Lehua Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded | 381 students

Posted August 26, 2014

I'm sooo glad I moved my child to this school, it is the best school. The teachers and staff are very nice and caring about the students. The principal is the best, to all the military families bring your kids here to Lehua, you won't regret it.

Posted May 21, 2014

Lehua Elementary School is awesome. My son has been enrolled for 1.5 years now and we love it. Both of his teachers have been amazing and have really helped him come out of his shell. The new principal has also been a welcoming change to the school. There are a few things that I would like changed but they are items that would not be easy and would take years so even be considered by the DOE. Overall the school is great and I couldn't imagine having my son at a different school.

Posted August 2, 2013

I was very surprised and somewhat disappointed to learn that GreatSchools considers Lehua to be the worst elementary school in Pearl City. The reality is that it is THE BEST, yet it is underrated simply because it has the most challenging issues to deal with and therefore does not get the high standardized test scores that other schools in the area do. There is a reason that this is the only Lighthouse School in Hawaii, why it is a magnet for students island-wide when it comes to STEM education, and why so many families are absolutely thrilled with the teachers, admin, and staff. As a parent in a military family that moves often, I cannot say how much I appreciate all that has been done for my children by the school. My son and daughter were both greatly inspired by their homeroom teachers and especially by the "Engineering Club" (as far as I know, no other school in the area has this). After we moved to California, my kids were AHEAD and are now EXCELLING IN EVERY SUBJECT. Before you make any final decisions about what school your child will attend, be sure to go check this one out and see for yourself how outstanding it truly is.

Posted April 16, 2012

My experience in this past 3 years at Lehua have been exceptional. When my kids first moved here they had a really hard time adjusting. Half of the admin. staff was out there everyday helping me deal with this situation. They stuck by me for weeks until the waters calmed, never tossed me to the side because they were too busy. The staff did many after hour meetings with me to help guide and boost my son's academic success. I'm greatful for the staff who never quit caring, the counselor's for their great abilities with kids, and for the principle who always made the time.

Posted March 22, 2012

If I could give this school a zero I probably would! My child has been a student here for nearly two years, and this will be the last year of attendance because this school is absolutely horrible. First let me warn military families that move to this area. The teachers and staff are non caring and this includes the principal. We have had a horrible experience in this school. There is a lot of hate towards military families here but at this school in general. The kids are basically allowed to do whatever they wish without any supervision or discipline what so ever. Bullying is out of control and it literally has to become life threating before the staff do anything about it. My child has been to several different schools as a result of being a military child, she is in the 6th grade and learning stuff that she learnt in 3rd grade in the mainland. There is a lack of leadership from the teachers and principal as well!!! I do highly recommend that if you have your child's safety and your child's education in your best interest that you take them somewhere else or you homeschool them. We have recieved notes home about guns, drugs, and fights that have taken place on campus!

Posted February 21, 2012

Sounds like the last parent had a difficult situation - sorry to hear. My experience hasn't been like that for my child. The Princpal is strict but it's in the best interest for all the students and she expects them to follow the school rules. The school has a wonderful program, The Leader in Me, and promotes leadership with all students. They put on Leadership days for special guests (beginning of year) and parents (at the end of the year). The school is next to a park that the older children use for recess but teachers are on the playground with the children. They also have the library and technology lab open at recess for the students to use. Another group is the Campus Beautification that students volunteer during recess to help around campus. I hope that parents try it out before making any judgements based on just what's written.

Posted August 24, 2011

Worst School Ever!! The Principal is harsh and strict and unwilling to address the needs of individual students. We disagreed with her regarding punishment of my child, so she suspended him right then and there. We have fought with this school for equality in education, but it is a cookie-cutter school. The playground is littered with cigarette butts and there is little to no supervision of the children. My son left the school in the middle of the day and called us at home to ask if we had seen him. How was this allowed to even happen! Who is watching my kid!!

Posted May 3, 2011

This is not a good school. Last year, there was an incident due to inadequate supervision. When we showed up to pick up our kids, there were cops at the school. There was no explanation from the school at first, and I heard about the incident 3rd hand. We did not get a note home about the incident until several days later. Also, the safety for the students at this school is terrible! This is a bad neighborhood that surrounds the school and there is no security whatsoever, and kindergartens are allowed to walk by themselves to and from the office, on an open campus. The principal is very unfriendly and harsh, and tried to intimidate my friend who was seeking a Geographical Exception to another school (I guess she didn't like that). DO NOT enroll your students at this school, seek a Geographical Exception to another school.

Posted April 17, 2011

This school disgusts me! From homeless people living on the playground to a naked man walking in front of the campus while there were children at recess. Complaints to the administration are brushed off and the parents are simply told "there is nothing we can do.." It seems that the safety of the students is at the bottom of Lehua's priority list. There is no AC in half of the classrooms, the children come home from school covered in mosquito bites in the midst of a Degue Fever alert. Children eat their lunch in a cafeteria swarming with flies. It's sad that the state of Hawaii does not put proper funding into public education and Lehua Elementary is a prime example. I will not allow my child to return next year! Homeschool your children before enrolling them at Lehua Elementary!

Posted March 15, 2011

Outstanding school! My 2 boys are attending and they have both displayed increased knowledge and interest in most everything. Oldest son attended K and is in 1st, younger son attending K. The current Principal is awesome and caring - she always makes time to listen and has provided unique insights into a child psyche. The K teachers are without a doubt exceptional! I love the extra activities I have been able to participate in because it is personally rewarding to be involved with my children s learning. Some of those activities included: Star Assemblies, field trips, art & crafts, reading adventures, book fairs and classroom visits (there's so much more). Being involved is the key to success and enabling your child to be better learners, and I feel that Lehua Elementary is one of those promising places that make this possible through their caring nature and 'Habits of Success'.

Posted April 26, 2010

Outstanding academic level, great caring and loving faculty, teachers are just great! My husband is in the millitary and my son studied there by the time we were there and we just simply loved it! The experience made a huge difference in my sons life!

Posted April 26, 2010

This school made a huge difference in a wonderful lil boys life. He had many difficulties and moved from school to school growing up. This was done in an attempt to find a school that could help him focus and become more interested in the material. After attending Lehua Elementary while his dad was stationed in HI he made such an impressive change. He is more focused, motivated and overall his grades have shown great improvement. Thank you, Lehua Elementary School

Posted November 19, 2009

I've been at Lehua for many many years (decades). I truly love our school! Our students come and go through Lehua very quickly since most of our students' parents are in the military. Through the years I have made wonderful longlasting friendships with my students. It's great to keep in touch with them throughout the world and to see that they have grown up into successful caring adults. When our students come back to visit they are very appreciative of the learning and values that were instilled upon them while they were here. No matter what school our children attend, we will get the best results when we (parents, teachers and students) are willing to put in the effort, hard work, time and commitment!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 3, 2009

THe teachers take time to listen to the parents and time for the kids.

Posted April 8, 2008

My child went to Lehua from 1st to the middle of his 3rd grade year. The only reason he attended the school was because it was in our geographical area. As soon as I could get him out of that school, I did. The only good year he had was 2nd grade with Mrs. Miatta. She was the best teacher. His third grade teacher was way too young to be teaching 3rd grade. And of course they failed their testing for 3rd grade the previous year so I pulled him out and it took me two months to get all of his paperwork together. They 'lost' his geographical exception papers and everything. If you don't have to send your child to Lehua dont.

Posted January 19, 2006

I would like to express my sincerest appreciation to the staff at Lehua Elementary School for taking such good care of my kids. Both my kids have attended this school since kindergarten and have had nothing but positive experiences. The staff that I have had direct contact with over the years have been the teachers (especially 5th & 6th grade), counselor, health nurse, and PSAP coordinator of which all have taken extra time out of their already busy day to hear my concerns and help me develop a plan that would benefit my son. Communication and consistency with this staff has provided my children and me a strong foundation for what the future brings in the public school system.

Posted January 5, 2006

There is one word to represent this school, outstanding! my son in 4th grade says he likes the teacher,people and the class work. He is getting very good grades from his intelligent teacher. This is unusual but he also likes the food. Some times it's pizza, soup and many more delicious foods. That's all I have to say about this awesome school.

Posted July 16, 2005

My children and I will be going into our fourth year at Lehua In August 2005. We are all looking forward to it because with every year it gets better! Lehua has come a very long way. This past school year 2004-2005 was the best yet, since being involved. Our Principal a is very hands on with the Staff/Students/Parents. It's not too often you see your child's principal out in the parking lot early in the morning opening car doors to greet the children. Unfortunately, we do have a great turnover in students because of our military children in the area. Our parents are very active in the school. If you are considering sending your children to this school. Please stop by and walk the campus and visit with our principal, she does have an open policy and remember 'WE do CARE.'

Posted June 6, 2005

Wow! I have had 3 years of experience as a very involved parent and have had a wonderful experience here. My children are at an equal or advanced level of education as some of their friends in private schools here. They have loved their teachers and been very happy there. The level of parent involvement can be a challenge and that is a huge goal for the school. The principal is very accessible and has an open -door policy for parents to address any concerns they might have. No school can be everything to everyone or please everyone but it should also be noted that many students have geographic exemptions in order to attend this school not get away from it. I look forward to the next school year at this school that is very special to our family.

Posted January 5, 2005

Run as hard and fast away from this school as you can! Nightmare! Many parents have chosen Geographic Exemptions after experiencing problems. This school suffers from a poor level of education, influx of staff and students, lack of caring and concern for students health and well being. Test scores do not adequately reflect level of education gained at Lehua since student turn over is high due to the military. Suggest you check out local schools and see how the office staff treats you, how the students behave at recess and lunch prior to registering your child.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A49%

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

791 Lehua Ave