PK-6 & Ungraded
Public charter
Kailua, HI

Lanikai Elementary - Public Charter School 3

Posted June 27, 2013
School is above average for Oahu, similar to other elementary schools in Kailua. After reading the last review I had to submit. We have a different experience. Yes 2 of the teachers mentioned are great and caring (1st & 2nd grade) yes the new director is a HUGE improvement over the last principal, but many students & parents have a different view point of the art "teacher" and that includes my family. Constantly hearing complaints about her yelling at the students, not speaking loud, yelling. Other parents & grandparents have heard her yelling at her classes when on campus and passing her classroom. Some students do not want to go to art because of this and because they have no opportunity to be creative in her class. Quote from my 5th grader "we have to do everything her way, we do not get to be creative." Three of my children have had this experience, they and many of our friends children have had this experience with this individual. I hesitate to call her a teacher because she is not certified to be one. Some of the art the children produce looks good but there is a sameness about it. I appreciate that they have an art program here, just wish someone else was teaching it.

Lanikai Elementary - Public Charter School 4

Posted June 26, 2013
We recently left Lanikai because of a military move. We loved the school. My children both had excellent teachers all three years we were there. Mr. VanDerKamp, Mrs. Villegas, and Mrs. McKay were all excellent! Mr. Noh (principal) is great. He helped start a chess club with a few parents. My 6 year old loved playing chess and thought it was cool to play with the principal. Mr. Noh knows all the kids and knows most of the parents. The art teacher Mrs. Kristy is also amazing. I loved the accessibility of the teachers. They make you feel totally welcome to email or just talk before or after school. I truly felt that they cared for my children. My kids loved the school and I loved the feeling of Ohana. Both kids are ahead of their peers at their new schools. I was so worried that they would be behind due to the reputation of Hawaii schools. I'm so glad we got a G.E. to attend this school. We miss it terribly, our new school doesn't begin to compare.

Lanikai Elementary - Public Charter School 4

Posted February 17, 2013
I LOVE Lanikai Elementary PCS! The school is small and really feels like an Ohana. The new director is amazing and the children are always pushed to think outside the box. That being said there is always need for improvement. Homework is brutal, especially in the upper grades. I would like to see a policy implemented that limits projects and requires no more than 10 mins of homework per grade level. The school is wonderful at encouraging volunteering and has a lot of activities planned by the LSO (PTA). I don't think there is a better elementary school (on the Windward side) that considers the whole child unless you want to pay $10K+ a year.

Posted November 11, 2012
This school is amazing! Left another one to go here it's a great school to go to

Posted November 11, 2012
So tired of the politics at Lanikai. If you are not part of the in crowd, your kids are done for. If your kid is being bullied, forget trying to have anything constructive done for them. It is such a shame that the needs of the children are placed so far downstream of those of the staff and parents. Don't get me wrong. Some of these teachers work darn hard to give the kids every opportunity and benefit that they might have, but there are too many people standing in their way. The haters and the controllers need to fall by the wayside and let those with constructive ideas come forward to propel this potentially talented school forward with the students at the front. I guess we've just given up on it and have decided to take our kids elsewhere.

Posted September 06, 2012
One of the teachers I know of there could be more has no degree. Not in anything, not in the subject taught, not in education, none. Some of the substitute teachers they use have not been through the program required for all substitute teachers in the State. Requirements include a college degree and specific coursework relating to teaching as a substitute ( lesson plans, classroom management etc.)

Posted May 25, 2012
It really depends on what you're looking for in an elementary school. If you want a school admin. that effectively handles bullying from children and adults alike, this is not the school for you. If your child is shy, quiet, or has any sort of trait that would be considered "different", this may not be a good fit. If community events, school social nights and Extra Curricular are what you like, this IS the school for you. PTSA has some great members, and some not-so-great. If you are not accepted socially, it is a nightmare-but that is true at any school. Teachers vary here. Some are wonderful, and others really need to go. If you can afford the after school activities, they are enjoyable. I don't see favoritism but I do see a lack of consistency with school policy throughout. The new principal has been here for a full year and he is very nice, but reluctant to administer any meaningful consequences for students who need discipline. Academically, my child did well here, but could have done so much more if the teachers were allowed to teach rather than spend time dealing with disruptive behavior in the classroom. Ultimately this was not a good fit for our child and we are leaving.

Posted May 23, 2012
Lot of favoritism behind the scenes. Teachers entering the one-way school lot going the wrong direction. What kind of EXAMPLE is that? Should also consider ONLY upper class-men for the student council vice president and president positions.... Other than that school is good-ish.

Posted May 15, 2012
I L-O-V-E- Lanikai Elementary School. We have been at this wonderful school for 2 years. A new admin team was established this year, and the trio have done an outstanding job through out the school. The teachers and parents support eachother, seeing eye to eye on the national standards of scholarly achievements and have teamed together to exceed those expectations. This is the little school that could and CAN. PTSA has done a fantastic job in getting parents and the community members involved and engaged with the school and students. From Hawaiiana, Library, Computers, Music, PE and ART- this is a school that you would be proud to be a part of.

Posted April 24, 2012
Lanikai PSC is a wonderful elementary school! The families at the school are great and care about their children's education. They volunteer in the classroom as well as at school events. Teachers are committed and dedicated to the kids. The principal is outstanding! He sets such a positive tone for the school. Our kids love the specials (art, music, PE) and we feel fortunate that Lanikai offers them. They also have a wide range of after school activities which our kids have enjoyed. We feel very fortunate that we were accepted as GE into Lanikai and wouldn't want our kids anywhere else!

Lanikai Elementary - Public Charter School
140 Alala Rd, Kailua, HI  96734
Last modified Lanikai Elementary - Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lanikai Elementary - Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top