PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Our daughter has loved attending SJV since she was in the ELC program. She enjoys the great music program and hula. Great community!

SJV is a wonderful school with very caring, loving teachers and staff. They have always provided excellent individualized attention for my son and all the children at the school. They have a very convenient before and afterschool program that has been a life saver for my wife and I. I highly recommend SJV.

I have heard of some people who are not happy with St. John's, but for a small, Catholic school in a very expensive genre (private schools in Hawaii), you couldn't ask for a better environment. There is truly a sense of community (every morning, the children gather together to start the day with a prayer, Pledge of Alligence and annoucements), targeting needs (children who are advanced per their peers are given opportunities to explore additional educational opportunities), and principal involvement. The principal is on the grounds EVERY day, is accessible (greets parents in the drop-off/pick-up line), has an "open-door policy" and is easy to talk to. I read some of the reviews that he was unapproachable, but when I had an issue, he simply asked that I first addres the concern with the teacher and if I was unable to resolve it, to come back to him. (As an aside, the teacher was able to address my concerns). Although there is no cafeteria, the lunch is INCLUDED in the tuition, making the expense of a private school somewhat more affordable. We are happy parents to send our children there, and will continue sending our other children there until they graduate.

I was amazed when I read the preceding reviews of St. John Vianney School. I truly felt they must be writing about the wrong school! It appears there are a couple of people who are trying to damage the reputation of a school that provides a safe, warm, loving environment for their students along with a strong academic curriculum. SJV has, over the past three years, become a leading school utilizing 21st century learning, and incorporating the use of top-notch technology in all areas of their curriculum. The principal is very approachable to students and parents. SJV is a small community school that tries to keep its tuition as low as possible and still provide the best education and environment possible. Most of the physical improvements are accomplished by fundraising or grants. We were recently told of great new things happening at SJV: new a.c. in the ELC, new aquaponics and robotics programs, new laptops and iPads. I think that s pretty impressive for a school in decline !! My children love SJV and so do my husband and I. You couldn t wish for a more loving, academically strong school for your child!

I love this school... My kids love this school...They are very generous with their financial aid.. without it we wouldn't be here!! Everyone works hard, is friendly, caring and tries their best for all of the students. My oldest child was accepted by all 5 high schools she applied to when she finished 8th grade and ended up going to Maryknoll High School. I'm sure my other 2 children will be just as successful. SJV is a great school, with a great principal and staff!

What was once a great school has been on the decline in the last few years. And yes, enrollment at SJV is declining. Even parents who are members of the church are pulling their kids out of SJV & sending their kids to other schools. At the same time, the cost of tuition has gone up! The school has no cafeteria, and students eat ON THE GROUND fronting the Parish Hall under a tree where bird droppings cover the ground! Not a very sanitary environment if you ask me. When our two kids were there, we saw a staircase that was literally falling apart! When I asked one of the teachers if the school knew about the large crack & falling cement from the staircase, she said the school knew about it, but the Principal didn't think it wasn't a safety concern. I couldn't believe it! When I asked to speak with the Principal about my concerns, I was turned away at the school office by the secretary who told me that he "didn't have time" to meet with me! That did it for us. We pulled our kids from SJV. When church members told us they took their kids out from the school too, we knew we made the right decision. Avoid this school.

There are many issues at this school. When approaching the principle with issues with teachers.....he directed us to speak to the teachers as if he couldn't be bothered. When we did not re-enroll for the following school year, the principle did not even ask why. Many teachers lack professionalism. Assignment grades were not entered into to snap grades in a timely matter, dues dates for assignments constantly changed and parents stated their children were even afraid to talk to their teachers...not a very safe and caring environment if you ask me. There is even a teacher who walks in class with no shoes on! Honors classes? No not really....ask some of the graduates who took honors math at SJV and ask them how well they did as freshmen..I did! If you have child with a learning disability.....the teachers do not have training (if any) to accommodate. The building is old and needs help...toilets overflow, drinking fountains constantly break, sink in classroms back up, the classrooms all need to be scrubbed and cleaned out. Some textbooks used in class date to the 70's There are a few great teachers but it's not enought! The curriculum is ok but not the way it's taught.

The "disgruntled parent" that posted on May 23, 2012 is not alone. We've found the teachers at the school "uninterested" regarding parent concerns, such as the fair treatment of students in disciplinary situations, student academic assessments, and even academic curriculum concerns. I asked a number of PTSA officers if any of those concerns can be addressed, and the overwhelming response was that the Principal of the school was apathetic toward teacher concerns. When we realized that there was a "trickle-down effect" going on, we promptly withdrew our son from the school and enrolled him in another private Catholic School the following year. Friends whose children still attend the school have told me that the declining enrollment, as well as the teachers' frustrations with the school's administration, has finally caught the attention of the Parish School Board. Hopefully things improve.

Brought our child in for Kindergarten - he had a difficult time, but we managed. The teacher hinted at medication ( a Teacher AND a Doctor!) We took him for an assesssment to determine if there were neuro isues - it was "too soon to tell". We continued on to frst grade (without the ritalin, thank you) , but OMGoodness - my son's teacher was 75 years old, brought out of retirement, impossible for my son to understand when she talked (yes, he has problems). But.. she wouldn't work with us, held all students to the same standard because ... I don't know, maybe all children are alike? She wouldn't even let us take school books out of the classroom so we could help my son study at home (books were TOO expensive to trust with a parent). The experience would have been forgettable, but we had one particularly odd experience with the Scholastic Book Sales - centered on ethics,or lack thereof on the part of the staff. Needless to say, I am a disgruntled parent, and probably the only one with a negative experience that made me want to leave (whcih we did). Other kids/parents were quite happy there, I can only hope your experience is more enjoyable.

A high proportion of their grads get into Kamehameha, Punahou, and I'olani.

Last modified St John Vianney Parish School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8