Kapolei High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2054 students

Posted June 4, 2007

My son goes to Kapolei High School and though the campus is nice, the teachers seen to either be waiting for retirement or being fired because the level and quality of education they offer is ridiculous. Over the years I have written noes to the teachers to set up a meeting and very seldom do I even get a response. It is a wonder most of the Hawaii schools are allowed to operate because they certainly are not preparing our children for college.

Posted May 3, 2007

We moved into the area from a top-notch public school in another state. It's a world of difference here, folks. My 10th grade daughter has been in school here for 7 months. She has yet to be assigned a single novel in English class. IMP math is a joke. She was doing the same work in 8th grade at a previous school. Yet 3 years of IMP are required before being allowed to take higher level courses. That doesn't bode well for kids wanting to enter college. Or for kids who will leave the area and attend school somewhere else. It seems silly to complain when DD is getting straight A's but I really wish she was getting an education as well! The teachers may be a motivated and dedicated group but it doesn't translate into success in the classroom.

Posted February 27, 2007

My son is a senior at KHS, and the school has let my son and many others down. The class sizes are way too big, teachers do not respond to parents' notes/emails, and most grading is done on a curve. We have spent a lot of money on private tutoring to help with the SAT - had we known the amount we were going to spend on tutoring, we would have enrolled him in a private school. Weekly fights with kids from neighboring schools are also a big distraction that take away from the learning process at KHS.

Posted November 16, 2006

The campus is brand new which is a great asset. Kapolei can concentrate on intstruction.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted August 15, 2006

I am on my fourth year at KHS,and while many other children enjoy the program, i do not like any of it at all. Many of the teachers now do not care as to what the children are learning, except of course if you know the right people then youll be able to get good classes. Otherwise, the infamous IMP program will keep you at the same math level as the Middle school for three years, unless of course you take extra math classes on the side. I was not informed that IMP wasnt good for college. In fact, when it was too late i found out that IMP is going to keep me out of a lot of colleges. I think that even though Campbell high school has no air conditioning, they do have work partaining to the curriculum most of the time and learn what they need to.

Posted April 11, 2006

Kapolei High School is one of the nicer schools in this state. It is still pretty new and the students have many blessings to count, especially considering all of the technology available to them. Although we have the tools the academic programs could be improved. Project Based Learning does prepare the kids for the future if they choose to persue a career working with others. Yet the choices for classes are narrow and the academys don't offer much of a selection. I feel that there aren't enough language courses offered and that music classes are really only open to students who have been in band before (this excluding the guitar classes and choir). Parents, I feel, should be getting more involved to help students see that the teachers aren't the only ones to blame, but their attitudes as well. KHS has some pretty gnarly teachers you have to admit. =]

Posted January 5, 2006

I am currently enrolled in my 4th year at KHS. Those other comments are pretty harsh, they have obviously never been to the other public high schools in the area. I would have to say that Kapolei is one of the better schools, you could say it is our appearance or whatever, but Kapolei is a safe school, with benefits being that is it new. The curriculum is interesting and also the way the choose to teach the curriculum. I like project-based learning a lot better than small homework assignments. PBL enables students to think outside of the box, instead of just recalling information, it helps us to learn new things and apply them. I will admit, some of the administration are a bit crude, it adds a bit of character, but they do the job correctly, teach what needs to be taught, and then some. Good for your money's worth.

Posted October 20, 2005

I believe Kapolei High School is a great school to attend environmentally. Classrooms included pod areas for student group learning, central a/c, visible view of all the teacher offices and the newest chairs and tables for students. KHS also has numerous clubs, activities and sports. However, academically, I don't think the school found a great foundation of academics. For example, math, when I attended college, I found that there were numerous graduates from KHS who scored low on their math placement test. It makes me wonder what IMP (Kapolei's math system) actually taught us. Don't get me wrong KHS IS a great school but they are still growing and finding it's foundation in education. I suggest you talk with a counselor and or an alumni to see if you want your child attending this school.

Posted July 26, 2005

I attended Kapolei High School when it's doors first opened, as a freshmen. Moving from an old public school into a new facility made me really appreciate the quality and effort put towards building a great foundation. The academics remained interesting until my last years. The academies were thirlling to be a part of. Upon being a part of several activities within the school, I gained not only friendships to last a lifetime but also qualities that only enriched my life so much more. There were always parents around us, which made it so much more eaiser for everyone to trust one another. I miss Kapolei High School dearly, it was the best school I've ever attending and I wouldnt change it for the world.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 3, 2005

My daughter started as a freshman and left in the middle of the year back to the Main Land. She is behind in her studies and she has had to take two extra classes just to catch up. She said that her classes were so easy there and she never had teachers teaching during class time and rooms were split in two (that's two different classes being taught at the same time). I would not recommend this school.

Posted June 29, 2005

This looks like a good school only from the outside. It's nice, new, fully A/C and technologically advanced. Admin is only interested in appearances. I'd rather have an ugly school with teachers who care.

Posted December 9, 2004

Its a pretty technologically advanced school, revolving around thw hole project-based learning concept. However,the school's overcrowding is steadily becoming a problem with a current enrollment of 2000+. We will be going onto multi-track within the next year or so.

Posted November 18, 2004

This is not the school I would choose for quality education. The focus on 'Project Based Learning' might prepare your children for a future career; however, it certainly doesn't provide him/her with the necessary tools to attend college in order to get started in a career. I strongly suggest that parents visit the classrooms before enrolling their children in this school. It's very chaotic, there aren't enough books, and there is a decided lack of discipline. More $$ have been spent on the football stadium and other constuctions, than learning materials. . . that itself should be a warning flag.

Posted August 10, 2003

I think that this is a great school and the community is great to, my kids love it and that whats mostly important.

Grade level

Biology I

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

482 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

482 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Source: Hawaii Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 31% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

915007 Kapolei Parkway