Mililani High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2 students

Posted June 4, 2014

This school's staff and leadership are excellent. My son has been here for 1 year- for his sophomore year. The teachers he had were amazing- I wish I could name them!

Posted May 23, 2013

I just finished my freshman year at MHS, and I am overall very impressed. I moved here to Oahu from the mainland right before school started. We chose to live in Mililani because the schools looked very good. MHS is definitely a very good high school. A new principal was called this year, and he is very involved. The old principal (also very good) became the superintendent. The teachers are all very good, friendly, and qualified with only a few bad ones here and there. The Pre-AP classes are more accelerated and rigorous than regular classes and have definitely helped me to prepare for AP classes I will be taking next year. I like how this school offers a 15 minute recess break after the first two periods so that students can have a break from their work. I am not involved with athletics but MHS has a very good sports program. The students are overall very friendly and I never had a bad encounter with another student. I was very impressed with my first year at MHS and I look forward to returning next year.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 31, 2013

My daughter attends MHS and the honors and AP program is excellent. The regular classes are not challenging, but overall her experience has been good. She is also in JROTC, this is the first year that they have JROTC and she is learning A LOT in this program. I recommend this school.

Posted February 6, 2013

We moved to Mililani specifically because of this school's rating as the best in the state. We have been here two years and cannot wait to LEAVE! This school is horrible. The teachers couldn't care less about the quality of their instruction. Everything is "group project", in which one or two students do everything, rest do nothing, and yet they all get the same grade. The teachers are not held accountable. We have gone twice with no response either time. First time was over a teacher who taught by throwing a video in every day and telling the kids if they had any questions, to read their books. The kids were all failing and I finally raised so much grief that the counselor transferred my kid to another teacher. Second, a science teacher threw fits, called the kids "incompetent" and other names, kicked lockers in frustration and broke glass beakers on the floor because he didn't like kids wearing open toe shoes. Despite all this, kids are pushed through the grades without basic skills to get them into college. DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS HERE!!!

Posted November 7, 2011

Best public high school you will find on Oahu, hands down. Students (and teachers) are held to a higher standard than in most DOE schools.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 25, 2011

The school is very good at teaching the students what they need for their future and making sure that they pass all of their classes. They punish their students properly by detention such as cleaning up the campus or a teacher's classroom. Only a very small select few of teachers are considered unbearable. Otherwise all of the other teachers are excellent. The school also has a class almost every wednesday that helps us students get ready for life beyond high school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 20, 2011

My son attended his freshman year as a Trojan, and I was very happy with Mililani High School. If it was not for a military move I would have loved to have my son finish high school as a Trojan!

Posted June 20, 2011

Coming from the mainland, we were worried about the reputation of Hawaii public schools. However, we are impressed with Mililani High school. Our daughter is very involved in the music program at MHS. The music instructors are very hard-working and dedicate many extra hours to the programs. The honors/AP classes have been appropriately challenging. The principal is great. He returns calls within a day and gets results. He pushes ALL students to work to their potential. Although we have no experience with the athletic programs, we would recommend this high school to any parent looking for a good, solid education. This school is just as good as any private high school on the island.

Posted September 14, 2010

The review is not intended to be directed toward the students attitude. That comes from the teaching at home. The review is intended to be about the school. The school itself is where one receives their education. I believe my child is receiving a great education here in MHS. That is what is most important. Parents are more involved here and the teachers are not only qualified but care about their students.

Posted February 11, 2008

We have been happy with our experience at MHS. My child has been able to take Honors and Advanced Placement classes that are appropriately challenging. She has participated in the drama program which has several different teachers involved teaching drama, dance, singing, costuming, set design, and lighting. The Mock Trial program has an extremely dedicated teacher involved with it. I like that the students at the school aren't overly competitive as far as the brand of clothes they wear, how their hair is styled, or where they live. Just a nice group of kids overall. There are a number of interesting electives offered. The buildings are in pretty good shape, with some recent updating as well as a new building underway. Many excellent teachers!

Posted February 15, 2005

This is a wonderfully culturally diverse school. There are all kinds of wonderful opportunities for students here at Mililani. The principal is very concerned and the parents are greatly involved also.

Grade level

Biology I

606 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

577 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

578 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Source: Hawaii Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 47% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

951200 Meheula Parkway