Bad
Good

Makakilo Elementary School 2

Posted May 14, 2015
My children were both enrolled here. While there is a anti bullying policy this doesn't prevent teachers from taking their issues out on their students. My daughter told me her fifth grade teacher called a student a cunt. A year later my son was not given a homework sheet and asked the teacher to give him a new sheet so her could do it. The teacher made my son who had a fractured ankle stand in front of class berating him. When I spoke to the principal, he asked why my child never said anything. My son said that he didn't feel safe to say anything. I've written the DOE but this teacher is still there. Education wise... The school is behind. The things my fifth grader is learning was the things he learned in third grade in Honolulu.

Makakilo Elementary School 5

Posted September 20, 2012
great school for kids, I think the teachers genuinely enjoy educating their students. I believe they take the time to identify each kids strengths and weaknesses and try to convey their finding with the child's parents. I had expressd my concerns for my child's speech development and that day I had a meeting with a special needs teacher and she developed a plan of action which really impressed me. My children have progressed well at Makakilo and would recommend this school to anyone.

Makakilo Elementary School 1

Posted March 14, 2011
I asked to sit in class to see what my child was doing that was causing her to get poor grades. Was she playing around? not paying attention? or distracted which most children are. The fourth time I asked if I could sit in and observe her they set up a meeting with me to have her checked for ADHD. "Alright" I said but I would like to sit in class with her before I make her take any pill. The first time I met with her teacher I was told my child had difficulty in writing her spelling words down. I then asked my child to show me where the spelling words are posted. she did not know where they were. Something simple yet this was not noticed by the teacher!!? Had she not shown me I would have never guest where amungst the clutter these spelling words were. She never had a problem with that afterwards. The kids are always going home with each others homework which the parents have to sign and how effective is it to have 4th grd. children correct each others work they always mark things wrong when its correct.

Makakilo Elementary School 1

Posted July 09, 2010
They want me to consider ADHD meds for my 6 year old! Ridiculous!! The classes are small compared to most in the nation, and yet the teacher had trouble maintaining control, and this was blamed on my child. If I had a choice, we would not send our child to Makakilo Elementary this coming school year. It's safe, but they could do better relating to and disciplining their students.

Makakilo Elementary School 5

Posted May 28, 2009
Close to home. Son enjoys the Teachers and Staff.

Makakilo Elementary School 4

Posted April 01, 2008
It's the best school. Based on my daughter's experienced she learned a lot and as a kindergarten students she's not a failure because she has a very good teacher. She earned a lot of encouragement in study, and she value everything what she does. Now she's a first grader she gain a lot of knowledge and they watching who's improving and who needs help. I'm proud of this school because my daughter learning is not a failure it brings success.

Makakilo Elementary School 2

Posted May 24, 2004
The quality of teaching at this school is very questionable. They encourage parents to volunteer, however, they do not want the parents involved in the classroom. Teachers don't really work with the parents. Principal is new, as a result, he seems afraid to make decisions that questions the teachers ability to teach.

Makakilo Elementary School 4

Posted February 18, 2004
This school works hard with the parents, and is especially pro-active for children with IEPs.

Makakilo Elementary School
92675 Anipeahi St, Kapolei, HI  96707
Last modified Makakilo Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.