PK-5 & Ungraded
Mililani, HI

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 12, 2015
My child attended a GenEd classroom and from that experience, ended up having a typical child look after him during the after-school program and the GenEd functions. This could be the school, the child's parent's or both.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 12, 2015
If the teachers/staff don't have integrity, I'm not sure how they could pass it to kids.

Mililani Ike Elementary School 3

Posted June 12, 2015
I should give them a one-star for education because that is what they are supposed to be doing, but I'm giving an "overall" assessment. My child has Autism and ADHD and is intellectually disabled, and he was in a self-contained special education classroom. The teacher-student ratio in his classroom was good; the community activities were good; the teachers were nice.... However... my child scored "well below" on everything.. he can't read, can't write, and they denied him summer school... why? Because it wasn't about "progress" but "retention" over the school breaks, so he didn't "qualify". They found every loophole they could find in order to deny my child extra services. (He's been here for 2 years now...) And now he's going to transition to Middle School next year. The "transition" meeting was worthless... Middle school said that they don't have the services to provide Quran a "safe" school environment, and needs the Elementary to start paperwork to get him the services. Ike Elementary teachers and staff were rolling their eyes and sighing and said, "oh, well it's too late, we only have three days left, so we can't do anything." (Mentally and emotionally my child functions at a 3-year old level, and he is small for his size.. he looks like he's 8 years old (and wears size 8 clothing)).. but he's going to be integrated in with the Middle Schoolers...). Safety and education (in my opinion) are the most important thing, but not to Ike Elementary. I don't think the teachers and staff are malicious, but maybe they have too much on their plate to give the kids what they need... Not sure. (?) The after-school program is worthless for Special Ed kids. The staff are young, understaffed and underpaid. Every now and then there'd be a few "nice" staff who would look out for him, but for the most part, not. They gave him snacks against his dietary restriction numerous times (although it's in the paperwork and I've told them several times not to). Another reason I gave them a 3-star rating instead of a 1-star is because my child loved it there. The teacher did have a reward system that motivated him to stay on track. There were a few GenEd kids who took care of him. A few staff here and there would see Quran and greet him. There are many there who have the "aloha" spirit. Education is nonexistent for SpEd kids at Ike Elementary .

Posted April 15, 2015
I have a 4th grader and a kindergartner attending this school. First of all, my children love coming to school and to me, that is the most important thing. We have had wonderful teachers such as Mrs Lee, Ms Terao, Mrs Fujimori, Mrs Powell and Mrs Matsumoto. The librarian Mrs Seatriz does a great job providing book fairs, creative family contests, Read Across America activities. The front office staff are very helpful. I see what these teachers have to go through and I really respect the hard work that they do. I think Mililani Ike is a great school!

Mililani Ike Elementary School 1

Posted December 08, 2013
These teachers are sooooooooooooo MEAN to these children and its allowed because the scores are high. I've been told even from the school district that thats how it is now a days, that the teachers get paid by the test scores. But I dont know why they are allowed to pretty much BULLY these poor Elementary kids. Horrible teachers and Horrible Principal!!!! Worst school EVER!

Posted October 27, 2013
Ike is already into Common Core and with more intense homework and schoolwork than my wife and I had. Excellent school all around for our son.

Posted July 29, 2013
As a new parent at Mililani 'Ike and the community, I have been very pleased with the overall quality of education and performance at the school. Students are challenged to be "independent thinkers." My children have excelled because the school focuses not solely on academics but on the "whole child." There are many after school programs offered(robotics, choir, orchestra, track & field, etc) at the "elementary level" and is not possible without teachers and staff "volunteering" their time to provide these opportunities to the students. I see the hard work of the teachers and try to volunteer when I am off from work. I appreciate the reasonable cost of their A+ program (sponsored by the YMCA) which is the before/after school care program. Is the school perfect, no, but like everywhere you go, there are good and bad apples. Our overall experience has been positive and we feel very grateful to be in a school that believes in "continuously getting better" and focusing on "student" achievement.

Posted June 04, 2013
As grandparents, we are deeply thankful that three of our grandchildren attend Mililani Ike School. The principal, Steve Nakasato, leads with heart. His attention to student, teacher, and staff contributions/needs make Ike a special environment where children blossom and thrive. School assemblies and May Day celebrations pulse with school pride. Children express joy about being a part of their school; their commitments to demonstrating character benchmarks and performance excellence are amazing. Continued celebration and affirmation of partnerships with parents, grandparents, significant role models, and community supports the idea that "it takes a village to raise a child". Mililani Ike is a stellar example of how a Hawaii public school excels in spite of budgetary limitations, bureaucratic red tape, decreased resource availability, staffing challenges, and sometimes stifling national and/or state "guidelines". Mahalo, Principal Nakasato, Ike teachers, and staff for creating an educational experience that sets a solid foundation for the future success of its students.

Mililani Ike Elementary School 2

Posted April 17, 2013
Racism toward non-asians in this school and community is not only tolerated, but condoned. My child's teacher has had weeks-worth of absences during the school year. The substitute teachers cannot adequately teach the class, yet the students are held to the standards of the primary teacher. Communication between the teacher and parents is non-existent. Notes to the teacher attached to report cards have been ignored. Instruction is poor, clearly defined expectations for assignments is poor, and Japanese as a foreign language is mandatory. Parent involvement is limited to "locals". If you are not of the proper ethnic background, expect your kids to have problems at this school.

Posted March 01, 2012
Test scores definitely are not the only thing that makes great students, which is why at 'Ike we believe in the motto, "We teach far more then we test, and we will not test what we have not taught." 'Ike offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to learn far beyond testing. Our teachers plan great parent nights, our librarian creates amazing book fair nights, and our students go on some of the best field trips that teach far beyond what we test. We also offer a wide variety of after school activities through our music and physical fitness departments, robotics, junior police officer program, and student council, to name a few. As for students sitting on hot cement, I'm sure most of us can pick on the excessive exaggeration. our students our directed outside after lunch for a maximum of 5 minutes before their lunch recess begins. It does get excessively loud in the cafeteria when students' noise levels get out of control, so as an incentive to lower their voices (not complete silence), students may earn 5 extra minutes of recess. But the incentive is not earned easily. And the pavement isn't hot...

951330 Lehiwa Dr, Mililani, HI  96789
Last modified Mililani Ike Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mililani Ike Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top