Highlands Intermediate School

Public | 7-8 & ungraded | 957 students

Posted December 13, 2013

Highlands Intermediate is a very good school when it comes to academic, however its sad to say that its a lot of favoritism toward Asian kids in this school. If your child is not local Japanese, good luck.

Posted September 14, 2013

Highlands Intermediate is a good school,lots of extracurricular activities for the students and great teachers.

Posted September 10, 2013

I'm a proud student of Highlands Intermediate.The school is awesome and the teachers are awesome.Yaaaaay!!

Posted August 27, 2013

Highlands Intermediate is a very good school.This is my child's last yr.at the school and I have to say that the teachers are really good,from Band to all the other subjects,math,English,science,social studies etc.They are hardworking teachers.The science club teacher I think her name is Mrs Lin.correct me if I'm wrong,she's there at the school every single day including non school days,outstanding teacher.All the teachers are great including the principal.Glad that my child is going to this school.

Posted July 20, 2013

I reported the reviewer dated June 28, 2013. Calling people names is not writing a review. The spelling was horrible and, in my opinion, the lack of punctuation shows this is not a student who cares about academics.

Posted March 5, 2012

I am a current student at this school. :) I transfered for the first time in my life to become a 7th grader. In other words I came from Elementary to Intermediate. I was nervous at first but they proved that middle school isn't as bad as people say it is.The teachers are nice and they are concerned when someone ever gets bullied. But that barley ever happens. There are many electives to choose from and many after school clubs like robotics. The school structure may be old but it is still in good shape.

Posted January 11, 2012

It's an awesome school to be in. I'm a student at this school and my teachers are very nice to me and they give me help when I need it. Highlands Intermediate school also has a variety of after school activities and clubs. I'm currently in the Jr. LEO club and I am the homeroom representative in my homeroom. There is plenty of electives to choose from for 8th and 7th grade. This school also has things that are fun for those who do good in school like going to bowling and ice skating field trips. Did I mention the Highlands Got Talent at this school? The winner gets to be in Brown Bags to Stardom. I love this school very much and hope that many others will too!

Posted February 16, 2010

Its a great school. I am currently a student in HIS. Thererlots of activities and clubs: Math team, Sciene club, Robotics club, National Honors Society, Student government, etc. Being in these clubs, you can have chances to go on field trips for competition and tournaments. You can have a chance to participate in the Science Fair and National History day. The teachers are nice, they wont scold you for nothing; they are really kind. They have great electives: Band, Art, Cooking. They recently added Japanese a their language course so you can earn highschool credit when your in middle school. It has a big campus too! There is library, bandrooms, portables, etc. Youll have fun being in this school in your 7th and 8th grade years. It is a highly recommended school.

Posted January 26, 2010

This school has an excellent education program in which students are split into teams so they have a sense of bonding. Teachers also help to make the school a safe learning environment by stopping all disruption that may arise from any high school student. Also, Highlands excels in doing well at competition that are held around the nation. I have enjoyed my time at Highlands and i would recommend the school to everyone I know.

Posted February 14, 2009

I think Highlands is a great place to be and that it's a great place to be. I honestly wouldn't want be anywhere else. The activities are great and all the people there are nice.

Posted February 9, 2009

Teachers are great. Commetted to the students. Great enrichment programs, after school activites, Lego and FIRST robotics teams, and great staff. School infrastructure needs some renovation, but that is a DOE budget problem not the school. Teachers and staff are willing to help out to stretch the school budget. Active encouragement of Parent involvment. There is a small number of kids with behavior problems, but there is no problem keeping good kids away from it. Ohh! Band is great!! My son who was forced to take it (by his good for nothing parents :-) ) now loves the Alto Sax.

Posted September 22, 2008

LIttle concern from teachers and staff for safety, academics, and ethics. I would not send my children back to this school. When I withdrew them to another school - there was no hesitation whatsover - it was a common occurrence, forms were preprinted and ready just for the asking. That alone should say something.

Posted October 19, 2007

HIS is a great school. My son just came from a DoDEA school on Guam and I was very concerned about him fitting in with the locals and bullying issues. However, he hasn't had any problems and has many friends of various ethnicities there. The teachers are wonderful and stay on top of the students daily with the use of an agenda that is stamped by the teacher. It is very helpful in collaborating. Being both a former teacher and a parent, this school gets an A+

Posted March 28, 2007

I am a former student HIS and currently attend PCHS. I am appalled by the first review written by a parent of a transfer student. The two years I have been at HIS, I had no problem with the curriculum whatsoever. I was in Honors English and Math both years. My 8th grade year they made a 'Honors' science class even though it wasn't a different course. We just went through the material at a slightly faster pace. However, the teachers were teaching the right curriculum. Algebra was the 8th grade Honors math. So, 11th grade math would most likely be trigonometry. How in the world would a teacher teach an 8th grader trig when they don't even know geometry? That is ridiculous and I believe this parent was going out of their minds when typing their review. This is a great school!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 24, 2006

This is a great school.

Posted August 15, 2006

My child transferred into the school from honors level classes in the Southeast while class president and having placement on the Duke University List. Teacher and counselor indifference to her adjustment need, the school failed my child adjust to a new way of teachnig in Hawaii. Consequently my child almost failed in every class for the year. The second year was worse. Fortunately, Term 2 removal to general level classes and costly private tutoring helped my child graduate to high school. Teachers were so concerned about 'filling squares' on standardized tests that teaching the students became an abandoned chore for both school years. In honors math, for example, the teachers were teaching the 8th grade students at the 11th grade level on a 200% acccelerated teaching schedule (trying to finish the entire year of 11th grade study by Christmas.) A one-day illness and there's no catching up for the student!

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

494 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

493 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Source: Hawaii Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

478 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

477 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 29% in 2013.

471 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Source: Hawaii Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 48% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 38%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1460 Hoolaulea St