Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The reason for the two stars is that I have a few children that require an IEP and the school does so little for kids with special needs. The school raises so much money but I don't see much going into the Special Ed program. They do the bare minimum and I have had to fight so hard to get what my children deserve. Please don't waste your time. This school is okay for typical children. The school talks a good game about their art and music classes I have yet to see one art painting or project come home and we are in the 4th quarter. Music for the younger children? I believe the teacher has a hard time with classroom management.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Absolutely no help with special needs or students that are struggling.

Aikahi Elementary school is everything you'd want from an elementary school. We are lucky to have our son enrolled here. Great leadership, great parent involvement, outstanding teachers, focus on teaching the whole child, art, music, stem lab, and lots of after school enrichment.

The school has a new principal this year by the name of Mr. Fraser. He is a breath of fresh air. A natural leader who has a clear vision of where he would like to take the school. It appears that the faculty and staff are on board with the schools new leader. He is assessable to parents and students, and you may even see him playing a game of kickball with the students at recess.

Postitives: 1. Super involved parent community 2. Strong curriculum in reading and math (see annual scores; also, my 1st grader is writing at a high level already) 3. Higher grades' opportunities for special interests (school music, plays) 4. Gifted programs (including English for 3rd grade and up, and 7th grade math offered to 6th graders who qualify) 5. Concerned teachers who care about our kids and are really trying their best 6. Best playground in the whole state of Hawaii 7. Accepting of diversity and military kids 8. Music Program for all grades paid for by the PTA 9. Fun Nutrition and Gardening classes for all grades through the Aina In Schools program 10. Emphasis on Respect, Responsibility, Relationships, Resourcefulness and Resiliency (the 5 Rs, talked about a lot) Weaknesses: 1. I have several friends who have needed and IEP for their kids. From what I understand, this is a problem throughout Hawaii and is not specific to Aikahi as the budget for these is through DOE. 2. They have computer classes but do not teach typing.

This school is much better when compared to my child's previous school, however the SSC leaves a lot to be desired. She is very confrontational and belittles most of what the parents and other professionals say. I have left every meeting feeling like my child was put on the back burner for another month or 2 while they "gather more information". If your child has special needs and you don't already have an established 504 or IEP, you may want to consider your options elsewhere or prepare for a year long battle. My child had a 504 at our last school on the mainland and there was not this much difficulty. The SSC was actually helpful and tried to accommodate in every way possible for our child. Not the case here. I am giving them 2 stars based on the difficulties we have had with the SSC. Anyone with a special needs child understands how important this is & is heavily considered when choosing a school.

Lot of hype. No substance. It looks like the school staff has been posting positive reviews to offset the actual reviews. Doesn't surprise me much. These are not the people you want educating your children.

Aikahi is an outstanding school. My daughter is challenged and enjoys going to school. The teachers are inspiring and knowledgeable! The administration team is friendly and supportive. One of the best schools is Hawaii!

We are military family whose kids attended kindergarten. So military friendly and very understanding to the kids who have parents deployed or have frequent travel. Mrs. Hansen was an amazing teacher for my kids. We since moved to the mainland and they were either at or above reading and math levels as the other kids in their school. Very positive Hawaii public school experience!

The teachers continually tell me that my children are not their responsibility. They have no safety concerns whatsoever. They have first year teachers who are not informed about safety and procedure. One teacher said this exactly: "I checked with the office and they said I don't have to know where your child is when they leave my room". Do not send your children to this school until these teachers are better trained and take accountability for the safety of the children. I'm disgusted that any school would openly admit that they don't care what happens to your children.

Last modified Aikahi Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.