No rating

Kaimuki Christian School

Private | PK-10 | 335 students

We are known for providing a quality education in a Christian environment

Living in Honolulu

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $681,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Posted August 14, 2013

This school was such a great choice for our children. There is so much love at this school. Our kids really blossomed and thier self-esteem grew so much. We were impressed with the academics but were also impressed at how our kids turned out. Compared to their cousins, they don't swear and seem to remember all of the good things the school teaches them about respect for others. We are not religious people but we like having the values taught to our kids. I know my kids are better people academically, emotionally and spiritually because of Kaimuki Christian School.

Posted August 7, 2013

Having my son attend this school was one of the best decisions I ever made. I defiantly attribute his positive attitude and behavior to the environment he is being brought up in. He is growing up with morals and sound principles that are priceless. He has attended KCS since preschool and going to 1st grade this year he has expressed how he knows his teachers love and care about him. It's my goal to keep him at this school till graduation. I would highly recommend this school to any parent that values academic quality, safety and moral upbringing.

Posted March 27, 2012

My child attended this school from K-4 and it was a very good experience. He has wonderful memories of the good friends, chapel, and Mrs. Nagata. The school has given him a good foundation in academics and also in the golden rule. Since he has attended public for two years and it has shown us how good KCS really is. His HSA scores are comparable with his KCS achievement scores (the school tests the children yearly which gives you a good view of how well they are doing on a national basis.) If you are looking for a small school with good academics and a loving Christian environment, this is the school for your child. The school is expanding from K-8 to K-12. The long term teachers at the school really are good and they do not let your child get away with doing less than they are capable of. Weekly chapel is a joyous event, you should visit to see what Christian education at it's best is.

Posted November 16, 2011

This school is Honolulu's best kept secret. I often hear other parents say that it really is a school of ohana and I would full heartedly agree. Christian values are taught daily and exemplified in the teacher s lives as they genuinely care about their students. I am so glad that they are starting a high school next year. Even though it is a few years away for my son, I can t imagine finding a better environment for him academically, socially, and spiritually, in preparation for his college years.

Posted April 21, 2011

KCS has really provided a great environment for our son to grow in over the past years. We could not be more happy and thankful for the fantastic support he has received from everyone in the KCS Ohana. We have seen him progress socially and academically each year at KCS. It is almost unbelievable to me how much our son has grown in these respects and how much he has enjoyed himself in the process. Thank you KCS for the wonderful experience you have provided him.

Posted February 25, 2011

Educators at Kaimuki Christian School demonstrate an inherent passion for their industry. The atmosphere is extremely positive and upbeat, a place where students can truly thrive in. Students are motivated to do their best while also recieving a strong spiritual foundation imprinted into their hearts. We are appreciative to have our child attending such an outstanding school.

Posted November 20, 2010

I went to a local school fair and saw many of the great private schools in Hawaii with huge tables and lots of parents milling about them. There were just as many around the Kaimuki Christian table. When I asked the other schools what schools they liked to have their children come from, both of the larger schools pointed at the Kaimuki Christian table. They both said the kids come to them with great grades, well rounded and most of all "just good kids with good values." Wow. I was blown away. It is true, they focus on academics and values.

Posted March 1, 2010

We have sent all of our children to this school and have been very impressed with the school. They get one of the best educations in the State of Hawaii and have wonderful teachers. They prepared our kids for Iolani and Punahou. Our older children got in to those schools with no problem. The school gave our kids confidence to handle situations that arise with peer pressure. Our kids know what is right and what is wrong. We are not overly religious but our kids have a very strong sense of what they need to do and how to focus on their goals. I know it is the school because my wife and I are so very busy that I cannot say we were the best of parents. The school did so much for us and in a way acted like a third parent, teaching and guiding our kids.

Posted November 4, 2009

I love Kaimuki Christian because of the strong academic and religion curriculum. My children are developing into well rounded, happy individuals with unending love and faith for God.

Posted May 13, 2009

This is a fabulous school. I was fortunate enough to have parents that cared about my education and my development as a well-rounded person. I cried when I had to leave the school and I never found a school that had such a 'family feeling' and so caring. The focus on a quality education was high and that focus from the school, its teachers and principal made it possible for me and my classmates to get into great high schools and colleges. I loved it so much that my two children now attend the school. The school is even better in so many ways.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 13, 2009

We couldn't be happier at this school. Our two children are getting a wonderful education at a great price. My older son, graduated from the 8th grade and because of the great grades he received at Kaimuki Christian, he got into Punahou and was also accepted into several prestigious highschools. We love the teachers, principal (kind and smart), the students are well-behaved and the academic focus is excellent. It is a small school but it is probably the best kept secret in Hawaii. Actually, a lot of people know the school's reputation. Another thing that I really like about the school is that when my son went to Punahou, he was much better in many of the subjects, especially math and science. He is told by his teachers how well behaved and respectful he is. Sorry to say, that did not come from mom and dad. It came from Kaimuki Christian.

Posted May 1, 2008

Great school. Best kept secret in Honolulu. A special place with high standards. Lots of smart kids.

Posted April 13, 2008

Kaimuki Christian School was such a wonderful experience for me. I wish it went further than the 8th grade. It is such a safe and loving environment. I loved going to school each morning. All of my 8th grade classmates were able to get into the top high schools in Hawaii. We all did extremely well and we all stayed on the straight and narrow because of the loving and Christian background we received at the school. My parents are not Christians and I am so glad they chose to send me to that school. It shaped my life and career. I am ever grateful.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 13, 2008

This school has been a wonderful place for our children. We placed them here for preschool and thought we would apply to other schools for later years. We have been so impressed with the Principal, teachers and students. We are not from Hawaii and we felt welcomed and loved by the staff and my children thrived here. We decided that we could find no better school in Hawaii than KCS. We were impressed at how many of the students get into top highschools. It definitely is a best kept secret and I hope it can continue to stay small and focused.

Posted April 13, 2008

Small school with high academic focus. Students learn how to be great citizens and kind to one another. My kid is going to get into the best high school in the state and I know it is because of this school. I have nothing but respect for the teachers and principal. I have never been associated with such a wonderful school. Tuition went up slightly but we don't mind because it is worth every cent. My child loves going to school each morning and is already talking about how he might cry when he graduates from the 8th grade and has to go to another school.

Posted December 31, 2007

I wish I had sent my kids to KCS . When they go to school they learn manners,study and other skillsthat are just not done at most schools. The staff is very commitedand loveing.

Posted October 23, 2007

I have to say I agree with all of the previous comments. The school has a high standard for academics and the principal is a good leader. Yearly sat testing is done at all grade levels. However, there is favoritism.

Posted September 17, 2007

I was a student here many years ago and now I have my children in the school. The school has always been a strong school in Hawaii from the late 1960s. The Principal is great and the teachers are well qualified. Principal has doctorate and many of teachers have Masters Degrees. They are all very loving individuals. My children get high SAT scores. My son graduated from the school several years ago and got in very easily to Punahou. He excelled in all of his classes and did better in Math and English then other students were at Punahou for years. Kaimuki Christian School is a small school that focuses on good learning and turning your child into a great person.

Posted September 14, 2007

Great music program with brand new instruments. I just saw their band perform tonight. The school is excellent. We are so happy with the very qualified teachers. Science and math are strong. My kids love it. We are not Christians but we love the what are kids are being taught. Very wholesome environment. Loving place! Couldn't be happier with the school.

Posted September 14, 2007

This is an excellent school. It's Hawaii's best kept secret. Tuition is inexpensive and the focus on excellence is very high. My child attends the school. We were at another school where my son did horrible in Math. They have an excellent Math teacher and my son was able to get straight As. His SAT scores shot up. The school gives SAT tests from Kindergarten to prepare the kids for the futures. WE LOVE THE SCHOOL.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Chinese (Mandarin)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • Resources/admin guidance

School start time
  • 8:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Mark Gallagher
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Auditorium
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
MidPac