Bad
Good

I am a 7th grader at Kapaa Middle School. I am writing this review because of how my school is. For myself this school is below me,there is nothing to challenge me, I'm in honors,Gifted and talented,avid,ext. All those harder classes and I still finish all my work two days before the rest of the class. Im not bragging how smart I am It's just for those kids like me, they want more. And all the stuff that happens here,fights,a kid brought an E-cig, throwing glass bottles in the bathroom! Seriously we're these kids raised in barns!? And the teachers,some of them just don't care about us and our education. One day when I turned in a 5 paragraph essay the same day my teacher who's a good friend, assigned it to us, she told me that I should really look for a new school to go to because,this school will not prove to be a challenge (In a nice way). I'm not writing this to go off at the school, I just wanted to get this out there. A.

I like what Kapaa Middle school is offering, their computer/media classes are great! Teachers at Kapaa are also great! I volunteer at the school and can definitely see the improvements to the school. I have a 7th grader at Kapaa Middle and my 11 grader also went to Kapaa middle with no problems. They have a great honors program for students at Kapaa and I just found out the Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle school has done away with their honors program.

I have heard that the principal may finally be removed from his position and fail up to the district office where he may do less damage to the teachers and children of Hawaii

Just received this email and read the current review. Yeah, I would agree the incompetence goes all the way to the top. I have heard there is movement afoot to get rid of Mr. Awohi, the principal. I have even received emails from others who would like to keep him in his position. This person is very reputable and I trust her judgement. So it sounds like a couple of people are making things bad at the school. This is not uncommon in any workplace. It would seem that the administration at the school and Arakaki should do their job and work to remove these people from the school. May I suggest a transfer to the district office in Lihue. That place is where it all starts and should end.

We are moving to Kauai in the fall, and have been researching Middle Schools over there. (Our son will be a 7th grader in the fall) I'm really worried about the Test scores being so low?! We are coming from Colorado, and current middle school scores are in the 90th percentile in both Reading and Math, compared to Kapa'a's scores of 53 and 39%! ! Should I consider private schools? Why do you think they test so poorly here??

Kapaa Middle School has been struggling with many challenges relating to individual concerns of a few parents and staff members. Considering the history of the school and all that it's gone through, the current Administration and Leadership Team has been doing an exceptional job at moving the school forward, improving student performance, and bettering the overall culture of the school.

I wonder why this school has a principal that has absolutely no interaction with his students! My daughter has often complained to me that he ignores her whenever she greets him w/ a friendly 'good morning'.. she says that he is hardly ever out of his office and has 'a very mean face'.

It has the best chorus program in the state of hawaii and it teaches the first A.V.I.D program in the state also

Kapaa Middle has such great potential to be an outstanding school. They have areas of excellence and then they have areas that are just horrible. They have a handful of teachers that are well rounded and willing to go the extra distance for the students whatever the child's background. There is not enough parent to school communication and the Principal and VPs need better leadership development skills or perhaps DOE needs to replace them with persons with the kind of skills to get the school out of restructuring and running as a quality school not a 'just getting by' school.

We just moved to Kauai from California. When my child first went to Kapaa Middle School she was met by her Counselor. I was happy to see the Counselor was a man. Most of the Counselors I have seen are women. I was interested to hear more from my daughter. When my daughter came home she told me the Counselor showed her around the school, introduced her to all her teachers and really made her feel comfortable. Over the past months I have heard many things about Kapaa Middle School. My daughter seems to like the school but tells me her classes have too many kids that act up in class for her to really learn.

Last modified Kapaa Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.