sister and 3 friends to join her next year. In addition the campus is pretty amazing place; its beautiful, safe and pretty inspiring place to learn!

My daughter has always been a strong student athlete. Her grades have always been stellar even when playing 2-3 sports. La Pietra has challenged her but helped her open her mind. She always understands the course content after each class. I attribute this to the small student to teacher ratio (6-1 is not uncommon). She walks out of difficult classes having the benefit of being able to ask questions and get answers and even more important , she can ask questions on opinion and not just rigid content. The teachers have better report with the kids than any school I've seen before. The excellent teaching and coaching has opened up my daughter to achieve her full potential. We have never doubted our choice and think La Pietra is best school for OUR daughter.

If I could describe this school in one word, it would be scam. Let's figure this out; this school has 192 students paying a tuition of $18,900, meaning that the school receives at LEAST $3,628,800 annually. If that isn't enough, the school uses the sob story to coax parents into "donating" even MORE money. Ok seriously, where does this money go? Does it actually go to as promised, or is the principal using it to renovate her own house? My daughter was not in ANY way challenged academically by this school, and the clubs the school offered only met once a month for twenty minutes. The sports are ok, it's too bad the jumping platforms for the swimming pool are placed on the wrong side, an architectural error that's NEVER been fixed. While an all-girls school with only 192 students may APPEAR to be drama-free, this school is anything but. This school is lacking in a counselor, so nothing is ever done about the drama. The bullying is the absolute worst here, so think twice before sending your daughter here.

My daughter continues to attend La Pietra and is now in 9th grade. From all she tells me and that I can see, she absolutely adores going to school here and has rich friendships with many of her classmates. I have watched her social skills blossom and expect that she is making friends she will keep for life. There are so many things I like about La Pietra. The low student/teacher ratio is amazingly powerful. Each teacher I speak with knows my daughter well. They can speak with me not only about her academic standing but how she gets along in class and what they like about her as an individual..not just as a student. You know you're in a good school when you ask "Who's your favorite Teacher this year and why?" and are still talking about it an hour later! La Pietra offers a rich variety of courses and is so prepared to encourage students to excel rather than to fall into the "one size fits all" mold that I have experienced in public schools. AP courses allow the students to rise to their individual level of excellence. One of my favorite aspects of la Pietra is the way they run courses thru the year. Instead of the same 7 or 8 40-minute classes a day for the year, La Pietra splits their coursework into quarters. In each quarter my daughter concentrates on 4 classes in a day and is in those classes for an extended period of time. In my opinion, this allows the teacher to build a learning environment that is much more effective. I have watched my daughter blossom into a young woman in her time at La Pietra. I have no doubt that she would be much different if she were at any other school. Highly recommended!

I don't usually write on these sites but I felt that I really wanted to take a moment to share our family's perspective. La PIetra has been a welcoming and supportive environment socially and academically for my middle school age daughter. She is learning to try new things (going out for a team sport for the first time), making many new friends (just went on the overnight middle school camp at Camp Mokuleia where she became friends with girls not only in middle school but also some peer leaders in high school), building academic confidence in a challenging college preparatory curriculum (she loves her English, science, and music classes), and taking on new leadership roles (she helped to launch a new club this year with other students and had to get up in front of the entire school to promote the club to encourage others to sign up). We feel very lucky to have discovered this beautiful all-girls school that is helping students to build confidence and blossom. All this on a breathtakingly beautiful campus next to Diamond Head looking out at scenic views of Waikiki. While not every school is the perfect fit for every student, La Pietra is a wonderful fit for our family and daughter. Go take a tour and check it out for yourself! We think you will like it as much as we do.

I am a former La Pietra student, and I am very ashamed of it. I switched schools after one year, because I hated it so much. At first it seemed like a picture-perfect school, and my mom was willing to sacrifice whatever it took because she was convinced it would work out for me. Shortly into the school year, the few friends I had made had given me the cold shoulder after being manipulated by several girls who hated me. As a result, my confidence was lowered significantly, I became very depressed, and my grades dropped. I tried talking to the dean about my bullying problem, but little was done, and there was literally nothing I could do to stop it and I had considered suicide. The staff didn't listen to any of my or my mother's concerns, and they became angry with us at the beginning of the year when they found out we desperately needed financial aid. I felt ostracized by the staff and the rest of the girls, because of my low family income and my dad's reliance on welfare. Girls can be so cruel, especially when no boys are present.

We have been impressed with what La Pietra has to offer girls in their middle school program. Even before enrolling, prospective students have the opportunity to visit for a half-day, school-in-session visit. This gives students a chance to experience a typical day at La Pietra, make some new friends, visit a variety of classes, and meet some teachers and administrators. Because La Pietra's student to teacher ratio is so low (10:1), girls new to middle school do not "fall through the cracks" academically or socially. They are supported by a loving and caring group of teachers who are truly committed to all-girls education and helping each student find their voice and provide them with the tools to success. The school is located on an extremely beautiful campus near Diamond Head and it is a great place for young women to learn and grow during this important time in their development. La Pietra offers financial aid to families which makes it more accessible than some schools due to the tuition expense. We highly recommend La Pietra for families looking for a great middle or high school for their daughters.

Honestly, sending my daughter here was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made in my life. She was severely bullied, and the dean didn't seem the least bit concerned, nor did she do anything to stop the bullying. It turns out that the dean doesn't have any experience in counseling, she was originally an art teacher and somehow moved her way up to being a dean. The tuition of this school is extremely expensive, and needless to say I've been much more impressed with the academics of a public school. I really don't understand why the tuition is so much, nor do I know what I am actually paying for. Please, save your money and don't make the same mistake I did.

My daughter has attended La Pietra for grades 8-12. It has been an excellent experience for all of us. She has a wonderful sense of who she is and excellent self esteem. Thus academics are outstanding and she has made many close friendships. I highly recommend La Pietra.

After looking at, and being accepted to multiple schools, our daughter and ourselves (parents) all agreed that La Pietra was the fit for her. We as parents were not really interested in an "all girls" education because of the experiences we had with our older daughter's experiences at another school. But after visiting La Pietra's open houses multiple times, we all agreed to apply. This choice has brought us only great results. Upon entering the 6th grade, our daughter miraculously had no problems with doing her homework assignments and loved to be in school. Ever since starting La Pietra, we as parents have only needed to show her support for her efforts, but never having to prod and push her to complete her responsibilities as a student, nor perform to her best ability. It has, and still is a great ride for her, and we as parents are looking forward to see what more this La Pietra education can provide her. I suggest you visit an Open House and see for yourself.

Last modified La Pietra Hawaii School For Girls is a Private school that serves grades 6-12