Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I agree with many here that MME school (the staff and administrators; not so much the teachers) can come off as quite harsh and not personally interested in the what is truly best for the well-being of the child (especially the child's SELF ESTEEM). There's a heeping dose of judgement and a climate of reward and punishment that seems a bit heavy-handed to me, at times. Both the teachers and administrators can come of as being "lost in the weeds" - not seeing the forest for the trees. I very much agree with the Jun 2014 poster who stated that "shame is a big motivator" at this school. I couldn't quite figure out how to articulate what I wanted to say, but this comment nails it right on the head. I want to say that culture might be a factor, but I'm not sure. I think shame is used by schools all across the U.S. - especially in lower grade levels. This is very detrimental to a young child's sense of self. It can set the tone for, "I'm not a good student / person. I do not like school. The school does not like me". It's not a great way to start off, especially if the "issues" are not really significant issues (like a child being overly enthusiastic about an actvity and, say, this resulting in him/her being too loud, or intrustive, or interrupting of others or perhaps running before they are supposed to run, or something like that --- if you shoot that child down enough times in a shameful or harsh way that singles him/her out, the YES, I guess you will accomplish your goal of curbing - or erradicating - his/her enthusiasm REAL QUICK; is that what you want?) Any way: I relate to the "atomosphere of shame" and "harshness" others are referring to. There's a way to do everything. No one's perfect, of course, but if your methods make more than a few parenst cringe... time to take another look. Don't you think? But, raw data - wise: this is a great school. Just don't let the drive to hang on to a ranking cause you to lose sight of what matters most: the kids.

As far as test scores go, this school is an excellent school. Unfortunately, they do not have- in general- nurturing teachers who support the emotional development of kids. There is a lot of competition between the teachers which creates a very regimented, harsh environment, and shame is a huge motivator at this school. My daughter has been there for only 1 year, but I have heard this from numerous parents. I am sure there are some exceptional teachers there, but the competitive environment wears even the best of them down. If your child is a very good student (mine is), they will do well here- although they will probably not receive the praise they are used to. If your student struggles, the extra support is there, but their self esteem may suffer significantly. Parents are also VERY involved.

Excellent school. We've had a great experience here. Teacher, admin and everyone has been wonderful.

People talk about these wonderful teachers that love their jobl? My children have had the meanest teachers that they've ever had their whole life, at this school. These teachers are rude, lacking communication with parents and are bitter.Overall Horrible environment!! Would take all three of them out if I could.

The school is excellent!! The teachers definitely enjoy what they do.....they are so awesome and works so well with the kids!! The principal and VP can be a little personable and smile more but no biggie.....I'm just proud that my boys attend this school. :-)

As a military family, we decided to live off post just so that our child could get a great education. Our expectations have been exceeded. Her teacher is great, and she seems to really love her job. Thanks to her help, my litte struggling reader is back on track. Office staff has always been professional, helpful, and just plain awesome. I would recommend this school to any family!

Parents, your children are not there for the office staff. They are there for the education. While most people try to be friendly, it is not always possible. Some can be aloof, standoffish, or pre-occupied. Could they be nicer in the office Sure! However, be grateful that your children are receiving a great education from qualified teachers. In Hawaii, this is rare. So count your blessings!

I don't know what the problem is. Don't know what you folks are talking about. Stop using this site as a place for your minor grudges! Focus on your childrens education!! There is two sides to a story. There is a handful who had a bad run in. But I bet you folks aren't as sweet as you folks pretend to be?? I'm here to to side with the office staff! Very organized, very helpful!! Very considerate.

I have to agree with the parent below who supports the office staff. All the complaints come in spurts. One person for every spurt. Do you realize these ladies do over 200 new enrollments per year..that is only kindergarten alone!! Not counting the upper grade levels. I come from a school background. If the complaints are 4-5 to 800..you people need to check yourselves!!

I completely agree with all the comments on the admin staff. They really do make you feel a bit uncomfortable. I have witnessed their rudeness to other parents and myself. I have heard many comments in regards to their attitude and hope that this site provides awareness as to where changes need to be made. In regards to academics this school is absolutely exceptional. My child has since graduated but I was very happy with her academic standing at this school and feel it has helped her succeed and continue to do exceptionally well in middle school.

Last modified Mililani Mauka Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.