PK-6 & Ungraded
Kailua, HI
Before care: Yes

Posted October 15, 2014
This is by far the best school I've ever seen! I find that every staff member here puts the children first. They are always happy and smiling and they stop at nothing to ensure ALL KIDS have exactly what they need to flourish! The school has different events almost weekly that are fun for the whole family and the teachers are just amazing. Every single one of them is wonderful and my kids have progressed so much here & we owe all our thanks to them. Coming from homeschooling we were all nervous about the transition but I cannot imagine ever doing that in another place. There really arent enough great words to describe just how wonderful this school is. There is no other school quite like this one anywhere. The school itself, the staff, the students, the other parents..the HEART here is unlike anything I've ever seen.

Posted May 20, 2014
My children have attended Kainalu for the past 4 years. Caring teachers surround them, holding the children s well being as the most important aspect of learning. Thru collaboration with ` ina in Schools, each grade level has curricula that relates the garden to food, science, culture, art, story telling, & diet. Other collaborative efforts are Tails of Aloha, Sustainable Coastlines HI, Plastic Free Hawaii, Royal Hawaiian Band, Olelo TV, Special Friends, YMCA, National History Day, Science Fair, Junior Police Officers, Speech Festival, & still more! One favorite assignment is Biography Day, in grade 3, when each student dresses as their favorite historical figure & acts out a life story, which they have researched & written. Students classrooms studies are enhanced with a wide array of field trips to which relate studies to the place they live. Children test into the Gifted program at Kainalu, involving them in film-making, science projects, & National History Day. With this, they have won Olelo film awards, & even travelled to Washington DC, as NHD finalists. Curious? Check out the Kainalu PTA facebook page, & see what the school is up to now!

Posted May 17, 2014
Both of my children attend Kainalu and we couldn't be happier! The teachers, staff, PTA, and volunteers go the extra mile to ensure high quality learning and a positive community.

Posted May 13, 2014
Our daughter has been at Kainalu Elementary for her entire elementary school career. She will be graduating from the 6th grade in a couple of weeks. We will truly miss this school that has provided so many opportunities for her to learn so much! Kainalu has a wonderful GT program, and our daughter participated in National History Day, Olelo, Robotics, Science Fair, Tech Club, Student Government, and many other after school activities. The teachers really give their all to see that their students thrive. I know this has been the best choice of a school for our daughter because she recently competed with kids from private schools for scholarships, and she won. This says a lot for Kainalu Elementary!

Kainalu Elementary School 4

Posted May 13, 2014
Kainalu Elementary School - great, small town school with passionate principal, spectacular tech club, garden club, PTA, etc.

Kainalu Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
Kainalu Elementary Great for the first 4 years with encouraging and supportive teaching. Wonderful extracurriculars & opportunities for the students to shine & develop confidence. Final 2 years seem bent on destroying all that was gained with badgering, bullying, and repression. A sense of humor, acceptance, & alliance goes a long way in dealing with pre-teens. These qualities promote the continued zest for learning that is fostered in the early years. Why nurture confidence & then destroy it in the end?

Posted January 25, 2013
My daughter attended Kainalu for Kindergarten and is now in first grade, and we are happy with the school. We're a military family here for three years and researched the few pockets of good public schools in Oahu. We chose to live in Kailua because of this and love Kainalu. My daughter had classes in Hawaiian cultural studies and an after-school program in Mandarin Chinese. She's learning a lot in core subjects and challenged along the way. Her teachers had 10+ and 20+ years of teaching experience and were great partners in learning.

Posted December 15, 2012
We are a military family and had heard negative reports about Hawaii's public schools. Nothing could be further from the truth at Kainalu. We absolutely love this school. The curriculum is the most challenging our kids (4th and 5th grade) have ever had. We have seen no teaching to standardized tests here - instead they are focused on skills that kids will need in life - critical thinking, reading comprehension, writing, speaking and presentation skills. The teachers are fabulous and obviously dedicated to the kids and the principal is always present at every event, cheering the kids on. I wish our kids had started here in kindergarten and wish they could finish the rest of their elementary years here!

Posted March 29, 2012
Exceeded my expectations for my two boys. Between the two of them, we experienced K - 3 and I would recommend this elementary school over other area schools based on my experiences. Approachable & professional teachers along with a dedicated support staff allow this school to bust the myth regarding Hawaii schools being bad. The principal encourages parents to get involved and volunteer. The philosophy at this school is that they are a partner in our children's education to support us as parents. The facilities may not look pretty but the environment is safe, welcoming, warm and the kids enjoy being on campus.

Posted January 17, 2012
I have two kids that go to Kainalu and they love it. So do I. The curriculum is strong, there are lots of extra curricular and other activities that keep the families involved with the school in a fun and informative way. The student body is great as well, a lot of good, nice, smart kids with good parents.

Kainalu Elementary School
165 Kaiholu St, Kailua, HI  96734
Last modified Kainalu Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kainalu Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top