7-8 & Ungraded
Kailua, HI

Posted November 07, 2013
I am impressed with the quality of education at KIS! The teachers and staff are friendly and knowledgeable! We are happy with our decision to take our child out of private school and instead have him attend KIS!

Posted September 13, 2013
I am a former employee at KIS and can not speak to the GT program, although I can attest that this is a positive and growing school. This school has a rigorous curriculum and dedicated teachers, as well as a dedicated support staff. All of the educators i worked with were highly qualified and skilled in their content areas. The administration team is committed to the SUCCESS and needs of students. I would recommend this school. KIS has a very strong Science program and Math program as well. - C. Yee

Posted July 11, 2012
My son was a GT student at KIS. This school is pathetic. Comapared to other schools on the island it may be okay? Compared with the other 49 States the administration and teachers at KIS and the education received from KIS are abysmal.

Kailua Intermediate School 2

Posted April 26, 2012
We started out the school year optimistic. Our daughter made some nice friends and while the move to a much bigger school took getting used to, she enjoyed the experience. She had some good teachers and some who were indifferent. It was surprising for the gifted and talented program, but I think we could have looked past this until the bullying and intimidation started. For her it was in art class when an 8th grade girl took a disliking to our daughter and began to tease and intimidate her. It didn't take long for the bully to escalate to intimidation and threats of violence, but when we spoke to the counselor her first question was, " What did your daughter do?" A few teachers have been kind enough to keep a watchful eye out for my daughter's safety, but any gains in security have been hard fought against a school more interested in protecting their staff than nurturing and stewarding their students. If you are thinking of putting your daughter in this school, make sure she can defend herself. the education ours is receiving is not quite the orientation we had been expecting.

Kailua Intermediate School 4

Posted February 21, 2012
The Honor's Program (GT) at KIS is highly-regarded and rigorous. It is a well-kept secret that the curriculum utilized and the technology available to the students in this program are similar to those used in the most prestigious private schools on the island. I have been repeatedly impressed by the level of commitment and involvement by the teachers in the Honor's Program and feel very thankful that my child is a part of it. Many Honor's teachers generously spend off-time to create enriching opportunities outside the school schedule. Band is a highlight of the school, as is the science and robotics program. My child has never once been bullied and has made good friends. There are some "thugs" that attend this school, and it is sad to see that this is the direct product of lack of parental involvement. Get involved with your child's education, parents!!! Very military-friendly school. Bravo, KIS!

Posted December 09, 2011
This school does not deserve the rating of "8." Many kids are having lots of problems at this school. The teachers do not teach the students - they hand them the work and expect them to do it without any type of instruction or guidance. There is no communication and no accountability or trust with the teachers - they are part of a union - so no one can touch them - not even the principal or superintendent.

Posted June 08, 2010
My son just completed 8th grade in the GT program and I am sad it is all over. It was a wonderful experience and he recieved an excellent education. The principal was very responsive and the Band teacher is probably the top in the country, my son not only recieved a great education but learned to get along with all kinds of kids from every economic background. There were very littlie reports of fights and drugs which is more then I can say where I grew up in the 70's on the mainland. I would not waist your money on private school save it for college and send your child to KIS. We were very happy and as always it is what your child goes home to that is important, Snap grades were great I can't say enough good things about the program.

Posted March 22, 2010
One person runs that school and it isn't the Principal. If there is an issue with one of the Teachers, the staff circles around that teacher wrong or right to protect them at the expense of the students well being. Assignments are given out and never graded. The staff treats the children and parents in a very unwelcomed mannter

Posted March 22, 2010
My child was a student at KIS, enrolled in the GT program. We actually cancelled a move to the mainland because of him getting into this highly talked about program. This porgram is a complete waste of time. If there are issues with teachers, the issues go ignored, turned around to make it seem like it is your fault, and the child is punished for respectfully speaking out. The Principal is not in charge of this school, the G.T. Head is. Do not get on this man's bad side, he will kick your child out of the program. Assignments are assigned and not counted in their grade. Teachers are smart mouthed to the students and say inappropriate things. I was told by my childs teacher that my child violated his trust by coming home and talking about certain things that he was told not to talk about to anyone. Yea....

Kailua Intermediate School 0

Posted January 21, 2010
My son moved from a private school that was unable to address his learning needs to KIS. He has had more depresion and more fear going to KIS than the private school. I feel that the instruction he gets is about average, they have helped him improve in his difficulties, but his fear of going to school can influence his learning. We also feel there is no other choice for our son.

Kailua Intermediate School
145 South Kainalu Dr, Kailua, HI  96734
Last modified Kailua Intermediate School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kailua Intermediate School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top