Posted August 02, 2014
Neither the parish nor the school has a strategic plan resulting in disjointed curriculum, taught by underpaid faculty operating in dilapidated facilities. The school administration happily operates in the absence of school governance, rewarding themselves with handsome salaries, and refusing to respond to legitimate, constructive parental criticism. I urge any parent considering enrolling their children to carefully consider whether the school s marketing effort featuring their internet / ipad focus and cursory February 2011 accreditation review outweighs the weak, uncoordinated curriculum, playgrounds in dismal repair, hot classrooms and dinghy bathrooms, an out of date library, and a physical education program whose disengaged instructor reflects the inadequate facilities. In summary, the profound leadership problems gravely affect learning and do not justify the tuition.

Posted August 02, 2014
St. Anthony School is weak on weak on education, very weak on Catholic identity, yet strong in marketing itself. Regrettably, this institution exists to exist; the school administrators real job is job retention, not to educate and develop children. As a retired military family who came to Hawaii on active duty, I caution my military brothers and sisters to carefully do their homework prior to making the same mistake we did enrolling here. Through our 7 years at the school, accumulating 22 student-years among our 5 students, with 5 years of service on the School Board, we have observed that the military community sustains the school, paying full tuition and enabling island nepotism at its worst. The typical military family does not stay long enough to fully appreciate the dysfunctional nature of the school prior to rotation. The school s sponsor, St. Anthony s Parish, has little interest in the school, providing no oversight or guidance and no financial support. Continued below.

Posted July 02, 2013
As a parent who has had two children graduate from this school, I can honestly recommend sending your children here. The current administration is really pushing the school toward the future and adjusting the school's teaching style according to our ever changing society. I love the teachers and my kids love to visit, and only have good things to say about St. Anthonys. They both got into great high schools and have been doing very well. I totally recommend anyone to send their kids here. It is a very nurturing and loving environment.

Posted September 01, 2012
This past year I graduated from St. Anthony's.I attended for 2 years and was less than impressed.In fact, I became so stressed and upset about having to return there after 7th gr that I spiraled into a depression.I felt like I wasn't learning and the kids there were too sheltered. In 7th grade I was pre alg in math so I had to do independent study until the day an accredidation commitee came and they put me downstairs with the librarian.No coincidence there or anything!In 8th grade I had a teacher but I had a shared class!Really, I only had half a period of math everyday.Oddly enough, even though I only got a half a period I probably learned the most out of any class.I really did feel like I was wasting my time going to school everyday.As middle schoolers, we were forced to do the same stuff as the little kids taking away from education time. I come from a christian famiy and after attending religion class I can tell you that i never want to have any part of christianity as an adult.The hipocrisy displayed by the teacher was overwhelming.She also didn't have any viable knowledge to back up what she was teaching us."Because it's tradition" is what she'd say. Don't send your child.

Posted August 03, 2012
My 5 year old recently completed summer school here. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. He went from not knowing which hand to write with to tracing his own name with his right hand while holding the pencil correctly. I couldn't get him to do it with me for months and he got it in 6 weeks. The staff is so friendly and it feels like a family there. My son was in the ELC program and felt so comfortable in their environment. For summer school they mixed 3, 4 & 5 year olds but all the children worked well together. The ELC has a beautiful playground complete with a clean sandy bottom, slide, little tree house and jungle gym. Inside they have tons of excellent manipulatives and toys as well as a train table which is my son's favorite. The children had water play every Friday and walked to the local public library once a week. This is a Catholic school so the children also learned lots of prayers. My son picked them up quite easily and he still says them even today. He even told me that he knew all the sounds of the letter A, and he did. I am so impressed and every day was so worth it knowing how much he learned in such a short time. A+++ St. Anthony's!

Posted June 05, 2012
As a military child, I have been enrolled in many wonderful schools, but St. Anthony;s is by far the worst I have ever been to. Not only does it lack appropriate teachers for those students more advanced, but it also does not help those students who are falling behind. The religion program was also very disappointing and made me very upset everyday. Students who attend a Catholic school should not doubt their Catholic faith because of the religion class. This private school was not worth the money, sedn your child to a different one.

Posted May 04, 2012
We have been so happy with the elementary part of this school. I love how teaching is done outside of the box with hands on experiments, guest speakers and wonderful parental support. We came from a public Hawaii school in Kailua that didn't have music, art, Spanish... Sas offers all this with skilled professionals and fab computer center as well! We are military and my child has attended many schools. This is by far our favorite!

St. Anthony Parish School 4

Posted November 06, 2011
Most of St Anthony's teachers are the reason the school continues to attract students. Other teachers need to be replaced. All of this is due to lack of leadership by the two Administration personnel. They care more about perception and protecting their job than the school. Class sizes have ballooned from 17 to 22 in three years. In the past year, they have shuffled bad teachers to other positions rather than removing them from the school. They have created useless middle school writing classes, with no structure or purpose. Lastly they have lowered their acceptance standards, accepting students who will struggle and sometimes disrupt the learning process with bad behavior. It is a sad state of affairs. The core problem is the administration, who must be removed. The school needs someone with vision and leadership. This will be the last year that I will keep my children at the school. I believed things would get better, but it is more of the same from the administration.

Posted June 17, 2011
As a parent to 3 students at SAS, I couldn't be more pleased with the school. The teachers are top notch, the curriculum is challenging, yet comparable to what is being taught on the east coast, and most importantly, it provides a Christian atmosphere- truly embracing the "Ohana Ideal." We have no reservations or worries concerning how well our children will transition upon our inevitable return to mainland schools. Contrary to other recent reviews, we have found the Early Learning Center (ELC) to be the highlight of our time at Saint Anthony's. The teachers are loving and provide developmentally appropriate instruction.

St. Anthony Parish School 3

Posted May 31, 2011
The Administration lacks vision. The ELC which was a gem has deteriorated to become a daycare. In 2010 this was a highly regarded school. Most teachers are excellent. The schools Administration continues to run excellent teachers out of the classroom due to the lack of leadership. Unfortunately I must say that St. Anthony s has a terrible administration. I can no longer say that the ELC is a place that I would send my children, or recommend it to anyone else.

St. Anthony Parish School
148 Makawao Street, Kailua, HI  96734
Last modified St. Anthony Parish School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Anthony Parish School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top