Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

What a disappointment! We requested a Geographic Exception for our daughter to attend HS here after we carefully reviewed both options in Kailua, and sadly, we are pulling her out this month, Dec 2016. The initial registration process for us was the first of many disappointing encounters. We were treated rudely and misinformed on step needed to enroll. On another occasion our daughter did not have enough money in her lunch account and her lunch tray was actually taken from her. How absurd to take food from a child and then waste the lunch and toss it after she had handled it! I sat in the office and fumed for nearly 45 minutes before administration even came out to speak with me. Most recently my daughter was threatened by another female student via text. I immediately called the school and asked to speak directly with the principal. I was put on hold after the front desk lady tried to pry information from me explaining that it involved a critically important situation involving my daughter's sense of safety at the school. My phone call went to a voicemail on November 3, 2016. Today is December 29, 2016 and no one has ever returned my call. Unfortunately the teachers are also subjected to threats and harassment as well. During a science class a boy threatened and yelled right up in the face of the teacher, upsetting the teacher and students alike. That teacher suddenly left the school last month. We just received notice this week that the math teacher is now leaving too. Too many disruptive situations for far too long already. Take a ride down the street during drop off and pick up and you'll see a few fights, kids hanging out on neighbors yards and young drivers racing down quiet neighborhood streets. We had such high hopes for you Kalaheo and you've more than disappointed. The entire administration needs a new overhaul so that our kids and our teachers can thrive, not simply survive four years of high school. Do your due diligence before enrolling here!!

The plus sides: The honor and AP classes are challenging, most sport teams and clubs are welcoming, most admin and staff seem to care, and keeps parents inform by monthly newsletters! Areas to improve: Can use more adult supervision to make sure students are following rules in between class breaks and lunch, enforce dress code, make sure substitutes are highly qualified, and spruce up campus to be more inviting. Has the potential to be the best high school in Hawaii, just needs a little fine tuning!

I transferred here for 1 semester, and it completely messed everything up. My teachers had almost no control over the class. My history teacher gave the class a sixty-point extra credit, so I more than passed that class by only doing worksheets. I don't think we even did worksheets in that class. In science, we literally filled out worksheets every day. When I arrived at the school, I was ahead of the Japanese II class, but by the time I left, I was really behind. Because of Kalaheo, I had to repeat my math and Japanese classes when I came to private school. Kids even smoked e-cigs in the back of my health class. I don't understand how this school got such a great rating in Honolulu magazine, because the time I spent there was completely wasted.

As a student at Kalaheo,I can confirm that there is nothing good about this school. Staff turns a blind eye to drug use and most of them are there for the money. There are only 2 functional toilets for boys throughout the school and there are no toilet paper rolls or running water.

My daughter spent about 2 and a half years at the school. She had a pretty good experience. She was not in the AP type classes so she was not always challenged as much as she could have been. Her counselor and the college counselor were great. wish they could have been more flexible with students with enough credits wanting to leave campus early to work part time for a job in their career field.

I live right beside this school, and I have to say, this school has a huge problem with truancy. Everyday, dozens of kids are dropped off at the intersection by the school and never actually go on campus. I watch them all day walking back and forth down the streets, trespassing on private property, and generally wasting their lives. There have been several large fights break out after school on the street with mobs of students egging the fighters on, as well as a couple of drug busts so far this year. Kaleheo is in a nice part of Kailua, but there seems to be no control at the school whatsoever. My husband met with the administrator last year to try to partner with the school in solving these problems, but they didn't seem too concerned. I have no idea how this school gets a "great school" rating on their test scores when the attendance is so low. This seems a little strange to me. When my children are high school age, I will do whatever I have to to keep them from going to Kaleheo.

We have two sons, one quit going to the private school he was attending and chose to get his diploma through the Windward school for adults (also located at Kalaheo High). He scored high enough on the GED test to get a diploma instead of a GED. Our second son is a freshman at Kalaheo, he has had problems with reading and writing since he began school. This is the first school that he has enjoyed attending. He is involved in the Jr. ROTC program, this has increased his confidence in himself.

We have 2 children attending Kalaheo High School. Our son has been attending for 4 years and will graduate this year, our daughter is now a sophomore. It has been a good experience for both of them. We have been happy with the teachers. They use snapgrades so you can keep up on your students grades which is helpful. The teachers are open to students coming in after school if they need extra help. The college counselor is great. It's a small school so your students can try any sport. The teachers and coaches are encouraging.

I graduated from this school last year, and my overall opinion of it, is that it's generally a good school. Most of the staff love their jobs and genuinely care about their students' success. There seems to be a huge chasm-like gap between the expectations of AP teachers and regular class teachers. But I guess that's just a typical high school, since it required to attend. Those who cared about their grades and going to college were definitely welcomed with open arms.

Kalaheo is a good school. The administration and teachers are both extremely helpful and well educated. The best thing by far about Kalaheo is the teachers who are dedicated and caring. The students themselves generally are very disrespectful or apathetic with the exception of the AP and honors courses. Athletics are good, however too much emphasis is placed on it. Facilities are okay, however a renovation is needed. There are a certain amount of cliques as well, as like any school has. Basically, the teachers are awesome and the school itself is okay, and there are hardworkers and those who dont care. Overall, a good school.

Last modified Kalaheo High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.