Kahakai Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 613 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 28, 2013

Kahakai elementary was quite enjoyed by my daughter, who was in "senior" kindergarten. There was a nice sense of camaraderie with parents, and the educational material worked well with her. The missing 5th star is due only to the long carousel of cars before and after school to drop off and retrieve our children!! (ugh...)

Posted July 13, 2013

Just moved here from Mainland in April. We thought my child would be ahead of curriculum here after reading so many dismal comments about this school and the test scores... I was pleasantly surprised to find that she was behind! I feel Kahakai is an excellent school and the office staff are wonderful! My children attended the summer school program as well and it was a wonderful experience. We look forward to returning in the fall.

Posted May 31, 2013

My son attended this school from Jr. Kindergarten till 5th grade and we absolutely LOVE it. The teachers and entire staff are amazing. Watching him graduate and having to leave was very emotional, as this really is a family oriented school. Luckily we have another child who will still be attending. I am so happy that we chose Kahakai Elementary as our son's primary school.

Posted February 28, 2012

I think Kahakai is a great school. There are fun and educational after school programs. My son who attends fourth grade is the youngest of my three. Between the three we have experienced 2 other west side elementary Schools including Holualoa, and Kahakai is by far the best. As a matter fact we live in Holualoa district...

Posted April 17, 2011

I attended here back in the day, and I sincerely hope things have changed since then. I was identified as "gifted", and pulled out of class to take part in a gifted program. The program consisted of nothing but putting us in front of computers to play games for an hour or two. I'm thinking the goal was really to stunt our development so they could just throw us back into the regular classes. Time spent in class was with some witch of a teacher who seemed to despise me because I was 1) new mid-year, and 2) haole. Such a waste. Luckily we moved to a better school nearby soon after, and I caught up quickly from those wasted years...

Posted March 25, 2011

Great, very supportive and involved principal. She ensures after school programs for the school. Also, active presence of VPs. Teachers keep you posted on how your child is doing.

Posted February 7, 2009

Kahakai has a very good line-up of after-school programs (my son is signed up for arts, kids fit club, & karate, for this term). Teachers are involved with the students learning process. (Mrs. DeGuair is a great new teacher). Safety & a no bullying environment is emphasized & parent involvement is encouraged (& of course is a key to student's success).

Posted February 5, 2009

My son has been going to this school since pre-k. Now he's in second grade. I really love how this school works and how safe it is. I'm glad my son is enrolled in this school. They whole staff really is on it with safety, they have kids under control, especially after school, and to me that's very important. The principle and vice-principle are the BEST! Thanks so much Kahakai Staff. Keep up the good work!

Posted June 2, 2008

My daughter was at Kahakai sadly for only one year, we have re-located to CA from HI and will miss this school greatly. What a pleasure her 1st grade teacher (Miss Angela Stotts) is, she and all the staff really try to make this school thrive. My daughter's abilities were recognized and encouraged, we really felt like we were getting private school attention in a public school. We wish everyone well and are sad to have left.

Posted September 8, 2007

Kahakai elementary school has a very well planned curriculum that helps students perform to the best of their abilities

Posted September 4, 2007

Every week we are given updates on our 'haole' daughters progress and given many chances to be involved. She has made huge strides in learning, she surprises me daily with what she tells me about school. Homework for a kindergarten aged child was a bit daunting at first but she loves to show off what she knows now, and does her homework 3 or 4 times in a row at night. The teacher is wonderful and caring, and everyone I have dealt with in the office is polite and knows just how to help with my needs.

Posted June 2, 2007

We too are half Haole. I thought other school mo better in all ways. My daughter is not happy. Kids fight. Test Scores Bad. We might look at other schools. I love some of the teachers, others, not so, they should work for the state. Nobody knows what is going on at the school. They need better programs, organization, accountability.

Posted February 25, 2006

Our daughter is in 1st grade and attended Kahakai last year too. She loves this school and is doing amazingly well. She is learning a lot more than my husband and I were at that age. The teachers are organized, homework is challenging. They have great programs to get parents involved. We moved here right before she started Kindergarden and were a bit worried that she would not fit in. (she is half 'Haole' half Spanish). The school has a great mixture of children and she's made plenty of friends. We give Kahakai 'Two Thumbs Up'!

Posted January 18, 2006

Kahakai School has made tremendous progress over the last couple years. The teachers are better trained and students test scores have improved. School events are fun and although like most schools parent involvement is not very good. I like the school very much. My daughter is happy there. It is a nice, safe and friendly environment for the kids.

Posted August 21, 2005

Good school with a real Ohana feeling. Nice family events.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2011-2012 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2012.

102 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

102 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2012.

114 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

114 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian 20% 35%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A47%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

76147 Royal Poinciana Dr