Mililani Mauka Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded

Posted June 4, 2014

As far as test scores go, this school is an excellent school. Unfortunately, they do not have- in general- nurturing teachers who support the emotional development of kids. There is a lot of competition between the teachers which creates a very regimented, harsh environment, and shame is a huge motivator at this school. My daughter has been there for only 1 year, but I have heard this from numerous parents. I am sure there are some exceptional teachers there, but the competitive environment wears even the best of them down. If your child is a very good student (mine is), they will do well here- although they will probably not receive the praise they are used to. If your student struggles, the extra support is there, but their self esteem may suffer significantly. Parents are also VERY involved.

Posted December 29, 2013

Excellent school. We've had a great experience here. Teacher, admin and everyone has been wonderful.

Posted October 23, 2013

People talk about these wonderful teachers that love their jobl? My children have had the meanest teachers that they've ever had their whole life, at this school. These teachers are rude, lacking communication with parents and are bitter.Overall Horrible environment!! Would take all three of them out if I could.

Posted August 1, 2013

The school is excellent!! The teachers definitely enjoy what they do.....they are so awesome and works so well with the kids!! The principal and VP can be a little personable and smile more but no biggie.....I'm just proud that my boys attend this school. :-)

Posted May 17, 2012

As a military family, we decided to live off post just so that our child could get a great education. Our expectations have been exceeded. Her teacher is great, and she seems to really love her job. Thanks to her help, my litte struggling reader is back on track. Office staff has always been professional, helpful, and just plain awesome. I would recommend this school to any family!

Posted November 30, 2011

Parents, your children are not there for the office staff. They are there for the education. While most people try to be friendly, it is not always possible. Some can be aloof, standoffish, or pre-occupied. Could they be nicer in the office Sure! However, be grateful that your children are receiving a great education from qualified teachers. In Hawaii, this is rare. So count your blessings!

Posted November 10, 2011

I don't know what the problem is. Don't know what you folks are talking about. Stop using this site as a place for your minor grudges! Focus on your childrens education!! There is two sides to a story. There is a handful who had a bad run in. But I bet you folks aren't as sweet as you folks pretend to be?? I'm here to to side with the office staff! Very organized, very helpful!! Very considerate.

Posted November 10, 2011

I have to agree with the parent below who supports the office staff. All the complaints come in spurts. One person for every spurt. Do you realize these ladies do over 200 new enrollments per year..that is only kindergarten alone!! Not counting the upper grade levels. I come from a school background. If the complaints are 4-5 to 800..you people need to check yourselves!!

Posted November 4, 2011

I completely agree with all the comments on the admin staff. They really do make you feel a bit uncomfortable. I have witnessed their rudeness to other parents and myself. I have heard many comments in regards to their attitude and hope that this site provides awareness as to where changes need to be made. In regards to academics this school is absolutely exceptional. My child has since graduated but I was very happy with her academic standing at this school and feel it has helped her succeed and continue to do exceptionally well in middle school.

Posted October 19, 2011

I thought I was the only parent that encountered the VERY UNFRIENDLY & VERY RUDE & UNHAPPY OFFICE STAFF!!! It's as if they HATE THIER JOBS!!! I myself have reported this to the district office!!! Besides that the teachers are excellent!!! TEACHERS 10+ OFFICE STAFF -0

Posted September 8, 2011

My son was a 2nd grader at this school for one month. I found the office staff to be rude and very condescending. We have never had this type of experience with a school and I was very surprised. I believe the quality of education is good, but the snobby office staff needs customer service training. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 2.

Posted July 22, 2011

Yes, I agree regarding office staff, as a parent myself, I would like to be able to walk into the office and feel invited and welcomed. Instead, I feel like I'm burdening\bothering them when I need to pick up my child's homework, or have a simple question. I shouldn't have to feel intimidated walking into my own child's schools office. I have been to other school's offices (in comparison) and it's completely opposite. I don't feel it's fair that nothing be done despite numerous complaints. If the school had a better office staff, I'd rate the school a perfect 10, but if staff stays an 8.

Posted July 22, 2011

Strongly agree about the office staff not being friendly or inviting. They work with children and some have their children at the school. They need to smile and love their job. I'm going to report them to the district office and hopefully we could get better staff in that office. Other than that teachers are awesome! Love this school!

Posted April 19, 2011

We are thinking about getting our child into this school, but your comment about keeping the special needs children "out of the way" struck a chord; that is how we felt with our child at Mililani Ike. The school is just getting a check in the block for compliance without moving toward mainstreaming children who have potential, but require more attention.

Posted April 3, 2011

We have been very impressed with this school. I believe my children have learned all they needed to prepare them for the next level.

Posted March 28, 2011

MMES is one of the best schools I have ever experienced. As a parent of two boys I couldn't be happier with the school. The academic standards are very high, and the principal had ensured that this students maintain very high achievements. Her leadership and guidance also help the school and students earn extra awards and achievements. The resources available to students are amazaing, from a full science lab and FT science teacher, to Hawaiian and Japanese studies, music, PE, and additional reading and writing instruction from a resource teacher. This is all standard, and if you have any special needs, they have speech pathologists. reading tutors and lots of extra help for students that need it. I am so impressed by the faculty and resources at this school. There are lots of educational field trips and a volunteer coordinator that schedules most of the volunteers that are not volunteering in the classroom directly. They truly value students, parents and volunteers at this school and it my great pleasure to be part of this school. PS If you're moving from the mainland this is one of the best elementary schools in the state. Give it a chance! It's a Military friendly school.

Posted August 23, 2010

One little setback: the PRINCIPAL needs to SMILE MORE OFTEN, especially out in public at the beginning and end of each class day. Mahalo.

Posted May 19, 2010

The teachers are excellent. They obviously enjoy teaching and love working with kids. The field trips and parent/child programs are terrific. However, because of the high standards for academic excellence (which is a good thing, of course!) kids who learn differently aren't fully welcome in the regular classroom. There is a strong push from administration to put special needs children into resource rooms for most or all learning. It gives an impression that these children must be kept out of the way of the students who are expected to succeed easily.

Posted April 13, 2010

There are not so good office staff, but other than that, the school is awesomely great!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 6, 2010

My grandchild been going to Mililani Mauka for the past 3 years. I have never thought there was others that was rudely treated by the office staff and V.P. Yes, I could see that the V.P. is very controlling and rude, the Principle is controlled by the V.P. Many times I walked in to the office, the office staff would be busy talking story until I would have to say 'Excuse me', then I would be helped. The office staff should remember that there are many qualified and helpful people out there looking for a job. As for the teachers, they are all awesome. Their interaction, love and respect they had showed my grandchild, it made her want to learn more. My rating for the teachers is an AWESOME 10.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 46% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

951111 Makaikai St