PK-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
Honolulu, HI

Posted February 12, 2013
My daughter has been able to attend 2 years now at VPCS, and we've loved it! We're truly sad to be moving away before our son has had a chance to experience Voyager. The staff is amazing. Always going above and beyond. It's always clear how much they care about the students and the staff. We love that VPCS teaches to the WHOLE of each child, not just teaching for testing. Our daughter has received a well rounded education here, and we are constantly surprised by just how much she's learning. We recommend this school to all our ohana and friends on the island!

Posted July 11, 2012
I was very disappointed with the quality of education that my grand-daughter received in 2011. There was so much focus on classroom management that the real joy of learning seemed to be lost. The management philosophy was strictly behavior modification, with a truly Byzantine set of rewards and punishments. It seemed to me that the only thing that engaged her was trying to understand what this Pavlovian world was about. Substantive learning was almost irrelevant. I'm sure this was not the teachers' intentions, but children are smart, and my grand-daughter was most interested in understanding the governance system and the way power is used.

Voyager - A Public Charter School 2

Posted July 10, 2012
They are having too many problems. The facility not safe and not good enough to have kids this young, ele. School kids. I don't feel comfortable leaving my kids there.

Posted October 29, 2011
My son is thriving at this school and he is catching up to his grade level in his reading and writing. He fell behind when I had him in a Montessori school previously. Class sizes are small and teachers are always available for questions or concerns. Facilities are OK. There is no playground but I don't send him to school to play. He gets his physical education playing soccer and other sports after school. I feel he is getting private school type education for free. Now who can complain about that.

Posted August 22, 2011
I am very surprised by some of the negative reviews made on this forum. My two children are just starting their second year at Voyager, having spent their previous years at a very costly private school. Our family is extremely fortunate to be at Voyager, and my children are thriving academically, socially and emotionally. The work is challenging and grade-level appropriate; the teachers are approachable, eager and knowledgeable; the administration is open-minded and forward-thinking. I also love that the classes are smaller so that the kids are able to receive individual attention. Yes, the campus has its downside, but that can be worked out...my priority is the education that my children receive.

Posted August 18, 2011
We were sold on this school given its positive reviews by other parents, however certain basic necessities cannot be overlooked and unfortunately we will send our child to a different school next year. Positives: Small School Involved Parents Non- traditional teaching methods Diverse population Second language taught from K Negatives: Environment not child friendly No cafeteria for at least a year, maybe longer, kid's eat in their class No playground, kid's must walk to a public park shared with homeless. 1 hour of PE a day and recess being spent in doors. This is not conductive to having healthy active kid s. Lack of funding= Lack of facilities, supplies etc. Constant fundraising, donation requests. This is fine but after awhile it becomes overwhelming. More time is spent discussing fundraising rather than how they are improving the quality of education. Teacher turnover= consistency issues Lunch is nearly $5 for full price food served is garbage. We wish the school the best of luck but we feel they jumped the gun with the current move to the new location. Didn't seem well thought out and as a result it will be many years and many dollars before the children will benefit.

Posted July 08, 2011
I am very disapointed about this school because you do PE in the playground and I could not stand my child being in that school the education is horrible to my son was falling behind so I Quit in one year

Posted June 14, 2011
As a former educator, I had high hopes for Voyager, but soon it was obvious my child wasn't meeting the state education standards. Parent's aren't kept abreast of what kid's are studying and if falling behind in a subject, There is no teacher-parent conference and the homework is mostly word-searches. When you start to question your child's education here you are just ignored. I ended up going through all the kids work books at Sam's club to keep him up to level. Most parents get sold on the charter school concept and trust the kids are learning instead of questioning the teachers. The facilities are horrible- no windows, no computer lab, no library, no classrooms (just room partitions), no playground (they use the park nearby where the homeless shoot up), no textbooks (lots of photocopies). And way too many days off (they still furlough Friday, teacher work days and half day on Wednesday). Oh, and your child doesn't even advance to the next grade! (they combo the grade so your child teaches the younger one! great..) I'm not gonna sacrifice the convenient location for his education and will send him to a real (public) school next semester. Think again about this school.

Voyager - A Public Charter School 5

Posted April 02, 2010
I could never say enough positive things about this school. My son attended first grade there in 2007. We were so sad to leave the school when we moved. His teacher, Mr. Anderson, was the pied piper of children. His students would follow him anywhere. His teaching was a joy and everyday was an adventure. My son excelled and will always benefit from his experiences at Voyager.

Voyager - A Public Charter School 5

Posted March 10, 2010

Voyager - A Public Charter School
547 Halekauwila St, Honolulu, HI  96813
Last modified Voyager - A Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Voyager - A Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top