PK-5 & Ungraded
Kailua-Kona, HI

Posted September 13, 2014
I moved to the Kailua Kona in July 2014 from the Bay Area in California, where my children were enrolled at John Green Elementary in Dublin, CA for three years. Their previous school had a 10 rating in 'Great Schools', and achieved an API score of 961. Therefore, I had my apprehensions and predispositions of Kahakai Elementary. However, I am thoroughly surprised with Kahakai. The physical infrastructure of Kahakai is cleaner, better maintained, and bigger than John Green. In addition, the Office Staff is friendlier, extremely supportive, and caring. The Office Staff at John Green were quite rude and inattentive. The Vice Principals and Principal at Kahakai, personally helped me with administrative issues to help my transition easier. Most importantly, Kahakai teachers are better equipped, stricter, and don't require the assistance of parents for classwork, homework, and special projects. My anxieties were artificial, and my bias of Hawaiian schools were wrong. Take it from a parent who moved from an affluent neighborhood of Dublin with highly rated schools; Kahakai is a great school, and we prefer to have our boys attend their elementary years here; as opposed, to John Green.

Posted August 18, 2014
Excellent school!! Principal is progressive and students are positively encouraged. Each student is provided with tools such as individual laptops. Advanced learning beyond grade level is available for exceptional students.

Posted July 29, 2014
My daughter is a student at Kahakai Elementary and I am so pleased with the overall curriculum. The teachers and staff are very good about keeping parents up to date on things. I really appreciate their communication whether it's reminders of classroom events, school events or balances on accounts. I am pleased with the security and safety this school provides. I rated it only four stars because of the am and pm carousel of traffic and the not so ample parking.

Posted August 28, 2013
Kahakai elementary was quite enjoyed by my daughter, who was in "senior" kindergarten. There was a nice sense of camaraderie with parents, and the educational material worked well with her. The missing 5th star is due only to the long carousel of cars before and after school to drop off and retrieve our children!! (ugh...)

Posted July 13, 2013
Just moved here from Mainland in April. We thought my child would be ahead of curriculum here after reading so many dismal comments about this school and the test scores... I was pleasantly surprised to find that she was behind! I feel Kahakai is an excellent school and the office staff are wonderful! My children attended the summer school program as well and it was a wonderful experience. We look forward to returning in the fall.

Posted May 31, 2013
My son attended this school from Jr. Kindergarten till 5th grade and we absolutely LOVE it. The teachers and entire staff are amazing. Watching him graduate and having to leave was very emotional, as this really is a family oriented school. Luckily we have another child who will still be attending. I am so happy that we chose Kahakai Elementary as our son's primary school.

Posted February 28, 2012
I think Kahakai is a great school. There are fun and educational after school programs. My son who attends fourth grade is the youngest of my three. Between the three we have experienced 2 other west side elementary Schools including Holualoa, and Kahakai is by far the best. As a matter fact we live in Holualoa district...

Kahakai Elementary School 1

Posted April 17, 2011
I attended here back in the day, and I sincerely hope things have changed since then. I was identified as "gifted", and pulled out of class to take part in a gifted program. The program consisted of nothing but putting us in front of computers to play games for an hour or two. I'm thinking the goal was really to stunt our development so they could just throw us back into the regular classes. Time spent in class was with some witch of a teacher who seemed to despise me because I was 1) new mid-year, and 2) haole. Such a waste. Luckily we moved to a better school nearby soon after, and I caught up quickly from those wasted years...

Posted March 25, 2011
Great, very supportive and involved principal. She ensures after school programs for the school. Also, active presence of VPs. Teachers keep you posted on how your child is doing.

Posted February 07, 2009
Kahakai has a very good line-up of after-school programs (my son is signed up for arts, kids fit club, & karate, for this term). Teachers are involved with the students learning process. (Mrs. DeGuair is a great new teacher). Safety & a no bullying environment is emphasized & parent involvement is encouraged (& of course is a key to student's success).

Kahakai Elementary School
76147 Royal Poinciana Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI  96740
Last modified Kahakai Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kahakai Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top