PK-6 & Ungraded
Kailua, HI

Posted September 18, 2014
Was encouraged to post here by a mutual perspective. Upset with teaxher-parent relationship and the female vp, Character says a lot about a person. Parents talk a lot about these isses but need to get more active in school to ensure that admin wont slack off.. Not sure how the school finds hire? Is the school short of resources? Similar to the other poster, the BOE and DOE are struggling and suppose times are rough. Parents need to think about whats important and hopefully find satisfaction.

Posted June 24, 2014
Last year was somewhat more productive than this year. Some of the changes in admin and newer hiring perhaps contributed to the decline of parent satisfaction. While we appreciate the honest hard work of many ( kids kindergarten teacher was good), there are some that are terrible additions contributing to the progress of our children well being. Some stories shared by parents concerning faculty are unfathomable (however perhaps due to lack of funds and the ongoing poor ed system in HI, the employee motivation at work is difficult to obtain and improve better hires). Better to homeschool.

Posted May 01, 2014
The only reason I give this school 2 stars is for my daughters teachers this year.They have been great. Other then that I would choose another school. My son a 5th grader has had nothing but projects this year.Seriously begining to think they just hand out projects so they dont have to do anything else. I have repeatedly asked for help for him and been given the run around. Coming onto a military base I was highly disappointed in what I saw would be my childrens school. I still dont understand why this is not a DOD school. We came from a DOD school in Japan and it was amazing. The fact the the Govt., or the military for that matter subject our children to such low educational standards is appalling. As of now when we get back to mainland even my daughter who is getting straight A's will be well behind the other children her age. So disappointed and saddened with the outcome of sending my children to this school.

Posted January 23, 2014
- Teacher Quality: first year can't really judge - Principal Leadership: don't know who he is. Never seen him. Maybe participate in a school pledge of Allegiance in the so called field they have. Maybe go around the classes and see that the teachers are teaching and how they are teaching. Maybe stop by lunch for each time periods to see how the kids are doing. What they are being fed. Maybe walk around the school and recess during the day to give a high five or play basketball with the kids. Maybe interact yourself with knowing who the kids parents are. Maybe get out of your office and socialize yourself with EVERYBODY. Maybe help out during drop off and pick up. Maybe SHOW that you care about our students. Test scores for math and reading are just over 50%. - Parent Involvement: I think it would be a LOT better if the school would actually care what parents thought and took action. There's no activities for the kids to participate in. Like a school fair with games and cheap prizes. A bake sale is a great idea. Way to get the school and families TOGETHER. There's none of that here. If you do take a chance here GOID LUCK!

Posted January 23, 2014
I have never seen a school that has such poor organization.. 6 year olds are allowed to walk home alone without parent permission... which i personally thing is wrong, good luck if you want to get in touch with someone by email to discuss the issue of not being able to find your child during pick up because they had walked home because the bell rings and everyone just goes. as far as drop off and pick up, the adults stand outside and wave for you to move further down.. that is all they do i have seen many parents having to get out of the car to open the childs door (which i would assumed was probably child locked) with an adult standing right there.. this is the reason the line doesnt move in the morning.. the teachers are okay though communication with the parents is not the best.

Mokapu Elementary School 4

Posted January 23, 2014
My daughter has been at Mokapu for 3 years. We have had amazing teachers, and overall good experience with the administration. Never really had an issue school level. But parents don't get involved and it is difficult to hear everyone always complaining but never doing anything to change it. 800+ kids maybe 20 people regularly volunteer. The balance is off - making it harder for admin. to handle everything when parents don't seem to care. My daughter has done after school enrichment programs, track, math club, mad science and more - lots of opportunities. School wide Literacy night in the fall (free event) was a blast and The PTA Family craft night in December is an amazing event - event had Santa. Bingo night, craft nights, and so much more. Not to mention NFL Play 60 was yesterday and the kids had a blast. Hopeful that Science and Math night both upcoming will be great fun too! I wish there were more but I understand why without support it is hard for the school and PTA. I love our teachers and staff they know every child and go above and beyond whenever they can.

Posted November 06, 2013
If you have a special needs child RUN as far and as fast as you can from this school. We have been in Hawaii 9 months and have racked up 14 violations of IDEA. My son is 6 and attended part of his kindergarten year and is currently enrolled in 1st grade. They failed to provide services to him that were listed on his out of state ID, was found in a parking lot by a parent volunteering, started current school year a week late because they didn't have his supports in place, was told by his teacher she didn't have time to listen to safety concerns, freely admitted he is given no direct instruction, I could go on and on. The whole SPED program, from Administration down is the WORST I have ever come across. Please, seriously consider other options.

Mokapu Elementary School 5

Posted September 24, 2013
As a former teacher and military spouse, I was so blessed to have had my children attend this school. There are all kinds of rumors out there about Hawaii schools ( that you hear from the military). Mokapu is very much like a family and know the needs of military children. My son attended first thru fourth at Mokapu. My daughter attended kindergarten. We move to Virginia last year. We moved to one of the highly recommended public school districts. My son and daughter took tests to see where they would be placed. Both are in excelled classes and have maintained on honor roll. Mokapu prepared them for future success. As a military family, we feel blessed to have been a part of Mokapu. The teachers are amazing!

Mokapu Elementary School 5

Posted May 30, 2013
Wonderful school. My child was here for junior kindergarten, 5th, and 6th grade and my daughter for junior kindergarten. Both recommended to skip kindergarten and go straight to 1st grade because of the attention they got during Jr. K. All the teachers our children had were attentive, organized and truly cared about what the education our children (and other students) received during their time there. Like all schools, the parents have play just as important a role as the staff and the student and all of our concerns were addressed in a proper and timely manner. The principal and vice principal run a tight watch and hold the students and teachers accountable and has definitely improved since the last time were were here a decade ago.

Mokapu Elementary School 3

Posted April 30, 2013
I have had 3 kids at Mokapu for the past 3 years ranging from Jr. K to 6th grade. For the most part the school has been god. My special needs child gets attention and his teacher this year has been amazing! All my kids have had a good experience at Mokapu and I have enjoyed the Teachers. Like most schools it has its downfalls, my kids complain about the food, its terrible! But other than that I am glad my kids went here!

Mokapu Elementary School
Kmcas Bldg, Kailua, HI  96734
Last modified Mokapu Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mokapu Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 119 reviews. Top