Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

Unfortunately, I cannot answer the question at this time because that is what I am dealing with right now. My grandchild is being bullied but because there are a bunch of girls against her, she becomes the minority. She is the silent minority and I am the only one who hears her.

Develops character: Agree

It develops everything you listed but it is still up to the child to respect others as they will respect you.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

As with other schools some teachers are more effective than others but overall they have good teachers.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

They follow the common core and other methods that help keep my child thinking all the time.

This school is GREAT and the staff is wonderful. They bring out the best in your child!!

All I have to say is that W.H.E.A is simply amazing. Although we transitioned to a new campus (I prefer the old one), we still focus on PBS (Project Based Learning). Yes, we might still be outside and have to help clean up after ourselves but that's good because for one, we get fresh air and can feel comfortable, two, we learn responsibility. At our school, responsibility is key. Not just being responsible for cleaning up after yourself, but also for your work, grades, everything you can think of. I have been at W.H.E.A for two years now, but have known about this school for six! This is because my oldest brother was in their first 6th grade class. The teachers here are fantastic and can always make us laugh with their jokes and good sense of humor! We also get to help our community by volunteering and by raising money for a good cause! Actually, tomorrow is 2014's Iron Man and we can still help out by giving out samples and passing runner's their bags (that is, if they have one). I would definitely recommend this school to others! In all, I think West Hawaii Explorations Academy is the best school I have been to and will keep going to! I definitely think W.H.E.A deserves 5 stars

I am a former graduate of WHEA in 2006. I attended for my senior year which I regret entirely, let me explain: 1.) The dropout rate of this school is unbelievable, a TOTAL of 7 students graduated in my 06 class. Most students end up getting their GED after leaving this school, because they do not want to repeat an extra semester in order to graduate after transferring to a regular HS. 2.)They do not offer any kind of Prom or dance for Seniors, or anything special for the older students. They definitely cater more to the younger grades. 3.) The small school politics have a double standard, you are either categorized as a student likely to succeed or drop out, there is no in between. If one teacher does not like you or your group of friends, they will label you and your friends as "likely dropouts", this is not a joke! My advisory teacher had some kind of personal problem with me, and I had to get my parents involved to force them to switch me with a different advisory teacher. I was not allowed to work on certain projects because they said I was not a returning student, even though I was a senior. I was upset by the fact they were not willing to even consider making an exception.

My son goes to whea. Its a average school, what's special about it, is their more hands on. This school is like a small college, teachers are just there to help when students ask. If your a self directed learner this school is for you, but if as a parent if you have to tell your child to do their homework then this school will be very hard for them. What I didn't like was the lack of communication the teachers and staff have with parents. My child would get in trouble and they expected him to come home and tell me, what child tells on themselves? Plus the dress code is never followed I see girls in way to short of shorts, skirts and dresses. Bras straps showing, low cut shirts. Plus at the begging of the year I was told if your child ever does het suspended, they have a working suspension. Which is not true they just send them home without any extra homework. This school has the potential to be a great school if the staff pull it together, but its just average.

I graduated from WHEA in 2009 after attending for all four years of high school. This was after having attended Kealakehe Intermediate School for grades 6-8. It was quite the culture shock. (I suffered severely at Kealakehe.) WHEA is not perfect; no school is. That being said, it did provide me with countless opportunities to grow both academically and as a person. And it DEFINITELY prepared me for the intense workload at a University. I was able to slowly come out of my shell, take charge of projects, win awards for both my HSAT scores and public speaking in science at the state level, and learn as much as I wanted to learn. But that's the key to succeeding at this school. You (or your child) has to WANT to learn or to explore. Some students adapt like I did and thrive, others do better in a system that tells them what to do and how to do it. WHEA is not for everyone, and not everyone at WHEA should be at WHEA. But if you (or your child) have the drive it can set you up for great things. I am a concurrent degree candidate at UH Manoa in journalism and env. science, honors student, former Washington D.C. intern, public speaking award recipient, and member of two honor societies.

Reading Proficiency is #2 among all Hawaii public high schools. Math proficiency is consistently above the state average. 2010 College SAT scores: 122 points above average for Critical Reading 44 points above average for Math 99 points above average for Writing. Congratulations and well done, WHEA students!

Last modified West Hawaii Explorations Academy - Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.