Maunawili Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted January 13, 2013

This is the greatest school I have ever sent my children to. One of my children has quite sever autism and he receives absolutely caring and professional service from the whole staff. At the latest IEP meeting, 12 people participated to discuss how my son is doing at school and what would be the best way to implement the goals in his IEP! My son's special education teacher and his one-on-one aide fully understand his character and personality, and his speech therapist, ELL teacher, autism consultatn, and occupational therapist are all very professional, working together as a team for my son's best interest. The student service coordinator is also very smart and capable, and answers all my questions right away and never made me wait. One of the main reasons this school has such a great environment seems to be the principal Amine. Whenever I have a concern, I could talk to the principal and he makes me feel so much understood. He is such a caring and capable leader that I heard many of the teachers say that they are truly blessed. I would recommend this school to any parent, but especially if you are a parent with a special needs child, Maunawili is definitely a school to seek out.

Posted September 1, 2011

My kids were in school in a very good mainland elementary school prior to moving here. At first, the curriculum was a little too easy, and I was worried that my kids would stagnate, but within days, the teachers each adjusted the curriculum to be more challenging. The kids have thrived under the care of their great teachers! The enrichment program is excellent for curriculum supplementation as well. I have been very pleased with the attention that my kids have been given in both years of their school experience. The teachers consistently tailor the education to the level the kids need. The atmosphere could not be better for imparting a love of learning! It is positive, nurturing, friendly, and fun. Parents are encouraged to be part of the educational process. My kids love going to school, and they are improving at an appropriate level. The strength of the school is in the people. The entire staff, from Principal Amine and the office staff, to the teachers and classroom aides, are all enthusiastic, hard working people with the kids' best interests at heart. I do not think they will have trouble placing in a good secondary school when it is time to compete for a spot.

Posted December 1, 2010

I hear many great things about Maunawili elementary, unfortunately as an actual graduate from this elementary school I would have to say that my experience here was less than pleasant. I've struggled me whole life with Asperger syndrome, and although the teachers meant well they were unable to meet my learning needs. I was very soft spoken and did not speak up often when other students were harassing me, nor was I given the challenges I needed to excel in learning. This school will be perfect for a student that does not have an social disability but if you have an autistic or Asperger's child this is defiantly not the right learning environment for them. I would highly recommend looking into charter elementary schools or mixed schools which offer both online and in person lessons because they are more likely to be able to create a curriculum and environment that will challenge and motivate your child to seek out their full potential.

Posted September 25, 2007

I have three children attending Maunawili Elementary and I am pleased with the curriculum, staff and administration. When we moved from Califorinia two years ago, a lot of people cautioned me that I should look into putting my children into private schools due to the supposed curriculum level of public schools. I'm glad I did not take their advice. My children thrive in the wonderful learning environment this school provides. In addition, the teachers, Principal and staff are very nice and caring.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A49%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1465 Ulupii St