Makawao, HI

Seabury Hall School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 24, 2015
Uninspiring teachers who simply go through the motions. I realize it is hard to find quality educators in the islands but we are paying nearly 20k for our children to be treated like dogs. We are the customers and the teachers and administration seems to think that they have all the power!

Seabury Hall School 1

Posted May 24, 2015
For the last six years my children have attended Seabury Hall. I pulled my son out two years ago because we felt that the school was ill prepared to handle the needs of the average student. If you are not in the elite top of the class or the in the bottom you might as well be invisible. My husband (a well respected surgeon) and I felt that the high school might not be the best fit for our son who attended Seabury Hall for Middle School. We were talked into keeping him at Seabury during a Private Meeting with Headmaster Joseph Schmidt. Schmidt who proceeded to explain to us that he was a straight D student in High School and look what he had accomplished, then promised us that our son would be well taken care of and would succeed. Long story short our son struggled to get mediocre grades and as a result left Seabury with a horrible self image. Mean while our daughter was in sixth grade at Seabury and was doing well. She has now completed 8 th grade but had a very hard time due to our family's reputation after pulling her brother out. Our daughter finished 8th grade as the middle school president and a headmasters list student the entire three years however she was still treated horrible by the middle school principle Jaqueline Peterka and many of the teachers because our family complained about our son's experience. Bottom line if you have opinions about how your children should be educated or you question anything that the school does: grades, programs, awards, recognition ect., do not send your children to Seabury Hall! Especially if you are educated as the school administration is deeply threatened by doctors and other educated professionals. My husband has had countless physians tell him horror stories about their children's experiences at Seabury Hall. Joe Schmidt the sociopath is leaving in a week, let's hope that the new headmaster can change the school for the better. As it stands Seabury is like a beautiful woman with a hideous soul!

Seabury Hall School 2

Posted August 20, 2014
I didn't enjoy enrolling my son into this school. It cost me and my wife an arm and a leg and when he went there he was almost living In an imaginary world where everything was given out. When he graduated in 2007 he began to run into struggle because everything wasn't handed to him. We cut him off when he dropped out from a university in California. When he went to college he had an extremely hard time because in seabury everything was easy. He said he honestly had a harder time in the public school then he did at seabury. College prep school? Didn't do it's job. Very big waste of money. It's truly a spoiled school.

Posted April 17, 2014
Seabury Hall was the best choice on Maui for my two sons. The strong academic program, taught by caring teachers, provided my boys with an excellent foundation for collegiate success. The camaraderie, support and sense of 'ohana they experienced on the beautiful Upcountry campus has built life-long friendships. I highly recommend Seabury Hall to prospective students who are looking for a college prep education in a setting that encourages them to explore their individuality and passions.

Posted May 08, 2013
Seabury hall is a tight community and school spirit is everything. Academics will challenge you, and it is by far the best school on the island. The school gives you a great social experience as well as a solid foundation for college. Teachers are always their for you, but give you the space to develop into your own person. The students are encouraged to be who they are and are met with litte criticism from peers and adults. Overall this school will always accept you and will prepare you for college as well as giving you every opportunity to succeed.

Seabury Hall School 1

Posted June 25, 2012
Seabury Hall education is abysmal. Don't let the beautiful campus fool you. The staff portrays a false superiority and they are not at all sensitive to the needs of the students. They fail both academically and emotionally to meet the students needs. The students are not taught to think for themselves and there is no sense of community or care for each other. We kept our son in Seabury only because there are no choices on Maui for a college preparatory education, but if I had it to do over again I would leave the island at least for the high school years and let my child receive an education in which the students are taught to think for themselves with encouragement and a spirit of inquiry.

Posted November 19, 2010
SeaburyHall is expensive indeed, but if your child and you can make it through either high school or middle school at SeaburyHall it is well worth it.

Seabury Hall School 4

Posted July 12, 2009
Great middle school. outstanding 6th grade team. In the high school the advisement system is great. Both are very challenging, be reedy for a lot of homework, but preps a student well for college.

Posted May 28, 2009
Outstanding School, skilled teachers who care for the child, great college preparation, outstanding extra-curricular activities including the arts and athletics. this school is a tremendous bargain compaired to mainland tuition costs.

Posted March 25, 2009
I sent 3 children through this excellent. Expensive but they get a great education Ry Barbin Maui

Seabury Hall School