6-12 & Ungraded
Public charter
Honolulu, HI

Posted November 23, 2014
Love the school from the ground up. Need more schools like this. My daughter a graduate of HKM has is now a Certified Medical Assistant. Mahalo Piha HKM. Graduate of 2012.

Posted September 27, 2013
Halau Ku Mana - Is redefining and decolonizing EDUCATION as we know it. I have been apart of Halau Ku Mana for nearly 8 years. As a Host Community, Stakeholder, Parent, Board Member, Advisory, School Supporter, Champion, Partnering Org, Supporting Org, Participant, Volunteer and most importantly my family became apart of our larger School Ohana and continues long after they graduate. Our students have the best of both worlds but beyond western academics they have the skills to survive in modern day society. Its not just a Charter School, Its a way of Life and its our PIKO ~ AuHoon-Hudson Ohana

Posted September 27, 2013
As a parent of a Graduate of Halau Ku Mana, so sad to read negative post from people who actually have not attended this school. They are judging HKM by the look of buildings and not by the children and the adults they become. My daughters class had 100% matriculation. There are kids in the same colleges as our children that went to expensive private schools. But, HKM is not for everyone. If you judge education by how a place looks than we are definitely not for you but if you want a great hands on, learn who you are, explore this world and become a sustainable active citizen, than HKM is the place for your child. The wooden sign in front of the school "A GRADUATION GIFT TO THE SCHOOL" hand made from the last graduating class (thoughtful students). The state paid $0 for it. Every year they have seen academic improvement. These students learn about the ocean by being in the ocean and how to care for their aina by being on the aina. Ooh and when we have our natural disaster which kids do you thing will fare better, those who have been taught how to find fresh water, how to use natural resources not worry about getting dirty or those that read it on their IPAD that no longer work.

Posted September 27, 2013
Charter Schools in general are not for everyone. However, if it's the right fit, then your child will thrive. Such is the case with our child at Halau Ku Mana. He was lost in the regular DOE system with teachers who treated him as a number. Here at HKM he is thriving. With the caring kumu, the small class size, and the place-based learning, his grades improved along with his self-esteem. The school provides a wonderful environment where kids are pushed to strive for college, and also strive to grow beyond just textbook knowledge. They are taught values and skills that will carry them far beyond their school years. Great leadership and dedicated kumu and staff make for a safe and secure environment where keiki can learn and grow!

Posted September 26, 2013
This is an ideal school for my child. Lessons are rooted in Hawaiian culture and values. Teachers care deeply about the students and their progress. Small class sizes, individualized attention for each student, and open communication between teachers and parents means that students do no fall through the cracks here. Hands-on, placed-based learning makes school fun and relevant. Convenient location, strong leadership and loving teachers.

Posted September 26, 2013
Halau Ku Mana Public Charter School teaches our children to think through tough issues facing us today and allow them to determine for themselves what they think about these issues that our facing our families, communities, nation and the world. I love the discussion at our dinner table in the evenings as we review their day and homework. Not to mention, my children love their school, their classmates and their teachers. It feels good to be a part of the Halau Ku Mana family ; )

Posted September 26, 2013
My school is awesome because I get to learn from my son what he is learning. He is teaching me about Hawaiian values, Hawaiian words, oli, hula, differerent ahupua'a and so much more. I am now learning more about everything Hawaiian. As a student, I did not take these Hawaiian classes. Now, I wish I did.

Posted September 26, 2013
Caring teachers, small class size, individualized attention, and hands-on, project-based learning that engages students and makes learning interesting and relevant. Strong leadership and high expectations from teachers and staff. Convenient location, relaxing natural setting. My child is thriving here.

Posted May 08, 2013
It is obvious that those that comment in the negative are those that are judging this school as a 3rd party observer. Yes, from the outside, this school has it's many challenges. But, just think, even with the "poor" facilities (which they have addressed with new classrooms), they still graduate kids with 100% matriculation to higher education. Tell me of any DOE school that can say that WITH facilities. Just imagine if the DOE would stop and take notice how this small school can achieve what overcrowded middle and high schools can't, and focus on the needs of the children, how much further our public school kids could contribute to their community. And no, this school is not immersion, but they have built into the students the sense of kuleana and pono for their environment. So no, they purposefully will not cement the grounds gifted to them by the community. As for their approach to education, they are a charter school, and by definition are flexible to teach as they feel fit as long as they are producing results determined by DOE. So, yes HKM's approach may not be for everyone. Charter schools are designed for children that traditional teaching doesn't work. E'O HKM!

Posted May 07, 2013
My keiki has been at Halau Ku Mana for 3 years now and will continue on at HKM next school year for high school. My other keiki will be attending elementary at HKM next school year. Although this school may not be for every Ohana, it is a great fit for my Ohana because of our shared values and beliefs. We are thankful to the great vision of the founders of this school, the kumu who remain and the excellent leadership of the po`okumu who have endured and made HKM what it is today. We are blessed with the option to send our keiki to this Hawai`ian focused charter school in our community. Not because it was the last resort, or our keiki didn't fit in at other schools or had pilikia. It simply met all the criteria of a school that met our expectations of nurturing our keiki through grounding in ancestral knowledge with the academic skills necessary to excel in the 21st century. The school understands its challenges and needs and actively works towards solutions and resolutions that embraces the value of Ohana. I am proud of my keiki for appreciating what is being offered at HKM and taking it all in. Ku I ka mana!

Halau Ku Mana Public Charter School
2101 Makiki Heights Dr, Honolulu, HI  96822
Last modified Halau Ku Mana Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Halau Ku Mana Public Charter School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top