Mililani Ike Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded

Posted December 8, 2013

These teachers are sooooooooooooo MEAN to these children and its allowed because the scores are high. I've been told even from the school district that thats how it is now a days, that the teachers get paid by the test scores. But I dont know why they are allowed to pretty much BULLY these poor Elementary kids. Horrible teachers and Horrible Principal!!!! Worst school EVER!

Posted October 27, 2013

Ike is already into Common Core and with more intense homework and schoolwork than my wife and I had. Excellent school all around for our son.

Posted July 29, 2013

As a new parent at Mililani 'Ike and the community, I have been very pleased with the overall quality of education and performance at the school. Students are challenged to be "independent thinkers." My children have excelled because the school focuses not solely on academics but on the "whole child." There are many after school programs offered(robotics, choir, orchestra, track & field, etc) at the "elementary level" and is not possible without teachers and staff "volunteering" their time to provide these opportunities to the students. I see the hard work of the teachers and try to volunteer when I am off from work. I appreciate the reasonable cost of their A+ program (sponsored by the YMCA) which is the before/after school care program. Is the school perfect, no, but like everywhere you go, there are good and bad apples. Our overall experience has been positive and we feel very grateful to be in a school that believes in "continuously getting better" and focusing on "student" achievement.

Posted June 4, 2013

As grandparents, we are deeply thankful that three of our grandchildren attend Mililani Ike School. The principal, Steve Nakasato, leads with heart. His attention to student, teacher, and staff contributions/needs make Ike a special environment where children blossom and thrive. School assemblies and May Day celebrations pulse with school pride. Children express joy about being a part of their school; their commitments to demonstrating character benchmarks and performance excellence are amazing. Continued celebration and affirmation of partnerships with parents, grandparents, significant role models, and community supports the idea that "it takes a village to raise a child". Mililani Ike is a stellar example of how a Hawaii public school excels in spite of budgetary limitations, bureaucratic red tape, decreased resource availability, staffing challenges, and sometimes stifling national and/or state "guidelines". Mahalo, Principal Nakasato, Ike teachers, and staff for creating an educational experience that sets a solid foundation for the future success of its students.

Posted April 17, 2013

Racism toward non-asians in this school and community is not only tolerated, but condoned. My child's teacher has had weeks-worth of absences during the school year. The substitute teachers cannot adequately teach the class, yet the students are held to the standards of the primary teacher. Communication between the teacher and parents is non-existent. Notes to the teacher attached to report cards have been ignored. Instruction is poor, clearly defined expectations for assignments is poor, and Japanese as a foreign language is mandatory. Parent involvement is limited to "locals". If you are not of the proper ethnic background, expect your kids to have problems at this school.

Posted March 1, 2012

Test scores definitely are not the only thing that makes great students, which is why at 'Ike we believe in the motto, "We teach far more then we test, and we will not test what we have not taught." 'Ike offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to learn far beyond testing. Our teachers plan great parent nights, our librarian creates amazing book fair nights, and our students go on some of the best field trips that teach far beyond what we test. We also offer a wide variety of after school activities through our music and physical fitness departments, robotics, junior police officer program, and student council, to name a few. As for students sitting on hot cement, I'm sure most of us can pick on the excessive exaggeration. our students our directed outside after lunch for a maximum of 5 minutes before their lunch recess begins. It does get excessively loud in the cafeteria when students' noise levels get out of control, so as an incentive to lower their voices (not complete silence), students may earn 5 extra minutes of recess. But the incentive is not earned easily. And the pavement isn't hot...
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 29, 2012

This school stinks! Some of the teachers and counselors are clueless. How did they ever get their jobs? Test scores are not the only thing that make great students. Kids sit on the hot cement after school and not able to play because they were a little loud at lunch. You can voice your concerns but don't expect any good to happen from it. Administration is too busy, or your problem was not important enough for any results. Remember, these are human lives you are dealing with. Treat them with respect. So parents if you have concerns, voice them. That's the only way to get results. There, it's who you know and that the only way to get any action.

Posted September 14, 2010

Our family grows more impressed with Mililani Ike as each year passes. Parental involvment is at an all time high; the education received here is outstanding; and the school is well equiped with the means to give children the highest standard in education. The teachers care and are more than qualified. An emphasis is put on communication as well and that's important to us. My only complaint would be parking.

Posted April 23, 2010

My children have been at Mililani 'ike for several years. We love the school staff. 'Aunty' Val in the cafeand her staff make eveyone feel welcome and start the day off on a positive note. The Office ladies treat all of the children with the upmost respect and make sure all of them are looked after. For such a large school, I give the office staff kudos!!!! I've worked in a large school and there were 6 of us working in the office and we still played catch up all the time. I totally disagree with the previous reviews. Look at the whole picture, I would say there are over 800 students, 100 staff member and all of the parents that these workers take care of!!!! GOOD GRIEF! Have you noticed, those ladies even know students by name! The children are getting a wonderful education! Wonderful job!!!

Posted April 1, 2010

Private schools can be more selective about hiring experienced teachers. Considering that Ike has a mix of possibly less skilled teachers, it is doing very well. You must decide if your child is challenged by the academics. I've had to teach fourth grade math skills to my daughter. In 9th grade she took the SSAT, we found out that she was a year ahead in math, average in reading but below average in vocabulary. She was accepted at the private school b/c she applies herself and accepts challenges. However, not all my children are the same.

Posted March 29, 2010

We are not here long enough to express an opinion on the teachers and curriculum but I have to agree 100% with the previous review about the office staff.Every time I have to deal with them they make me feel not welcome.Cold as ice. Brrr!!

Posted October 27, 2009

Disappointed with the curriculum. My child has been there for Grade 2,3,4 and 5. One would think the transition to the next grade would be smooth being that there's no change of school. No...in Grade 4 he was expected to know multiplication and write cursive. Both were introduced at the later part of Grade 3 but never taught fully. My child started Grade 4 behind the expectations of the teacher. One would think the staff communicates with each other. My other complaint is the office staff at Mililani Ike...not cordial or helpful to parents who stop by. I've spoken with quite a few Moms and hear the same thing. Staff virtually avoids looking up from their desks or will talk to you without getting up. Very abrupt in communication. Whenever I leave the office the staff's mannerisms put me in such a foul mood. Disappointed!

Posted May 27, 2009

We have 3 kids attending Ike in K, 1st, and 4th grades. My oldest 2 had previously been in Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DODDS) while I was overseas. DODDS has an excellent reputation worldwide, with the test scores to back it up. I was (oddly enough) pleased when we got here last year and my son's 3rd grade teacher called us in during the first month of school to tell us how worried she was about how far behind he was! He was an honor student in DODDS!! With her help and constant feedback we got him caught up in no time. This is a great school. I am at a complete loss as to the earlier entry by a military family member. We love this community, and this school. The PTA, the faculty & staff.......all top notch!!

Posted August 14, 2008

My children are very happy at Mililani 'Ike. The teachers and staff are wonderful. They use many of the same books as other schools, but it is the staff that makes this school better than others. The teachers are so professional and soft spoken. It was quite the opposite at one of the military schools. I understand why people want to live in Mililani Mauka so bad. Mililani 'Ike feels like a private school but without the tuition. The atmospere on campus is very peaceful and positive. I don't feel that my children are being discriminated against because they are from the mainland. We are very happy here.

Posted June 8, 2008

I think this school is excellent! The school mission is to inspire high character, independence, and hard working ethics. Since all three of those items are part of everyday life at Ike, a higher level of education is achieved much easier than other schools. Look at all the negative reviews... do you see a trend? Parents with students who have learning disabilities are the people who rank the lowest. In my humble opinion, Ike isn t for all kids. Ike has high standards and kids who are behind the curve when they arrive will have a hard time catching up. Parents who complain and write negative reviews usually blame the school instead of the people who really need to be blamed (themselves). Kids who start at Ike in K or pre-K have the upper hand in succeeding since they are used to high standards from the start.

Posted June 2, 2008

As a parent of twin kindergarten students at 'Ike, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with how much and what my girls have learned this past year. They could not read or write when they started last August, now 9 months later, they can read and write paragraphs. Amazing! Most parents are involved and both my girls teachers communicate well and are open to phone calls, notes and emails.

Posted March 7, 2008

This is an awesome school. As a military officer I totally disagree with the other military review submitted. This school is equal or better than our school at Ft. Leavenworth, KS which was attended by mainly officer kids. One great thing about the school is that the teachers stay on for 2 years with each class. This means continuity for military kids. This school is top notch and was rated as the 3rd best public elementary school in HI.

Posted February 18, 2008

We are from the mainland and had our son in Ike for two years while living in Hawaii, and we thought it was outstanding. The campus is beautiful and brand new, and no doubt it seems to have attracted the best teachers. The parents are very involved, which I think is no coincidence since a lot of people seem to choose living in Mililani Mauka because of this school. But the proof for us really came when we moved back and found that our son was way ahead of his peers here in both reading and math (especially reading). Mililani Ike really pushed the students hard to achieve, and it showed. Five stars.

Posted February 11, 2008

I have been extremely pleased with 'Ike academically, with the teachers, and with the learning environment overall. I feel that my children are well taken care of while they are at the school. Much concern is taken by all of the adults at the school to ensure that the students follow the basic character traits that are reinforced by the school. I believe that the academic expectations are refreshingly high, although every school we have experienced in the past has had different ways of doing things, for better or worse, so it's always difficult to compare. But 'Ike has been my favorite school of many so far. The principal truly has every child's best interest at heart. The teachers we have had have been extremely dedicated and have gone the extra mile, even with the larger classroom count. The kids have recess, music, P.E., Japanese and Hawaiian studies.

Posted January 3, 2008

My child has been attending Mililani Ike for the past 3 years, his 1st grade teacher was awesome and really made the initiative to communicate and work with me in helping my son when he was having trouble with reading and he has made major inprovements since than with her help. I believe this school sets their standards to high, putting too much pressure on the students which makes it hard for them to understand what the're being taught. Overall Mililani Ike is a great school with great staff but a little over rated.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 65% 34%

• Instrumental music lessons

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Japanese
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

951330 Lehiwa Dr