No rating

Island Pacific Academy

Private | PK-12 | 528 students

We teach core values, are IB, and strive to be a place where everyone is family.

Living in Kapolei

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $400,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,230.

Posted February 3, 2011

IPA has an extremely high teacher turnover rate. I found that the teachers were unqualified or lacked the commitment to the school. Many were military who just up and left. Some only hired based on their relationships to others on the faculty and staff. My children were given minimal homework, lacked basic writing skills and math skills. The school doesn't use text books. It lacks structure in it's academics. To much "out of the box" teaching.

Posted January 27, 2011

In my opinion, teachers & staff have made great effort in involving the parents in their child's education at IPA. I'm pleased with all the e-mail announcements and knowing what's going on even when I can't get involved as much as I'd like due to my work schedule. So I really appreciate the "head up" on everything by volunteer parents, staff, and the teachers who spend the time sending out the notices, etc.

Posted January 27, 2011

We are very pleased with IPA. We are now trying to get our other children enrolled. We have had 2 years to compare IPA Middle to Kapolei Middle, as we have a child in each. The level of commitment from the teachers, scope of learning, and general learning environment is far better at IPA. We highly reccomend this school.

Posted January 21, 2011

My children are in their second year at IPA, and I have finally found a school that we feel very comfortable with, after the public school system and one other small private school that ended up being too small for our needs. I'm very pleased with the facility, the equipment in the computer labs, science labs, and art rooms; the teachers are very decicated and the faculty will bend over backwards to meet the needs of parents and kids. This is the school that I would like to see my children finish all the way through to senior in High School.

Posted January 18, 2011

IPA is an exceptional school with caring teachers, challenging curriculum, and offers a sound alternative to the overwhelmed public school system in Kapolei or a long commute to the Honolulu private schools. Despite being less than six years old, it succeeded in obtaining full accreditation and is close to being the second Oahu school that will offer an International Baccalaureate curriculum. In its first graduating class (2011), every senior was accepted to at least 2-3 collleges/universities, a testament to the academic accomplishment, community service, and athletics at this ILH Division II School. Despite not having the large endowment and history of the large private schools, IPA has provided a safe haven for children who are serious about their education and parents who believe in their children. It doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" found at the larger schools but it has everything I want in a private school environment. And my child will be better for the experience.

Posted November 17, 2010

Though i am a former student, i really loved IPA. because it was a small school, the teachers were able to give more attention to individual students. I learned so much while i was there and kids there end up doing things far more advanced than what average public school kids their age learn. IPA is working hard to expand the school (at least that's what i think) and to give students more challenges. I go to public school now and i really miss IPA. The teachers were friendly and getting help was easy. The school provided a safe friendly environment that you can not find at any other schools. The school was like a big family. i recommend this school to all students who wish for school to be more fun, and for parents who want their students to achieve goals the students, or the parents themselves never would have imagined them to.

Posted April 20, 2010

I go to school at IPA in the middleschool and i think its a pretty good school. Theres one really bad thing about it we have this rule about PDA (public display of affection) were not allowed to hug or hold hands. I dont like the rule because i enjoy hugging. The truth is that us middleschoolers should be allowed to do this its nothing really so i hope they change it.

Posted April 13, 2010

I am a middle schooler here at IPA. The middle school is very hand-holding. We don't get much freedom here and it's really small. I'd like to get greater oppertunitys at somewhere much larger. Mabey around 150 students in the middle school, you just don't get the feel of a real middle school. The campus is limited and the middle school is all on one floor. A very tiny field, that we don't use for PE, we go to the Kapolei public park. Where we can't even use the bathroom and it takes time away to get to and from the park. We have no gym, no track, and no field which means most of our sports we have no home field and it's sad that something that costs' so much, is not worth it. Classes are okay, some.

Posted February 15, 2010

I am a high school student of the 2012 class of Island Pacific Academy and am proud to say that I am a part of this school. Our teachers not only teach us what they are required to teach us, but also try to help us to see things from different perspectives and with open minds, and always ask the question: Why? As for the students, though I cannot speak for everyone, a lot of them (especially in the upper classes) are very mature. I don;t look at them and see 16 through 18 year olds; most of the time I see adults in the bodies of 16 through 18 year olds. In their thinking, and through their actions I see the potential of future world leaders, politicians, artists because of how motivated and driven they are. I cannot say if they are like this because of IPA, but cont.

Posted January 14, 2010

I know what you mean by feeling horribal by that kind of treatment. My daughter had the same experience at IPA, she is an awsome girl, and IPA lost a great student for their bad behavior.

Posted August 3, 2009

My child just completed Pre-Kindergarten at Island Pacific Academy. It was such a wonderful experience. She grew so much, personally, socially, and academically this year, becoming overall a more confident learner. Before coming to IPA, my daughter had been enrolled at a preschool that was really more of just a daycare. I was so impressed with the curriculum in IPA's Pre-Kindergarten, it actually seemed more like a Junior Kindergarten program. The curriculum introduced my child to a phonics based spelling and reading program, handwriting, mathematics, art, music, science, social studies, and Hawaiian. My daughter is so excited and prepared for Kindergarten, thanks to IPA's wonderful Pre-Kindergarten program.

Posted May 25, 2009

Our 6th graders went for an overnight camp and the kids enjoyed themselves tremendously! Going to Europe?Eastcoast would be great, but places a huge financial burden on our families. I love my students!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 22, 2009

We've had children at IPA for 3 years now and see the school as a work in progress. The education available is average compared to other private schools in Hawaii, it's a very new school and lacks opportunities provided at other local private schools. The facility is small and grounds are minimal. No field or gym for sports and PE. Children cross a busy road to get to the Kapolei park for PE daily. P.E. at the park takes place very near sleeping homeless people daily, which is disconcerting. There's no big island trip for 4th graders, or 5th/ 6th grade camp. No middle school trips to D.C. or high school trips to europe, many of the activities that are standard among private schools in Hawaii. The staff is kid friendly and professional. It's convenient for the Leeward community. The tuition is high compared to comparable private schools.

Posted April 22, 2009

I am a middle school student here at IPA. I really enjoy coming to school everyday because I always feel safe and motivated to learn new things everyday. There are 16-20 students per class and 1 teacher. It may seem a lot in one class but, it really isn't and I think it is a good size of kids per classroom. I have been at IPA for 4 years and I think it progressed a lot eversince that 1st year I have been here at IPA till now.

Posted March 7, 2009

Our 3 children attend this school and we consider them extremely lucky to be afforded the quality education thet receive. We have 2 in elementary and 1 in middle school and they are all thriving academically. The Principals of both divisions are highly qualified to lead their divisions and are very supportive of the students and parent community. This school is definetely student-centered and dedicated to their mission of creating life-long learners. We highly recommend IPA to other families!

Posted October 19, 2008

We love IPA. Our son is in the 3rd grade and has been there since Pre-K. They have a diverse curriculum, including science, music, art, Spanish, Japanese, in addition to their regular class work. Class sizes are also small and average around 18.

Posted September 20, 2008

My son has been attending for two years now and I cannot think of any better school for him. The athletic program has become one of the finest in the ILH. His opportunities in Humanities, where History and English are combined, have been VERY challenging, and wonderful for critical thinking skills. The new Middle School music program has been great, the math, science and other classes have had consistent, caring teachers (no turnover since we've been there) and administration has been very accessable and creative. We love this school!

Posted September 19, 2008

I am a student who attends IPA. Having been here since the first year, I must honestly say that the first year was very comfortable. The elementary building comfortably accommodated everybody. From late 2005 to early 2008, the school experienced many growing pains, and the population exploded. Many times, I see many people getting away with things, and that's especially prevalent with students of faculty members. I strongly believe that this far, this year has gone by much more smoothly. The upper school has grown a lot, and with the freshmen moving in, it's been much more crowded. I noticed that many middle schoolers horse around and disrespect each other. Let's hope that the middle school teachers help to mature them, so when they move into the upper school, we won't have to deal with their obnoxiousness.

Posted August 21, 2008

As a parent and veteran of the British private school system as a child, I am very satisfied with the education our son has received at IPA. Granted, it is a new school located in a growing 'second city' but the school/classroom climate, teacher interest, and enforced student values (caring about each other, zero tolerance bullying, etc.) are positive influences that our son has thrived in. The achievement results of the students in national standardized tests and the outcomes of recent national accreditation visits reinforce the school's education value if the student applies him/herself.

Posted June 5, 2008

I would like to reposnd to the May 15th posting in which the parent writes about IPA's landscaping deficiencies. IPA s Facilities and Landscape Manager was recently awarded the Kapolei Outstanding Achievement (KOA) Award for his innovative use of Hawaiian native plants, including many species not usually seen in commercial landscaping. As a result of his efforts, our students have the opportunity to study native plants and help to cultivate them. Additionally, the native plants are drought hardy and therefore the campus is helping to conserve water, a precious commodity here in Hawaii. Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder, but I think most people at IPA understand the significance of our landscape plants. The place is really beautiful and the landscaping team at IPA does a great job. Thank you!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 34%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Japanese
Spanish
Tagalog
Hawaiian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Benjamin Feinstein
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (808) 674-3575

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Track
  • Volleyball
  • Water polo
  • Wrestling
  • bowling, air riflery, cheer
Girls sports
  • Track
  • Volleyball
  • Water polo
  • Wrestling
  • bowling, air riflery, cheer,

Arts & music

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
Summer college prep programs
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

909 Haumea Street