Bad
Good

Kealakehe Elementary is the center of our school community. It is one of the largest school in the state, offering a wide range of programs to fit all the needs of every student.

The teachers care about each and every student. There are structures in place to support the needs of all learners. The school offers a variety of after school support programs and enrichment.

Teachers, staff and administrators at our school are positive, upbeat and care about our students. In spite of the demands of common core and new requirements our teachers still put students education fist! :) I'm proud to teach with these wonderful people and to have such excellent students and parents.

I am honored to have my children attend this school. Staff is honest, compassionate, intelligent, and heroic. It is a large school that feels like a small, intimate when within its classroom walls. The principal - a mainstay for over a decade - leads with integrity and patience. One of my dear friends said it best when she described it: "a hidden diamond."

This is such a great school. This is my 6th year teaching there and I cannot imagine teaching any where else. We have a supportive admin and hard working teachers who love to teach and love their students.

Don't judge a book by its cover! Look inside to see what a true gem this school really is!!! We are big, we are powerful and we make a positive difference everyday with every child.

I taught at Kealakehe for three years when I moved to Kona, and I still substitute regularly now that I've retired. The reason I worked there, after retiring from 28 years teaching in California, was the dedication and quality of the teachers. Even under restructuring, their focus was the whole child. It is a very difficult, low-income neighborhood, but problems on campus are minimized by the counselors and other staff members who let each child know that he or she is cared for. Expectations are high, and those children who have talents in particular areas are given opportunities to excel. Special services staff work hard to keep up with the immigrant population and those who need differentiated instruction beyond the regular classroom. Opportunities abound for parental involvement, but few are able to take advantage of them due to financial stresses. Teachers stay current with support from Literacy Coaches and Math Coaches.

Teachers at Kealakehe were ALWAYS great, caring & wonderful for my child. Always challenged him and promoted a great classroom atmosphere. Administrative staff, front office and Principal NEED WORK -- VERY disorganized, no 'Aloha', disrespectful and terrible to deal with. If only the staff could learn from the Teachers @ Kealakehe Elem.

Very disorganized office situation. Not very security conscious or even aware of where the kids are. My kids state test grades showed a dramatic decline after 2 years. Pulled my kids out, and now homeschool.

My child's teacher is extremely organized and effective. They have been learning amazing things in Science, Literature and Math all year long. I spend time volunteering in the school and from what I see, this type of structure is the norm. My child's writing exceeds that of her peers at the private school!

Last modified Kealakehe Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.