K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Our child just graduated from IPA. He was accepted into 10 great colleges. Several of the colleges provided merit scholarships up to $100,000. He has attended since the 1st grade and has received a first-rate education. He was very shy and introverted when he entered the school and today is not afraid giving presentations in front of large groups of adults and peers. His writing skills are excellent and has developed a global aspect of his place in the world. As a parent and graduate of one "large" private school's, the difference at IPA is the faculty and staff. Many of them are young, energetic, very competent, take immense interest in every child, and a passion for the students. They adjust their teaching style to reach every child. Sometimes my son would text or email at night with homework issue and they would respond immediately. After the 2008 great recession there was a period that IPA went through financial difficulty, however, this is in the past and fully resolved. The school is in a financially great place and will be there for generations as a center of excellent education on the west side. I would not hesitate to recommend IPA to anyone.

Great school. Great faculty, great teachers. They genuinely cares about our kids and they make sure that they get what they deserve. Best decision we have ever made to put our son in this school.

My child is happy in IPA, but some of the programs are just an embarrassment. This is especially so when we are paying such high tuition while many of the kids are on tuition assistance! So, its not enough that we forgo the "free" public school while we pay taxes, but we are also subsidizing other private school kids tuition! For example, the Hula program is terrible and the people are rude and unprofessional. The summer program is horrible and is really not at all up to private school standards. Its just a money maker for IPA to babysit kids for the summer. If I could bear the drive into town, I would certainly go that route.

This is an excellent school offering quality education. The teachers are wonderful. My child has received caring and individualized attention and is excelling in the demanding IB curriculum. True, there have been some change at the administrative level, but a lot of the "problems" have left the school, thankfully. We look forward to the new administration and another great school year.

The school provides a wonderful, top education. Our daughter has received an excellent education from grade 1 - 9 and has ranked extremely high on national test scores. She loves the IB program and looks forward to receiving her IB diploma and attending a top university! Great value for the money; individualized programs and attention; excellent teachers; wide range of course offerings in the upper school.

I do not usually post on forums like this but after seeing the negatives I felt i needed to speak up.I am a parent of 2 kids at IPA and am very pleased with the state of my children's education. Both are excelling both academically and socially.I had a problem with the past admin but the Board seems to have seen the issue and taken steps to correct. I read all of the comments and I believe the negative comments in my experience are not valid and the product of a disingenuous campaign to smear the school for personal reasons. Even in my most frustrating moment as an IPA parent I NEVER thought my kids education was anything but top notch and believe its getting better under the current administration. As with any online anonymous forum there is a tendency to see both very bad and very good ratings and few in the middle. I believe IPA deserves the Very Good but that's something you should decide for yourself not solely from an online posting that could be vindictive. Go visit and see for yourself. JMHO

The teachers and staff at this school work so hard and the students are amazing; however the administration at all levels have turned this school from a loving, caring, place to work and learn to a hostile environment. Sadly the parents don't have their eyes open to how badly the teachers are treated so they will be blindsided when they figure out how many amazing teachers are leaving the school. Over 20 highly qualified educators that love the students at ipa are leaving because the administration has created a hostile environment for them to work. The students will suffer, programs will suffer, all because the egos of the people on the administration team. For the students I hope they find qualified replacements for the teachers that have left or are leaving but if I were a parent, especially of a 6-12 student I would be worried!

At first we liked that IPA was lowering its tuition for 2014-15. By lowering the tuition costs the school is hoping to increase enrollment. Our concern is that by charging less tuition, IPA may have less tuition income to help cover the increasing costs of educating students, making it more difficult to provide a top notch educational program. With less tuition income, it will be more challenging to offer many things like competitive salaries to attract and retain great teachers, maintain state of the art facilities, offer strong academic, athletic and arts programs, professional development opportunities, & technology enhancements. In the case of education, cheaper is not always better.

Island Pacific Academy has changed my son in ways that I will never be able to repay. The international baccalaureate education is excellent, but the fact that he comes home from high school every day with a curious, caring, and mature worldview, and a desire to succeed and to make the world a better place...now that is priceless. Thank you, IPA!

I have read the other reviews and I really do not understand the angry/negative comments. This is our ninth year at IPA and both of our children attend the school. I could not be more grateful to have such a great school just 10 minutes from my home. My daughter is now a senior and was just accepted to a great university on the mainland. The director of admissions at the university told her that the International Baccalaureate gives applicants a significant advantage when applying for college. IPA is obviously teaching the students well academically in addition to teaching them to be good citizens. I would recommend that any family that is planning to place their children in private school in Hawaii, go to the IPA campus and have a tour. Then, wherever your children attend, get involved in the school community and make the effort to build relationships with the faculty and staff, not because you might receive special treatment or be a part of some perceived "clique", but because it is important to take an active and positive role in your children's education.

Last modified Island Pacific Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12